1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prisoner problems / riddles

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriQ, Apr 14, 2012.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fascinating. If I read you correctly you were talking about the bald guy being the genius. No, he was the foil. To me the genius is the guy on the right who persuaded the bald guy he was committed to Steal. The act of persuasion was brilliant, and irresistable. It worked. He never intended to play Steal; he just needed to make sure the bald guy would play Split.

2. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I'm referring to the guy with the initiative to steal. He is the genious because he makes the game play in his favor. The other guy was actually quite slow in his realisation.

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    More fascinating. In both clips both contestants look at BOTH balls.

Why? What do they imagine the 2nd ball could say that they need to check it?

Funny.

Her demeanor in clip 2 screamed "Steal"; him I couldn't predict.

Hard to say if that format would work in the US. The loser would pull a gun and shoot the victor, or the host, or both, which would keep the show highly rated but lose its ability to attract players.

1 person likes this.
  4. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately my experience tells me I can't read women quite well enough yet.
    Normally the game favors the person who steals (See it this way: If the other guy steals, then you lose either way)

The man in the first clip turned the stakes, so to say.

The second clip... I don't like this world.

Edit: This facial expression near the end of the discussion should have made you see through her intents, but I didn't see it the first time through, and being under stress like him would make it even harder:

[​IMG]

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    When I read the puzzle, the problem was knowing that there was no prisoner communication, but for there to be a solution, there had to be information transfer. Hmmm?

The best I could come up with was:
    1) The prisoners went to the first room single file and cycled through till the name matched.
    2) After your inspection you went to the back of the line, unless of course you were the lucky prisoner and got to exit, or one of the lucky ones behind the prisoner that matched.
    3) The cycling line of prisoners shifted to the next room. The prisoners kept cycling till the next match.
    4) Continue the process till either all names matched or 50 chances had been reached for the remaining queue.

It would take some time to work out the probability of this working, but to a first order, a match occurs when only half the line has gone through, so 50% is in the right ball park.