1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime vs. Hyundai Ioniq

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by keithjam, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've literally gotten more complements on the looks of my Prime than on any car I've ever owned. And I used to own a classic car in show condition.

Prodigyplace and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From the test drive, it has a stepped transmission which mean the engine rows through the gears:

Personally, I prefer eCVT which behaves like the CVT in operation

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen5 will have those higher heat tolerant chips in the inverter, which should mean that only one coolant loop for it and the ICE will be needed. But the majority of the Prius' efficiency improvements have come from improving the engine. Maybe it will get Mazda's new HCCI, if we are lucky.

A parallel hybrid might be cheaper to make than a power-split one.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly, it looks interesting. i just don't know if toyota will need to 'up their game' in gen 5, or what that would entail due to ioniqe, vs their standard improvements.
    toyota's usual m/o to competition is just to drop their pants.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They're called "SiC" for "Silicon Carbide". Sometimes such devices are called "wide band gap" devices.

HPrimeAdvanced and Trollbait like this.
  6. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    over on the other side we have a number of ioniq plugins now in the UK but none who have swapped a prime for a plugin, we have a few gen 3 prius owners swapped for ioniq and the comments have been positive,

the interesting one will be in a year or so's time if we start to see any ioniq owners move to a prius at the end of contracts (it will happen) and see what comments they have, will Toyota have upped their game as there are more hybrids and EV's being brought to market, so in 2-3 years time it is going to get to be a very crowded market. all the manufacturers like Toyota will need to use the knowledge they have gained over the years to keep ahead of the new comers

I do wonder if the DCT vs eCVT competition will become the car equivalent of VHS vs Betamax fight

7. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It makes me feel like the Toyota Prius has a better reputation than the Ioniq, plus think about the Prius as a 4th gen iPhone, vs the Ioniq, the 1st gen iPhone - which one would you rather have?

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, I swapped a Gen-3 for a Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what would you say are the main advantages of ionic over prime? and what advantages does prime have?

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, but the article is comparing apple to orange. It is talking about Ioniq EV and Prime PHEV. Ioniq PHEV is suppose to come US this fall, but I haven't found good review yet. It is already out in UK, but US version spec are still unclear.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That isn't a fair comparison. Hyundai didn't limit themselves to the technology only available in the late '90s. If they had, a full parallel hybrid wouldn't be possible since it required further electronics advancements to get it ready for consumers.

Then this isn't Hyundai's first hybrid. There were two generations of Sonata hybrids before the Ioniq. At the least, the Iomiq has an improved gen2 system or a gen3 one.

NJ-PrimeAdvanced likes this.
  12. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Explain. The Prius is a parallel hybrid that utilizes a power-split device (a.k.a. the eCVT).

So, what can the Prius drivetrain (since it has two electric motors and an eCVT) do that the Iconiq (having one motor and a stepped transmission) can't?

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Being power-split, the Prius can operate in parallel mode, but it isn't a parallel hybrid. It can also operate in series mode, which the Ioniq can't. A power-split hybrid pays for this ability by having larger, more powerful motors. M/G1 needs to be powerful enough to supply M/G2 with energy for series operation, and M/G2 needs to be large enough to propel the car without the aid of selectable gears. This also means higher cost.

The HSG(this replaces the traditional starter and alternator) on the Ioniq is 10kW; about half the rating of the M/G1(Toyota is secretive about this rating). The 10kW is plenty of power to spin up the ICE for smooth starts and coupling to the drive train. The traction motor of the Ioniq is also smaller, lower power than M/G2. The gears of the transmission make up for this.

Now the Ioniq's transmission costs more than the Prius transaxle. It simply requires more materials to begin with, but it is a part used in serveral traditional ICE models. The scale of manufacturing means more savings for the traditional transmission.

So a parallel hybrid can end up adding less cost to a car by having lower cost for the electrical components than a power split hybrid. The savings might have gone into the larger battery for the Ioniq though.

In the end, they are still just ICE powered cars without a plug, and their great fuel economy would not be possible without those 40% thermally efficient engines.

14. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Great video review of the ioniq plug in. Really makes you wonder how Toyota failed so greatly on packaging with the Prime.

Still hate the way the ioniq looks and really dislike the conventional dashboard layout.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hybrid vehicle drivetrain - Wikipedia

Power-split hybrid or series-parallel hybrid are parallel hybrids that incorporate power-split devices, allowing for power paths from the ICE to the wheels that can be either mechanical or electrical. The main principle is to decouple the power supplied by the primary source from the power demanded by the driver.

16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Duplicate post

#174 MikeDee, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's two factors: 1) tgna prevented them from sticking with a solid rear axle, which would have left more space for the battery.
    2) empty space under the rear console which gets a battery in japan for the solar roof. it's just a combination of toyota cost cutting and looking after their market before overseas.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I didn’t know that about the solar battery spot. The ioniq has independent rear suspension as well.

bisco likes this.
  19. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Accidental duplicate post. Here is a video showing the solar battery location and how the traction battery placement still seems very much an afterthought.

#176 jaqueh, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but they had a clean slate to build all 3 versions. toyota took the gen 4, and stuffed a battery into it.
    plugs are still not a priority for them.

jaqueh and NJ-PrimeAdvanced like this.
  21. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think the next-gen Prius Prime will be SPECTACULAR!!!! 2019 or 2020?

22. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2022. i hope so, that's what i was hoping for this gen. and it is, except for the compromises.

then again, it's going to be a whole new ball game of competition by then.

23. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Some immediate improvements I'm hoping for in the new gen of the Prime - let's hope it's not 2022 as I will have lost interest by then:
    - solar roof option /or/ sun-roof as an option
    - 5th seat (there is space for it!!)
    - more trunk space - the current trunk on the Prime feels "crippled"
    - adds back proper LKAS
    - Android Auto/Apple Car Play
    - brings back the back-window wiper - it's the little things ;-)
    ... and of course increase the EV range from 25 miles to say 50 miles - or more ;-)

I hope at that point, the Ioniq will be beaten in every way... but yes, competition ain't standing still - Tesla Model 3 will be a force to be reckoned with ;-)

bisco likes this.