1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime vs. Hyundai Ioniq

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by keithjam, Dec 2, 2016.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Maybe you're in a California bubble. I get lots of ads (TV, internet) for Tundra and Tacoma here. Their current (sell-a-thon) national level ads feature their ICE cars. I haven't seen a Prius ad since the infamous superbowl campaign that (to me) glorified criminal activity even if it was tongue-in-cheek. Every green car forum I regularly visit complain that their (fill in the blank here) isn't advertised enough.

#301 fotomoto, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The two can go head to head all they want. Result will be more and more hybrid cars built with both reliability and sportiness.

Bluecar1 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've always prided myself for my selection of "different" cars: Alfa Romeo Spider Boatails, GTV's, Milano Verde; Acura Type R, Insight 3 cylinder hybrid coupe. Then I bought a 2012 Prius Plug-in like a billion other people (or so it seemed) in California. It looked like everybody else's car, and several times, I mistakenly tried to enter the wrong white Prius! Finally I purchased a Prime Advanced; I'm back to unusual cars again! I think we may often want to see our cars advertised to somehow validate our purchase, yet it is nice to not be like everybody else, to be instead, ahead of the curve! Trust me, sooner than you think, our cars will become pretty common, thanks to a growing positive reputation from happy satisfied owners, the best advertising there is!!

Bluecar1, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: [Newsmaker] Trump says to weigh withdrawal from S. Korea trade deal

US President Donald Trump said Saturday he would meet with his advisers next week to weigh a possible withdrawal from the US free trade agreement with South Korea.

Trump made the remark to journalists during a trip to hurricane-hit Houston, Reuters said, shortly after the move was reported by the Washington Post.

Citing multiple sources close to the process, the paper said Trump has instructed advisers to prepare for the withdrawal, but several White House officials are trying to stop him.

So what happens to the Ioniq if Trump ...

Bob Wilson

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On a side note, I got my fix of "giggles" last night as a Dodge Neon kept trying to beat me off the line from stop light to stop light. Kept up with him all the way to the next light. What was funnier, he would burn rubber while I took off like a rocket (therefore losing time and position), then he tried to pass me only to find that the time it took to shift gears made him loose even more. Too funny.

6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I get this sort of thing too...but it is usually people in Mercedes, BMW, or fancy jacked up pickup trucks. It always seems to happen on a short stretch of 4 lane divided road on the way to the highway entrance ramp (50 MPH speed limit). I turn right onto this road and get into the left lane in preparation to turn left onto the entrance ramp. Then the person behind me ( who is following me ) seems to think their fancy vehicle will blow away my Prius and they attempt to pass me in the right lane. It usually doesn't happen ( unless they really speed...remember the speed limit is 50 MPH ). I'm not even really pushing the acceleration too hard either. The hilarious thing is...it really seems to piss them off when they realize they can't out-accelerate a lowly Prius. :D

On the flip side....I *will* say that some Prius drivers drive me nuts too...even though I drive one. Earlier this week I was stuck behind another Prius that was going 55 or so in a 65 MPH zone. They were accelerating...but *very* slowly ( obviously playing the MPG game ). The funny thing is that it was exactly the same model/color as mine! I was finally was able to get around them but dang it people...at least go the speed limit when someone is behind you. This sort of behavior gives us Prius drivers a bad name!

7. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Prime is surprisingly quick. I also occasionally like to take a jab at off-the-line racing with Audi SUV's, big trucks, Dodge Hemi's, Mustangs, etc.
    I know that they're surprised especially since I'm always in Stealth Mode, and they can't hear me revving up as I'm racing them!! What's even cooler is, there's no evidence of "exhibition of speed" violation with my car!! No loud engine roar, no laying rubber; let the other guy get the ticket!! Can't say it enough, "I love my Prime Advanced!!"

8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LoL! Yep, I usually don't race from one light to the other, but this dope was all over the place and in a hurry so I showed him what I got! As for other Prius drivers, here in California, most drive fast. We have to prove ourselves worthy of driving on the road to other cars.

9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    That's good...I wish people would do that here ( I'm in Minnesota ).

HPrimeAdvanced and Montgomery like this.
  10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go Vikings! You know, I still laugh like hell when I recall the first game Brett Farve did as a Viking against Green Bay. It was hilarious to see him spank the Packers, as well as show all the doubters that he still had the "stuff".

11. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We did our part and provided Sam B and Adrian P. ;)

I've surprised a few unsuspecting idiots with power mode. The car is so light it doesn't waste any time getting up to speed if you need to. All in the name of safety, of course. :D

12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bad name? As long as they don't call us reVOLTing, dead LEAFs, or TESLA turkeys!!

13. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you forgot ironic ioniq's :)

14. NJPrime

NJPrime New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is especially hilarious if you put your Prime into Sport mode and take off with that extra bit of torque. My wife laughs at me every time some sporty ICE vehicle pulls up next to me at a stop light. She has now begun to ask: "Are you about to put the Prime into "Angry Bird mode," referring to the red color the screen displays when in sport mode.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prime has sport mode? cool!(y)

Montgomery and jaqueh like this.
  16. NJPrime

NJPrime New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is actually called Power Mode. You can cycle between Eco, Norma, and Power. Power gives you a noticeable burst off the line.

17. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Power mode doesn’t do anything much beyond remapping the gas pedal.

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It changes DRCC acceleration too

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source:
    Hyundai's Ioniq Hybrid Is Gunning For Prius Owners With Exclusive $1,000 Discount - CarsDirect

. . .
    Hyundai has been oddly careful of offering deep discounts on its all-new Ioniq Hybrid. The car has been on sale for 6 months and still features zero cashback incentives, a big contrast to the $3,000 in savings you'll find in the Prius family this month.

However, there's a bit of good news for those with a Prius sitting in their garage. This month, Hyundai is offering an unusual $1,000 conquest bonus,
    . . .

<AHEM!>
    Perhaps we've discussed the technology to death so only 'soft' bribery remains?

Bob Wilson

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fighting for a sliver of pie was always a frustration in a large family.

21. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The oldest of five boys, Mom would fry up a chicken including the neck, liver and gizzards:

So my brothers talked up "How wonderful chicken liver is but what a shame that the George (the youngest) always gets the best piece." Even today, George claims to like fried chicken liver (we suspect planning his revenge.)

So one day, my brothers and their significant others were going out and passed by a chitterling shack:

One of the girls asked,'"What are chitterlings?" Once again, my brothers began talking about "What a treat chitterlings are, the best part of the pig" to their significant others. So the next day, they went back to the shack.

Each brother enthusiastically ordered a plates for them and their SO. Quickly my brothers attacked the chitterlings. "Yum, yum, the best (and first) I've ever had!"

The first girl took a bite and projectile expressed a different opinion.

Oh, did I mention what a treat a Hyundai Ioniq is? One of the best.

Bob Wilson

#319 bwilson4web, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  22. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Somehow I sense the presence of a large volume of highly compressed tongue in someone's cheek, Har, har!!