1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Primer on Remote Start Systems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priuschatter2, Feb 4, 2014.

1. priuschatter2

priuschatter2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I couldn't find a good introduction to remote start systems, so I've written one. Corrections and suggestions welcome.

Remote start allows you to start your car by remote control. Traditionally this was done just with a remote start system, which consists of a transmitter (fob), receiver and "brain" wired into your car.

For cars with anti-theft systems, a second device called an immobilizer bypass module was also necessary. As all cars now come standard with an anti-theft system, all cars will require a bypass module. Bypass modules are generally under $100. Traditionally the wiring was complex and best left to professionals. However, some new bypass modules are relatively easy to install, though the warranty might still require professional installation.

Traditionally, a spare key had to be left in the bypass module. These were called universal bypass modules. But some modules could be programmed for the particular vehicle and not require a key. Today, many bypass modules are pre-configured for all their compatible vehicles - no programming needed. These are also sometimes called universal, though they don't require a spare key. If you do need to update the programming, it can be done with a $25 device plugged into your computer, or your seller might flash it for you.

Remote start systems range from $50-$400+. The simplest systems will only remote start, requiring you to also carry a your vehicle's fob to unlock the doors. More sophisticated systems can replicate all the functions of your vehicle's fob, and even add new features and smartphone control (the latter may require a subscription). Two-way fobs confirm that the engine was successfully started, while one-way fobs do not. However, you will be able to see the lights on the vehicle flash when the engine starts.

Some remote start systems are combined with a bypass module in an all-in-one kit. They are generally easier to install, though not necessarily cheaper.

For newer vehicles, the bypass module may be able to use your vehicle's fob to start the engine, in which case you don't need a separate remote start system. You will, however, be limited to the features and range of your vehicle's fob. Such bypass modules are called "standalone". Standalone bypass modules will work on G3 Priuses, but not earlier models.

The bypass module must be compatible with the particular vehicle. The main makers of bypass modules are XpressKit (e.g., DBALL2), Fortin (e.g., EVO-ALL), and idatalink (e.g., ADS Solo). You can enter your vehicle on their website to confirm compatibility. XpressKit seems to be easiest to install, but also has the most problems.

The main remote starters are made by Audiovox, Viper, Python, Avital, Clifford and Autostart. They need to be compatible with the bypass module, but not (I believe) the vehicle. Indeed, Viper, Python, Avital, Clifford, Autostart, Automate, Astrostart, as well as XpressKit, are all owned by the same company - DEI, so they are probably all compatible.

Combination bypass-remote starter systems are sold by several remote starter companies, all based on XpressKit's Xpress Start One 4X10.

Toyota does not offer a remote start option in the US.

#1 priuschatter2, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    kc5dlo likes this.
  2. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'll add some more. 90% of all alarm companies are owned by DEI - they make the best products in turns of quality/reliability.
    Fortin bypass modules (and even crimestopper) are compatible with DEI alarms, they just must be programmed to speak the proper language (D2D).

Some Toyota's Fortin offers a smart-key take over bypass module (you can remote start the car, open a door, hit the start button and go with out the remote start turning off). Most of the Xpresskit modules allow the car to die when you open a door after remote starting.

You need to program the alarm to use no tach signal checking when installing in a hybrid, otherwise it will assume that the car did not start and keep trying.

I own a DEI Alarm programmer that allows customization you can't do with the chirp counting (custom run times, icons on the LCD remotes etc) as well as the programmer that allows programming of Crimestopper and Fortin bypass modules if anyone ever needs any help/work done - I'm in the Northern Kentucky area and would be happy to help!

I did a 2-way Viper system on my wife's Venza and my 2013 Prius C this winter. I've had remote starts on every car I've ever owned (including my 89 buick century!) I was in my younger days a MECP certified installer, and later worked for a very large OEM/Aftermarket car audio/security company. I'll help where I can!

Chris

kc5dlo, CatsAreGods and ftl like this.
  3. enot6g

enot6g New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which remote starter would you recommend for a 2005 Prius? Are you aware of issues, such as, climate controls not being remembered when using a remote start. It would be terrible if it didn't remember the defrost/heater settings in the winter or the air conditioning settings during the summer.

