1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Primer for use with Duplicolor paint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Galane, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Galane

Galane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This weekend I painted the spoiler on my Barcelona Red 2009. I used Rustoleum 2081 Light Grey sandable primer under the DupliColor BTY1618 paint.

Before doing anything on the car, I did some tests with a darker primer I had on hand and the paint was way too dark. I also tried some flat white paint and the red over it was REALLY BRIGHT.

I used Glad handle tie trash bags with the side edges cut off to spread them out, masking tape and a couple of pieces of newspaper for masking. Sanded and primed the spoiler Saturday, and got it wet sanded. Didn't get enough primer in the middle so I had to re spray that part on Sunday then sanded again. It was a hot day so it dried fast.

The hot weather worked against me applying the paint, despite being in the shade under a big tent. the paint was drying too fast so I had to wet sand and get it dry. Then I got closer to do what you're not supposed to do with spray paint, fast and heavy application. That got it on smooth-ish with minimal amounts of balling up. The back edge came out great but the top surface needed a little sanding. The DupliColor nozzles apparently work best on a surface that can be sprayed at 90 degrees to them so paint fog won't blow across the surface.

With that done and wiped down clean, I waited 30 minutes then applied a good coat of DupliColor clear, which was also wanting to go on a bit rough. So I waited the recommended 10 minutes and sprayed on several passes more, good and thick. The back edge looks perfect, the top is a bit orange peel, but in a week or so it should be completely hard and I'll be able to wet sand it then buff it out.

The color match looks perfect. Not sure if I want to tackle the rock pocked hood. do not know how it's just the hood with all the chips while the fenders and bumper cover are fine.

Would have been an easier job if I'd taken the spoiler off, but I didn't want to have to yank the inside off the hatch again after doing it to replace the hatch button cover.

SFO likes this.