1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime's Engine Warmup Cycle: Gas Usage?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Oct 23, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi @john1701a,

Could you clarify something:
    Your signature "9,500 miles" matches what I'm seeing on the odometer. But I have a Prius Prime and Entune without a cell data link is not terribly useful. Could you give a reference or example of how to access the "Entune" app that shows the "347.6 MPG"?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice recording - how do you get the video with all the vehicle parameters?

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the moment, your reported observations fall in an ambiguous zone.

If you still observe this at speeds well below 40 mph, where 199.9 mpg corresponds to burn rates well below 0.20 gal/hour, then I'll give your suspicions considerably more weight. So watch what happens in other circumstances, and report back how slow you can be moving during this warmup and still see a reported 199.9 mpg.

For those of us with aftermarket monitors that include a Gallons/Hour readout, that figure is a more golden standard about what is really happening. If you or anyone else could report back simultaneous ScanGauge gal/hr and Prime MPG readings, that would likely settle the issue, one way or another.

5. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, I drive it a bit differently, and switch to HV immediately after backing out of my driveway, saving EV for later (slower part of the drive)

When I switch to HV, ICE comes on and it's definitelty burning gas, and at a higher rpm than normal idle (I feel more engine vibration). I always stay in MPG display mode, but the display doesn't get updated right away as there seems to be a time interval for each update of the display. (it's not real time, it's discrete calculated intervals..) If I'm stopped at a light, the engine continues to run until the warmup cycle is done. EV range does go down down during this warmup routine, but only about .8 miles and it never gets it back. Surprisingly, I get better gas mileage overall if some of that warming cycle is stopped at a light. When I do eventually run out of EV on my drive home, I really don't notice much as I'm always moving and the mpg gauge starts going down very shortly after it switches to HV.

6. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Will do. Up to now, all of my EV-range-runnng-out has been while on the freeway (so speeds 62-68mph) but one of these time I'll see if I can get it to run out while going slower, such as in a residential tract...

jerrymildred and fuzzy1 like this.