1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIME TRUNK SPACE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Andyprius1, Feb 8, 2017.

1. wabclock

wabclock New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I put an old quilt around the front of the ladder incase it sides forward and to protect the seat. There's a hump around the middle where the reclined front and back seat meet and that keeps the ladder from moving around. There is more than a foot clearance between the ladder and the dash. It's also fits with just the right side rear seat reclined but in the photo I had the left side down to hold some boxes.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As far as i know,the Ioniq PHV will have the same cargo space as the full electric has,but is still is way better than the Prime.
    Ioniq Hybrid has about 45 cm (~17. 71 inches) between the floor and the cover,while the full electric "only" has 40 cm ( ~15.74 inches).
    Compared to the only 27 cm (~10.63 inches) between floor and cover the Prime gives us,Toyota has been put to shame by Hyundai considering boot space !

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will continue to claim that vertical space is largely useless. I need floor space, and a few inches of extra height won't make any practical difference because most things I put back there don't stack very well.

Db17 likes this.
  4. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It works for me. My entire drum set fits with the seats folded down. And to make sure it did I took it to the dealership before I bought the car.

So ultimately, it is what it is. If there's something you need to carry just give it a try. If you need a pickup then buy a pickup ;)

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe that article got it wrong. The Ioniq PHEV loses space to the battery compared to the hybrid. The Electric doesn't lose more space for the bigger battery, but switches the independent rear suspension for a smaller torsion beam.

wjtracy likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I adjusted the SAE numbers. I forgot I have the prelim specs from the 2016 NYIAS press days. The SAE numbers are larger than the Prime.

I just remembered I have the prelim specs for the Ioniq from last year's NYIAS. The PHEV and EV do have the same trunk space. I revised the SAE numbers to reflect that. I still don't have official VDA numbers but at least we know they're rated identically for SAE.

Yes that's correct. The switch to torsion beam on the EV was to maintain trunk space.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK it figures, the press was wrong again! Fake news.

I see, indeed the USA Hyundai site finally has specs for all 3 models HEV, PHEV = EV
    IONIQ Plug_in Hybrid
    PASSENGER VOLUME 96.2 cu. ft.
    CARGO (TRUNK) VOLUME 23.8 cu. ft.
    TOTAL INTERIOR VOLUME 120.0 cu. ft.

So it's showing 23.8-ft3 vs. 19.8-ft3 for Prime.

Let me tell you how I personally interpret these USA numbers-
    The only "true" number to me here above is the TOTAL volume. After that, that USA specs seem to give liftbacks flexibility to split the PASSENGER and CARGO space with some creative license.

So now, let's compare IONIQ to Prime, assuming the USA TOTAL volume is a true and meaningful volume number:
    Prius Prime Plug_in Hybrid
    PASSENGER VOLUME 91.5 cu. ft.
    CARGO (TRUNK) VOLUME 19.8 cu. ft.
    TOTAL INTERIOR VOLUME 111.3 cu. ft.

> OK there you have my version of the truth. IONIQ is a bigger car inside by 8.7-ft3 (246 liters)
    > Re: Cargo Space - We can argue til the cows come home, but I see little truth in those numbers.
    > I do not see TOTAL volume quoted in other country's specs...score +1 for USA there (-1 on U.S. CARGO space)

NOTE: above numbers presumably do not include any under floor space for IONIQ or Prime.

#127 wjtracy, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around that the Gen 4/Prime is nearly 5 cu. ft. smaller in passenger volume. Even the legroom in the Ioniq is greater than that of the Gen 4/Prime but yet when I sit inside, it feels smaller.

Edit: Gen 4 is 93.1 cu. ft. for passenger volume.

#128 Tideland Prius, Apr 10, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the IONIQ hybrid is only 122.7-ft3 TOTAL vs. Prius Gen4 2eco 120.5-ft3 TOTAL.
    So the IONIQ Plug_in seems to do a better job of space conservation than Prime.

One would think the rear bucket seats in Prime might save some volume due to no middle seat, and even with that +vol benefit the prime is down on volume quite a bit vs. hybrid

#129 wjtracy, Apr 10, 2017
    KrPtNk likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but it makes it up in cargo volume. I'm thinking some of that extra volume is down low by the footwell in the Ioniq. (e.g. tuck the passenger's legs under the glovebox area to maintain front legroom, allowing the seat to be placed farther forward, thus increasing rear legroom measurement +2.3" over the Gen 4). Again, sitting in the auto show (twice now), it doesn't feel more spacious than the Prius. It feels like a compact car. Yet the 35.7" of rear legroom is similar to the Gen 3 (36.0).

Using total legroom

Ioniq: 77.9"
    Gen 3: 78.5"
    Gen 4: 75.7

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume no spare tire in IONIQ hybrid?
    I think we get some underfloor space in IONIQ too so even more space there?

12. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Numbers just numbers !
    How do they measure leg room ?
    They put the front seat back as far as possible and we all know that in gen 4 the front seat goes more back than you really need it to go,even if you are over 6 feet tall!
    I sat in the Ioniq and while leg room is not bad,Prius is still more spacious!
    Headroom in the back is also better in a Prius !
    Going just by numbers the Ioniq Hybrid is the most efficient hybrid (58 mpg) car sold in the US up to date,but putting them side by side reveals the truth !
    Ioniq hybrid couldn't beat the Prius in German car magazine test by far,so why should it beat the Prius in the US ?
    By now everybody should know Toyota was beeing very pessimistic with their numbers and that the 4. Gen Prius is capable of way more than just 52 mpg !
    But as I said ,just numbers !
    Considering the boot space though,Toyotas 360 Litres mean the overall space up to the roof,while the 350 Litres of the Ioniq is just the space between cargo floor and cover ignoring the space above!
    We have to keep in mind though that both cars have a different configuration,so it maybe possible that the backseats are a little higher in the ioniq !?

