1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime's Engine Warmup Cycle: Gas Usage?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Oct 23, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    During the Prime's warmup cycle (once your EV range runs out) how does the non-EV engine warm up? Using gas? Or some kind of non-gas heater? Because if ANY gas at all is used during the warmup cycle, the MPG meter is completely inaccurate.

This has been bugging me for a while, but once the Prime runs out of EV range (0.0) and it begins its gasoline warmup cycle, the pedal immediately feels different, and one noticeably feels the gas(?) coming on. The MPG/Kw/H meter (if set to kw/h during EV mode) immediately changes to show gas MPG -- but for the first 30 or so seconds during the warmup cycle (during which both the gas is supposedly(?) on, as well as drawing from the car's buffer-EV range while warming up), the MPG meter is always completely all the way at the top (199+MPG) even if you're going 65mph at the time -- as if there was NO gasoline being used at all.

In other words, the MPG display is showing what it would show if the car went to temporary all-EV mode for a bit, using NO gas at all. But this can't be accurate, for isn't gas being used during the warmup cycle as well as the buffer EV? Or is the engine warmed up some other way without gas?

If ANY gas is being used (even a little) then the the MPG meter should waver, and won't be rock-solidly all the way at the very top (100+MPG). Yet for those first 30 seconds, it's all the way to the top and doesn't waver at all, no matter what. AFTER the warmup cycle (30-40 seconds), indeed the MPG meter then drops to whatever MPG I'm actually getting at the time -- but for the warmup cycle itself, the MPG meter is indicating no gas being used.

If the Prime's warmup cycle uses no gas at all, then please explain how the warmup cycle warms the engine up after EV range is depleted... I'd be curious to know. (For what it's worth, one feels the difference on the gas pedal as soon as the EV range runs out -- not 30-40 seconds later, at the point when the MPG meter finally drops from showing 100+MPG to an accurate display).

PS: whenever I see the car switching from EV to HV, I like to immediately reset my "TRIP" meter so I can see my gas MPG for the gas part of my trips (if I have, say, 10 miles left that I have to do on gas). But having it be at 199.9 for the first 30 seconds while the car is warming up (but still using gas?) throws off the accuracy of that number more than you might think...

#1 stevepea, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Non-EV = ICE = internal combustion engine. It burns gasoline and that process generates heat and warms up the engine.

I'm pretty sure I can't address the rest of your question to your satisfaction.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just because it's pegged at 199 mpg doesn't mean you're not using any gas at all. The PiP briefly pegs the meter during ICE warmup, too. It has to use gas to warm up the engine, but it uses a lot of battery assist during warm up to minimize emissions. If I switch to HV on my PiP with EV range remaining, the car will borrow energy from the battery and my EV range will drop by about 1 mile. Once the engine warms up, it puts the range back in the battery. MPG takes a real hit wile that happens. Prime does something similar, but I'm sure they've made it even more efficient than the PiP.

4. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the mpg meter is an average of the last x seconds or miles then it will be 199 mpg as the previous period of time was on EV. It will take time to bring the average down even if that average is just the last 30 seconds.

iPhone ?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you would need a scan gauge or the like for that info. unfortunately, toyota's gauges are for idiot's.
    there's thread about this in the pip section. someone measured two legs of gas during warm up, iirc. of course, ambient temp affects warm up time, but prime uses even less, i'm sure.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Recommended test procedure:
    1. Configure a video recorder to monitor the trip meter MPG and distance.
    2. Set cruise control speed to 65+ mph
    3. When 1 mile EV range remaining, start video recording
    4. Run for 10 miles
    5. Save recording
    When you get home, open a spreadsheet and load video into an editor with time stamps. Transcribe each second, 600 entries, into the spreadsheet. Alternative, every 10 seconds, 60 entries. Calculate the fuel burned over the duration. Then calculate the fuel burned per second. Problem solved.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. This is normal. The following time that you get to play around with EV/HV button, it also remaps how much acceleration you get for pushing on the pedal. Going to 0.0 range has the equivalent remapping as switching from EV Mode to HV Mode.

