1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIME TRUNK SPACE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Andyprius1, Feb 8, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Jay that's a big paper airplane.
    No argument that Gen2 is one helluva practical vehicle.
    I think the key point is everyone will choose a vehicle based on personal requirements.
    I like space and I've just about never could buy a sedan, had 4 minivans, and 2 stations wagons prior to Prius.

2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    That's the spirit! So it looks like you *do* value vertical space then. And uh...that is your 2004...not the Prime. The fact still remains...the Prime has very little cargo space.

And yes, I hate to break this to you...but many stores are going back to paper bags ( trader Joes, etc.. ). Some communities have even banned plastic...but lets not get into that here. Also, many DO like the cargo cover so the sun doesn't melt frozen items, etc...

Prius Maximus likes this.
  3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know where you got that from.

Which I said.

I took detailed measurements and pictures of the Prime's cargo area, and compared them to my 2004 before I ordered my Prime. The Prime is actually larger in most dimensions, smaller only in height to the glass, and only by a little.

The fact remains that what you said isn't a fact.

If I buy frozen items, I drive straight home, and the stores I shop at are all within 2 miles of my house. I've used the tonneau cover about 10 times in the 13 years I've owned my 2004.

The big thing I'll miss from the Prime is the underfloor storage. But the G4 lift-back doesn't have it either. So I took detailed measurements of every little storage element in the Prime and figured out how to put everything I store in those places or replace the things I store with similar items that will fit and serve the same purpose.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Paper?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stores are going to canvas bags, not paper. Selling you those for reuse, rather than having to supply something for you to carry your purchase, is what we're seeing now. As for not melting frozen items, that's what the insulted bags are for. Of course, most people don't have to drive extreme distances for groceries anyway. And if you want a cool drive, start up the A/C remotely before leaving. That's a clear benefit of having that battery-pack. You can also draw electricity for that directly from the charging-station.

6. cjp767

cjp767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great inputs about the storage space-- and thank you, john for reminding us of the Prime's remote AC!

For reference, I measured my 2010 Liftback, trim level 5-- 14" between the cargo floor and the cargo cover. The cargo floor is about even with the bumper. And, of course, the added bonus of having the under deck storage bin and a spare tire.

And finally, I measured a 2017 Liftback trim level 4-- 18" between the cargo floor and the cargo cover. The cargo floor is a few inches below the bumper. No under deck storage, no spare tire.

At first, I was worried about the 14" storage space on my 2010 because it looked so small, but it hasn't been an issue. I'd bet the Prime's 11" as mentioned earlier in the thread, won't be an issue either. I think, generally, with folding seats, we'll be fine with nearly all shopping trips, including Costco.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. In Bob's post #74 (PRIME TRUNK SPACE | Page 4 | PriusChat) the person in the video says 26 cu. ft. for HV/PHV and 23 cu. ft. for EV. If they're using the same EPA measurements, then the Ioniq has the Prime absolutely beat. And again, it's a more usable cargo space, the Ioniq, because there are no weird enclaves or odd-angle walls. It's fairly rectangular.

farmecologist likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't 'prime trunk space' an oxymoron?

9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for being another voice of reason here. I'm tired of arguing about grocery bags :). While measurements of the Ioniq would be nice, they really are not needed. The difference is extremely easy to see from the great videos folks have posted in this thread.

And yes, Trader Joes actually does use an actual, genuine, paper bag....imagine that. Maybe I should take a picture of one. :whistle: I get the feeling many here don't seem to do any research whatsoever...but spout their 'mouth' off for whatever reason...maybe to get their post count up?

On another thread there are pics of the Ioniq Hybrid cargo area. Looks nice! It can actually hold an actual, genuine, paper bag with the cargo cover on. And from what I've read/seen...in this actual thread...the Ioniq plugin will also be able to hold an actual, genuine, paper bag with the cargo cover on. Yes, some of us like the cargo cover...sorry about that!

Can we put the paper bag issue to rest now please? :confused:

10. bowang

bowang Member

Height reduction is apparent from gen2 to prime. But width and length about the same. Or slightly larger per Lee Jay's measurement.
    Cargo space comparison copied from Asian Prius forum.

image.jpeg

lupo22, pizzabad, iplug and 6 others like this.
  11. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I always carry reusable cloth bags with me for shopping. I plan to put a couple of plastic storage containers in the back to hold them upright.

My salesperson said 'scrap the torneau cover. I throw a dark colored blanket over stuff.'

farmecologist likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can someone please post a video of themselves climbing into the prime hatch and shutting it? thank you.:)

Ferrarilover and farmecologist like this.
  13. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think the trunk will hold an ox or a moron.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think Gen2 not only has lower floor but more space over Tonneau cover due to more sedan-like roof shape in Gen4. Not to mention Gen2 underfloor 2.5-ft3. And Gen3 is more than Gen2, probably +2ft3 over Gen2. .

#94 wjtracy, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  15. Bobdski

Bobdski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Since the tonneau cover is suspended not ridged it effectively works like a blanket. I like it much than the retractable over I had in my Impreza.

16. alpilotx

alpilotx New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    Thats definitely true with the roof box ... but in my case, (and I will always emphasize that this is a personal decision) I will need it 2-3 times per year (at most) .... and the rest of the year the trunk is plentiful ... Thus - for me - its an acceptable trade off ...

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Check the post above yours.

I agree on that point, but another option is a cargo rack that installs into a hitch; enclosed, hard shell ones are available too. Depending on the car model, its a trade off of potentially restricted access to the hatch or trunk for less intrusion into the air stream. I'm trying to convince my wife that or the roof rack on our Sonic will work for long trips so it will be easier to let go of the slowly rusting Sable.

Going back the Ioniq, the Sonic doesn't have supported clamp on roof rack either. There are universal roof racks that have anchor points permanently installed on the roof. Such should work with the Ioniq, and would be more secure than clamps.

The Sonic is one and half to two classes smaller than the Prime though. Many looking at the Prime wouldn't expect to need a roof rack or hitch rack to just carry their regular luggage on a trip. Some will come to realize that the less volume isn't a big deal, but it is a hurdle to a sale. I do believe much of the negative reactions to the Prime's cargo area is based upon how obvious the space loss is.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  18. Primeinmountains

Primeinmountains New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prime trunk space is just right. I've never had an issue with groceries fitting yet. And more importantly, no one has asked me to help them move.:D

19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base