Putting them side by side you don't really see the difference you would expect going by the numbers but maybe ist just the camera perspective! !?

Screenshot_2016-10-05-22-51-18.png

Screenshot_2016-10-05-22-52-27.png

#132 civicdriver06, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  13. unicorn

unicorn Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are comparing the trunk spaces then you should consider an overall "safety" as well.
    Koji Toyoshima (the chief engineer for the Prius): "It's a tall order to develop a lithium-ion car battery which can perform reliably and safely for 10 years, or over hundreds of thousands of kilometres. ... We have double braced and triple braced our battery pack to make sure they’re fail-safe … It’s all about safety, safety, safety.”
    Hiroaki Takeuchi (senior Toyota engineer involved in the development): "Our control system can identify even slight signs of a potential short-circuit in individual cells, and will either prevent it from spreading or shut down the entire battery" ... "The environment where our lithium-ion batteries are produced is not quite like the clean rooms where semiconductors are made, but very close."
    Warming to lithium-ion, Toyota charges up its battery options| Reuters
    So, I believe that Prime's trunk space is the best possible compromise regarding the highest safety typical for Toyota.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is where things like the roof line affect the perception of space.

The US has total volume listed because that is how the EPA places cars in their size classes. Other places can easily use some other metric, like exterior dimensions, if they have such official class divisions.

Appears no spare is correct. In addition, Hyundai is following Toyota's limited color palette for the Ioniq.
    Interior measurements are done by SAE procedure, that spell out seat position for a dummy that represents a majority of the population in size.

The Asian and European Ioniq(and Niro) didn't get all the goodies that are going into the American model. The deletion of the 12 volt starter battery is one, and the software will benefit from nearly a year of on road testing.

Toyota is a conservative company that had heavily invested in NiMH production. Keep that in mind when the release statements about other battery chemistries. At this point, I think all the other car companies have more Li-ion experience than them.

15. unicorn

unicorn Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so. Toyota started with batteries/hybrids in 70's. They used the NiMH batteries mainly from safety reasons.
    The problem with Li-ion is that some lithium ions are remaining behind on the anode and finally, the battery reaches a point where it can no longer do its job since it cannot recharge. Toyota has developed “the world’s first method for observing the behaviour of lithium ions in an electrolyte when a battery charges and discharges” using the Spring-8 synchrotron, a ring with a 5,000 ft diameter. It could lead to a better charge and a longer life. From this point of view, Toyota is a top company in Li-ion battery research.
    Toyota Makes Breakthrough Battery Discovery, Hopes To Increase EV Range By 15%

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The MITI LEV program that was looking into electric vehicles, hybrids, and fuel cells did start back in the 70's, and it also included other car companies in addition to Toyota. The Prius came out of this program. The BEVs that came from it only used lead acid or NiMH, like the EV1 of the era. Commercial Li-ion was still new and mostly limited to portable devices. No major car company was using it in a car's traction pack.

They started switching to Li-ion in order to get around the large format NiMH patents that prevented that chemistry from use in plug ins, and to avoid the risk of losing NiMH supply to Toyota. At that time Li-ion cost more than NiMH. In terms of having a lithium powered car for sale, Toyota has as much experience in Li-ion management(I forgot about the three seat row Prius alpha/+) as the other car companies.

Where everyone else dropped NiMH, or never went there, Toyota is still making use of NiMH in their hybrids, and even plug ins. this is because they want to wring every cent out of their investment. It is the same reason the Yaris and base Corolla have a 4 speed automatic transmission, while the rest of the industry has moved on to 6 or more speeds or CVTs.

The US federal tax credit was written upon the prediction that we could see a 7% improvement in Li-ion costs year over year. It has actually faster than that, and includes over improvements to the batteries. Taking the timeline to introduction from the Toyota engineers, their breakthrough is on par with what is going on through out the battery industry.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Prime is significantly wider than the Ioniq. Everyone in this thread is just focusing on height.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  18. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had three punctures in my Prius - none of them were due to bad roads. All were due to various building construction projects that left debris such as roofing nails on the road.

kevin

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  19. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, well my entire PA, mic & boom, guitars, tip jar, guitar amp, and my fat butt all fit nicely in my Prime Advanced on my last gig at Brix Huntington Beach,
    so there! Har, har, har. All silliness aside, these cars offer great storage, comfort and reliable, highly fuel efficient service. The Prime also offers very interesting and (so far) reliable tech features for us car nuts.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Sharong812, bisco and Insirt like this.
  20. 34Hupp

34Hupp 1934 Hupmobile - Americas 1st Aerodynamic

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm surprised that no one (that I have seen) has mentioned (complained about) the extended overhang (additional 4"+) of the rear bumper. I'm 6' tall, and I find it rather uncomfortable loading heavy objects and reaching to place them up against the back of the rear seats (where there's enough height to clear the glass). When I first looked at the Prime, I thought I could live with the reduced trunk space; I now wish I had taken a "test load" rather than a "test drive". Even the reusable grocery bags stand up above the rear seats and are seen in the rear view mirror, and render the Advanced Cargo Cover useless. There is not enough height in the cargo area to install a Bag Net, and the supplied fold out cargo hooks are so low, they not much use. From 2006 Prius, to 2012 PIP, and now Prime Advanced, I'm losing a lot of practicality in the cargo area. I wonder if Gen 5 will be able to hold my Laptop PC under the cargo cover! Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with the Prime.

Mendel Leisk, bisco and farmecologist like this.