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it's the same as the PiP, the first 30 seconds or so borrows heavily from the battery while the engine is warming up. You can see this condition more accutely at >65 mph. The battery runs out so rapidly, that it isn't able to sustain speed. As soon as battery drops below 3 bars, the engine surges on loudly and mpg drops. At low speeds, this doesn't happen and the mpg maxes out during warm up.

So the answer to your question is yes, gas is used but it's very minimal.

9. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe gas is being used as soon as the ICE starts running. However, on battery alone the gas mileage is at infinity, and it takes some time to bring that down to 199.9 mpg which is the highest mpg recorded by the Prime. During warmup, the ICE uses very little gas and is very efficient, and the Prime draws heavily on the battery. It is hard to know when to reset your TRIP meter, as one doesn’t know whether the car will regenerate the battery used during warmup, using gas, or whether the car starts the warmup a little before the battery gets down to the EV level that it maintains. Also, at the end of your EV trip, is the state of battery charge equal to that when you reset the TRIP meter? The Prime as it goes along in EV continuously draws on the battery and then recharges it. This can lead to erroneous mpg readings, especially for short trips.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point. depending on conditions, the warm up process adds ev miles.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    199.9 MPG is the maximum the vehicle will display, and that's exactly what mine shows now.

347.6 MPG is what the Entune app reports for an actual calculation, which is correct since I did use the engine for a little bit.

Think of it like a speedometer. Faster won't be shown when the gauge is only setup to display a specific range. So, even though it only goes up to 200 MPG, you know efficiency is really higher than that.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when the engine is warming up, you're getting 0 mpg.

13. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah...if you are stationary, but if you are moving you are getting more than 0 MPG

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless it's all electric.

15. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ahh...I get it...lol

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  16. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I very much appreciate everyone's responses... but can I ask those who actually own the 2017 Prime, to have a look at this situation themselves, and report on how it works in their Prime? (Bob: since you have a Prime, try having a look sometime, and post what you see) :)

Please note, everyone:

- I do a TRIP RESET as I start out from home for the day in EV Mode (with the real-time monitor showing kw/h, and constantly varying, of course).
    - As SOON as the car runs out of EV range some 30ish miles later (and I watch it tick down... 0.2, 0.1, all gone!) I then immediately do a TRIP RESET again (because I want to see what my MPG on gas is for the rest of the trip, from the moment the ICE kicks on).
    - As soon as the car's EV range hits "0.0/---" (the point at which I do the TRIP RESET again), the gas pedal suddenly feels sluggish, I can "feel" the gas coming on, and the real-time monitor (that was showing kw/h), immediately switches on its own to MPG.
    - However, instead of that monitor showing that at least some gas is being used to warm up the ICE, it instead shoots all the way to the very top (100+MPG) -- and stays there, rock-solid, for about 30 seconds as the car is warming up (as if it was in 100% temporary EV mode, showing NO gas being used at all) -- even as the ICE is using gas for the warmup cycle.
    - Immediately after doing that TRIP RESET the moment the warmup cycle starts and I begin to feel the gas usage, the MPG number display will also jump from 0.0 (at the reset) directly to 199.9 (the highest number it will show).
    - Only after the warmup process is finished (30+ seconds later), will the real-time MPG meter suddenly drop down to realistic numbers and fluctuate, while the MPG number display will only then slowly start to tick down as well.

But during the entire warmup process as gas is being used, the Prime cheats, and doesn't count any of the gas used to warm up the ICE during the warmup cycle. The MPG number display thus cheats as well, as it includes the distance driven during the warmup cycle when the car indeed did use gas to warm up the ICE -- but didn't report to itself that it used any gas during the warmup cycle.