WNY-HYBRID likes this.
  4. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 for a recommendation for a remote start for the 04-09. Been wanting one but nobody will touch it around here

5. priuschatter2

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no first-hand experience. However, here are Prius-compatible devices:

Bypass modules (some must be flashed first, but even for the pre-loaded ones they recommend you update the firmware. Ask your seller to do this for you):
    -XpressKit (DEI) (easier installation, but less reliable): DBALL (use THNISS3 harness), DBALL2 (use THNISS3C harness), DBALL2PRO, PKALL
    -Fortin: EVO-ALL (harder to install), EVO-RIDE, KEY-OVERRIDE-ALL (? easier to install)
    -Audiovox/Prestige (VOXX): flashlogic FLCAN (easier to install), flashlogic FLTB1
    -Autopage/idatalink (good reviews; harder to install; some of these might require smartkey; All of these will have the same features on the Prius; no warranty for end-user installation): ADS-TB*, ADS-TBSL TI, ADS-TBSL KO/TB-TL/TB-KO, ADSALCA

Starters (not necessary for G3; confirm with manufacturer that its compatible with your bypass module):
    Pursuit / Prestige (VOXX) - PRO9051N
    Autostart (DEI) AS-1271U (US)
    Autostart (DEI) AS-1774SRU(US)
    Viper (DEI) Basic 1-Way Remote Start System 4105V
    Python (DEI) 4111p
    Python (DEI) 4103p
    Audiovox/Prestige (VOXX) APS901C
    Audiovox/Prestige (VOXX) APS57C
    Avital (DEI) 4113LX
    Avital (DEI) 4103LX
    Bulldog - bad reviews
    Other DEI brands: Clifford, AstroStart, AutoMate,
    Other VOXX brands: Jensen, Advent, Code Alarm, Car Link

Combination Bypass/Starter:
    Viper (DEI) VSS3001- 800.TL1 v3.19.285d - requires subscription and smart phone
    Viper (DEI) 4110V- 800.TL1 v3.19.285d
    Python (DEI) 4110P

Here are a couple threads on installing remote starters:
    bypass module of choice installers
    Aftermarket Remote Start w/OEM fob - Video inside. | PriusChat

6. enot6g

enot6g New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome! Thanks for the response. Once I pick one, have it installed and use it I will post my feedback. Thanks again.

7. prizzy

prizzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Priuschatter2, do you have any experience installing dball2? Do I still have to tap any wire if I use T Harness?

8. priuschatter2

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no experience.

9. Myself248

Myself248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some more newbie questions (i.e. these are probably considered obvious to folks familiar with remote-start so they're never mentioned in the threads):

1: Can the remote-start override the HVAC settings I had set when I left the vehicle, and do something like "always run the defrost if it's under 40F when remote-start is activated"? I am incapable of remembering to do things like that, so this is a make-or-break feature for me.

2: Does the presence of an immobilizer bypass module make it easier for thieves to, umm, mobilize the vehicle? Obviously I wouldn't *use* the remote-start unless I could see the car right out my kitchen window, but I'm not gonna deinstall the module when I go to a show downtown. Are the OEM versus aftermarket systems different in this regard?

3: For modules with pit-stop mode (the ability to keep the system on / HVAC running while you step out and dash into a 7-11), can the doors be locked/unlocked with the fob while in this mode, or must you use the hard-key in the lock cylinder? How does that work in general? If I don't use remote-start to start the car, but start it normally and set out running errands, and decide I want pit-stop later, can I do that without rebooting the car? Can the car be remotely shut-down during pitstop mode if I decide to stay in the store a while, for instance?

4: Can remote-start be used to implement a "run the engine/systems but be incapable of shifting into Drive" mode? I think it's already precisely this. Goal would be to be able to use the car (with the bigass inverter I installed) as a stationary generator for power outages at home, without worrying about someone driving off with the car. I'm pretty sure remote-start is the right way to solve this but I'm hoping someone with experience can chime in.

Thanks in advance for the info!

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are talking about gen2? If you have keyless entry system you can get Prius into "run the engine/systems but be incapable of shifting into Drive" by just starting it without putting key in the slot and then leaving with key. You can then lock doors with mechanical key.

11. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Answers are in line below....

12. 1kzte

1kzte Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi prius chatter 2
    a very goood collection of information

really going to help a diy person

my car is australian model 2007
    smart entry-jbl-navigation-reverse camera-in dsh 6 cd changer

i am not sure what trim code does it compare with amerikan model line up

am looking to install remote starter to my car
    i have i-data link ads ko bypasss module in hand
    am looking for a compatible remote starter that will work with the bypass module
    alternately do u want to recommend me a full set up that can be added to my car
    i also have a magicar smart entry remote starter lying around
    the model is m1090
    can that be used with ads-ko module

if i get the required details it would save my time in trial n errors

thanks in advance