1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prince Charles reduces carbon footprint

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hb06, Jan 20, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Prince Charles' Clarence House office said the prince had decided last year to cancel a regular skiing holiday to Switzerland as part of an effort to reduce the number of flights he takes."

"Details of the prince's carbon footprint are scheduled to be published along with his annual office accounts later this year. The document will set out targets for the reduction of carbon emissions by his office and household."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_en_...rince_charles_2

2. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Jan 20 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]378232[/snapback]</div>
    "The couple will ride a private train that uses an electric locomotive from Philadelphia to New York, where the prince is to collect a Global Environmental Citizen Award from the Center for Health and Global Environment at Harvard Medical School."

One of today's London papers says that to get to NY to receive the award he will travel by a scheduled flight but that he has booked the whole aircraft for this and will have TWENTY of his staff accompanying him.

Perhaps the best thing he could do to reduce global warning is to remain in his large house in Gloucester and tend his large garden but you might be able to think of some other course of action (or non-action) he could take. Any suggestions?

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He could accept it by teleconference with an interenet hookup. Then it could be sent to him by regular mail.

I think he tries harder and succeeds more than any other high profile politician. And perhaps that is the point. Yes, he's bought out the entire plane for just himself and his entourage of 20. It is a regularly scheduled flight so it's not adding anything. It might inconvenience a few people. I think the train is great. I hope he either takes public transportation from the station to the venue or he's picked up in something alternative; a hybrid, EV, natural gas, something.

The only other high profile personality that does more is probably Ed Begly Jr. But he doesn't have the constraints the Prince does.

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 20 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]378464[/snapback]</div>
    He is not a politician in the sense of being an elected representative. He is a member of an unelected family who are descendants of long dead leaders, who were probably tyrannical. He has inherited a vast amount of property and wealth.
    However we can say in his favour that after what was probably a highly disciplined and restricted childhood he seems to be conscientious in playing the role he thinks is expected of him. As you say, he tries...Most people would not choose to be in his position.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 21 2007, 05:10 AM) [snapback]378610[/snapback]</div>
    No, he is not elected. But he functions as a politician in the media. He makes the papers and people watch what he does. What he does does have influence. He has the same amount of media scrutiny and influence as rock stars, actors and sports figures. And except, maybe for Ed Begley Jr. he's more green than anyone that is in the spotlight. And I don't think Ed Begley Jr can make the papers around the world...but the Prince can.

6. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 21 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]378738[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't know that. I wonder why "Royalty" appeals so much?

But I must be ignorant as I've never heard of the said Ed Begley. Does he (or is it Edwina?) do anything useful?

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 22 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]379003[/snapback]</div>
    He's an actor, famous for living green. He had an EV and figures prominently in Who Killed the Electric car. There's a reality show about him and his wife, who is not so environmentalyl conscious, on TV now called Living with Ed or Life with Ed. It's on cable.

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice gesture on the Prince's part but probably insignificant when you consider the total carbon footprint for the royal family. I hope his gesture is part of a larger commitment to environmentalism and not a public relations gimmick. I wonder at the banality of celebrity worship in our culture and what it says about what's missing from the lives of ordinary people that leads them to oogle movie stars, athletes and corporate honchos.
    Bob