Just to be clear for those who don't have the Prime: during the Prime's warmup cycle, the car is showing NO gas being used -- it's not just that it's only using a "tiny amount". In normal HV driving, even if I put just a (barely, barely, barely!) featherweight amount of pressure on the gas pedal, the MPG meter may stay in the upper region, but it won't be unmovable/solid at the top -- it'll constantly fluctuate in the upper regions. However during the ICE warmup, the meter is 100% at the very top, not deviating at all, showing absolutely NO gas being used (as gas is indeed being used to warm up the ICE).

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I know, but it's something to be aware of. Regardless of how the gasoline is used (whether it's used to move the car or warm up the ICE), if gas is being used in any fashion, the car should show that, when showing you its MPG. Instead, the Prime inaccurately shows NO gas being used AT ALL until the warmup cycle has completed.

#16 stevepea, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow! You desperately need to get an aftermarket gauge before we all pounce on you for spreading misinformation based upon assumptions. You are totally unaware of what actually happens during engine warm-up.

Watch this video I filmed with my Prius PHV, paying close attention to engine RPM while the coolant is still cool:

Notice how the RPM is held at the 1500 level? The system is using a super-boost of electricity to minimize burden on the engine, despite the demand merging onto the highway. What MPG do you think it registers with such a high draw from the battery?

jerrymildred and mmmodem like this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mentioned this happening at 65 mpg. From my calculations, at this speed, any fuel consumption rate of less that 0.33 gal/hour should peg the MPG meter at 199.9, and be indistinguishable from 0.00 gal/hour consumption.

My Gen3 idles at just 0.20 gal/hour during the later stages of warmup, so would produce your 199.9 MPG reading. Though it does start at a higher burn rate, depending on outside temperature, then declines rapidly, so it might not show 199.9 as the first non-zero MPG if reading accurately.

Do you have a ScanGauge-II, or Torque, or any of the other OBDII-port engine monitors? If so, it would be very useful to watch the gallons per hour display during this ICE warmup cycle to help drill down on what is really happening.

19. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, honest, but it doesn't seem to correspond to what I see and feel. First, the better measure is the real-time MPG bar-graph (because the MPG numerical display only updates in intervals, not in real time as the MPG bar graph does).

If the car is only using 0.33gal/hr during the warmup cycle as you say, then the car would never be able to sustain 65MPH using only 0.33gal/hr after the warmup cycle is done (and the temporary EV help from the buffer range shuts off), which implies that at the point the warmup cycle is finished (when the temporary EV help from the buffer switches off), it immediately starts drawing a lot more gas to keep the same speed. Ok, that makes sense, and you could be right, except it doesn't feel that way, either physically or visually. In normal (warmed-up HV) driving, putting even the slightest bit of pressure with my foot sends the MPG graph down from a solid "100+" at the top, to wavering around near 100MPG -- but during the warmup I see only 100% absolute solid at the top, never wavering. When the warmup cycle first starts (and gas first starts being used) there's quite a physical change in speed and additional pedal pressure needed to keep the same speed -- it's quite obvious and noticeable... and the change in additional pedal pressure needed to keep the same speed as the gas comes on doesn't seem like it would be there if it was still almost all EV (the mode you're coming out of), and only a tiny 0.33gal/hr of gas being used. Then as the warmup cycle ends (at which point, if I understand what you're saying, you think a lot more gas supposedly immediately starts being used) there's no feel at all of that extra gas being used.

I could be wrong, but it certainly feels as if the big change is when the warmup cycle starts and the gauges just aren't reflecting it. If I'm wrong, then it's a great illusion with the car (the lurch, and additional pedal pressure suddenly needed to keep the same speed the moment the warmup cycle starts, but no noticeable change at the end).

#19 stevepea, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Beyond the range of a gauge, there is a long way to go before you get to infinite. In other words, 199 < ∞.

People with Primes have answered clearly. If the car is getting (for example) 300 mpg, what should a gauge read that maxes out at 199? If you don't believe them, get a scan gauge and check for yourself.

mmmodem likes this.