1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime up close, mixed feelings

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by 4rpr15, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just below 300hp on a V6, 0-60 in 7 seconds, awd. But the Prime has so much this doesn't.....am I crazy? Some might say, but my '16 Prius (listed in my profile pic) was so sweet. I made an honest mistake and go go bigger. Now I'm at a measly 25mpg 380 miles 16 gallons. I'm taller, safer, faster with more cargo room. But something else is missing.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I charge as much as 3 times/day, not necessarily from completely empty. 90% of my charging is at home on L2 charger in under 2 hours; the rest I charge at clients' or family's homes. Like you, I tend to drive freeways on the weekends, averaging over 200 miles during the weekend. I've been forced to use much more A/C recently due to the over 90° temperatures.

4rpr15 likes this.
  3. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh I wouldn't go for an L2 though. A 240v would cost me $2k with installation.

4. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    11 miles each way!! I'm envying you right now. I'd drive my vette every day at that point. Get a vette. Or a WRX. Or ride a bike to work. Get anything. Three series. The possibilities are endless.

jaqueh and 4rpr15 like this.
  5. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not if you want to stay alive in Socal area I live in!!

4rpr15 likes this.
  6. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Lol, why are you opposed to using the EV range in the Prime in my case on my way to work and back home?

7. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Because you can own any car that you want. This is such a poor excuse for an actual car for the joy of having a car if you don't need it for the gas savings.

I don't know you. I'm biased. I worship at the alter of horsepower. If you want a comfortable and efficient car, buy a Prime.

At 11 miles- Indian Scout. Go for two wheels.

jaqueh and 4rpr15 like this.
  8. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Safer than a bike, and quieter than those ICE creatures; the Prime EV mode is quiet like a bike and safe, comfortable, with plenty of room, and quirkily different from the peasant mobiles out there. Oh and thankfully incredibly RELIABLE !!!

The sad fact about horsepower cars, is that you can no longer truly enjoy them in the modern traffic environment, at least that we have here in Southern California. Of course my ideal solution was to have the high performance car, coupled with a highly efficient economical car. Here the problem is the costs are so high with insurance outrageously out of reach, and cops always looking for you if you have a high performance car. I got tired of getting speeding tickets. You only get a few days of pleasure each week for so much money. I finally had to make a decision on which car to keep, and the money said you have to go with the Prius Prime!!

#68 HPrimeAdvanced, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    4rpr15 likes this.
  9. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Gotcha. Your basing the fact of me driving 10k miles a year. I'll be honest. I've come to the point where I hate filling up with gas. I just hate it. My Highlander would cost me about a grand in a year of gas. I know I know. Why didn't I think of this before I bought it.

I was so close to buying a Chevy Bolt EV. When I seen it in person I turned around.

10. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The bolt has a 0-60 around 6 seconds, and is incredibly fast. The Prime is an around a crowded city transportation device with great handling for the occasional excursion to the backcountry.

Like many have mentioned, get a bike and then for the other half of the year get something you'd actually enjoy. I don't think you're going to like the prime.

11. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I like new tech, using no gas going to work and the Prius culture. Let's face it. The Bolt EV looks like an oversized matchbox car.

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  12. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I love my Prius Prime. Hell I flew to Portland Maine to buy it, drove the car back to Wisconsin, over the weekend like a madman for less than $60.00. And since I have been back I have only spend 24.00 in gas and still have a full tank. Plus made a round trip from Milwaukee WI to Wausau WI (300 miles). Used to cost me about $75 for that drive alone.
    My job pays me milage and with EV mode, my work pays my electric bill at home plus some after that.
    Before my Prime I drove a 2002 Honda CRV AWD and got 20 to 24 depending on how I drove. When I drove the CRV round trip from Milwaukee WI to Wausau Wi (300 miles) it would cost about $75.00 for that trip alone. Most months I was spending about $150 to 200 for gas.
    I do like the styling line on the Prime. I think the car is a technological marvel. Hell it even parrell parks itself better than I can.
    And what is most important about the Prime to me is that I can teach my 6 year old daughter about a car using alternative energy to fuel itself. That is something that she is going to remember even after I am done living on this earth. One day she will say to her kids, "I remember when my dad had a car and he would let me help him plug it in every night so we could drive places."
    Yes, I do throughly enjoy my Prius Prime.

13. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I totally agree! I do miss driving by gas stations and laughing. I don't drive a. It. If miles per year, but I also have children and it would be so cool to show them what the Prime is all about!

Do you use adaptive cruise control?

#73 4rpr15, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017
  14. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes I do and I like it.

HPrimeAdvanced and 4rpr15 like this.
  15. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I will have to try using it on trips to Chicago. Do you charge daily?

16. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, charge every day. And I am having level 2 charging installed.

AND the adaptive cruse control is my friend in stop and go traffic.

pilotgrrl, HPrimeAdvanced and 4rpr15 like this.
  17. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What has been the most popular color. I'm leaning towards Silver, but the more I look at dark gray it appeals to me.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think red is the big one, hard to find.

19. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sorry I meant to ask as far as the silvers go

20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if there is any stat on numbers sold by color. Choice of color is totally personal preference, IMHO. Some people love the Blue Magnetism which is unique color for Prime that's not available for regular Gen4 Prius as I understand, but I could not imagine myself being happy with that color, so I did not even check the dealer that had only blue Prime in stock. My choice was Blizzard Perl, Hypersonic Red, and Magnetic Gray, in that order of preference before seeing them real. When I saw all three colors at dealer, I decided on Gray, and I am quite happy with the decision. I like nice blending of front grill, which is black in all color scheme, with the rest of body. More importantly, it didn't cost me extra for special color like other two, and it does hide dirt and soil quite well. I am not a kind who wash a car and wax every weekend.;)

4rpr15 likes this.