1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 04 won't turn on, OBDII scanner gets link error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PepoGimez, Mar 14, 2017.

1. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Prius has been working pretty decently give or take a few weird hiccups lately. I'll detail the current issue and other things that could help below. Thank you for taking the time to read this, this is currently my families only working vehicle, so it's important that we get it running, but we don't have the money currently to get more tow trucks and expensive fixes at the dealer (if at all possible).

Yesterday, my father was driving my car on the freeway, and according to him, the car made weird sounds, and just turned off. He managed to safely pull over to the side of the road.

He said there was beeping, the brake lights were flashing, and there was a smell that he described as burning rubber. The tow truck driver tried to jump start my car, but apparently he plugged in his trucks battery to my Prius's hybrid battery somehow. It obviously did nothing, I hope it didn't cause any damages to it.

After the tow truck brought it back, I had a friend of ours that knows a bit about cars (nothing about hybrids). He tested the battery in the back and he said it's still good. He did note that the battery was surrounded by liquid oddly enough, which seemed like water. But it hasn't rained in AZ for quite a while. All the fluids are fine, besides the motor oil needing a change soon. The car was topped off with gas the day prior to this issue, and the hybrid battery tested fine not too long ago.

My car has about 200k miles, but the hybrid battery and actuator should only have 70k as they were replaced (from a 20k prius that got hit on the side) at 150k miles.

My friend took me to walmart to buy this scanner:

Autel AutoLink AL319 OBDII & CAN Code Reader - Walmart.com

However, the scanner keeps saying "Link error". I guess that's since the car won't turn on.

When I try to turn on the car, The dash lights flash, and then turn off immediately, followed by a few squares on the screen.

Link to video I took today showing this:

When I tried reseting the computer by holding down the ODO + MPH button, and then pressing the start button. This did nothing, although the touch screen worked for the while. Now resetting gets no reaction from the car.

The only other notable repair I did was change the combination meter with a refurb one when it stopped displaying anything about 6 months ago. This one works just fine, but it occasionally turns off every few months. Although, it doesn't not effect the motor.

Thank you for taking the time to read, hopefully someone has some clue as to what could be causing this issue.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if the burning smell in the cabin was from an overheated hybrid battery. It may be a low mileage replacement, but if it's from a Gen 2 Prius it still has some age on it.

I would check all fuses and fusible links, both under the hood and under the dash, with a continuity tester. A blown fuse might be preventing the code reader from connecting. And you may need a Prius-specific scanner to get very far. Most hybrid codes may not show on the one you bought.

It is not possible to connect a jumper cable to the hybrid battery. Let's hope the sparks weren't from a reverse polarity jump attempt. All the more reason to check the fuses and fusible links.

The liquid in the trunk is most probably water. I remember rain in Phoenix less than two weeks ago, and it may be slow to evaporate unless you've parked in the hot sun the last couple of days with a window open. A leaking back door seal is pretty common.

3. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you for the response.

The rubber smell happened before, not after the tow truck appeared, so I don't think it would be the battery. The hybrid battery also is from a newer Gen 2, like 2008 I think.

I don't know what a continuity tester is, but I'll check if my local walmart has one tomorrow morning as I have no way of getting there tonight. But then I'll go ahead and check the fuses, since I haven't done that yet.

I don't remember him mentioning any sparks, nor did I see any today. I don't know where the tow truck driver connected his battery to my hybrid, but there's no light indicating any problems. The scanner does check CAN codes.

Oh ok, that might definitely be the water then.

I'll get on those fuses though.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can use any cheap multimeter to check continuity. Use the "Ohms" function, and you should read zero ohms across a good fuse, no reading on a blown fuse. Harbor Freight Tools often has them for free, or about $5 normally.

When you said the tow truck driver thought he'd hooked up to the hybrid battery, I just assumed there were sparks involved! I wonder why he would think that otherwise.

2008 batteries still have nine years of age on them. Ten years is a good rated life for many chemical batteries, especially those stored in a car in the AZ heat. I'm not saying the battery is bad, just something to keep in mind. It's possible the burning smell while driving could have been a faulty battery module.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Open the hood...take off the black plastic fuse cover on the right...open little red plastic cap over positive jump point...flips up from left to right revealing metal vertical tab thats where you attach the positive jump lead if jumping your car...get a DC volt meter and measure from that point to ground. You are measuring how the 12 volt battery level is coming into the primary fuse box.

If you have anything above 12 volts then turn on the headlights and see if they are on. If headlights dead the bad jumpstart destroyed many fuses primarily the one in that same black fuse box under the clear plastic cover trimmed in white. That's the 100 amp hardwired in fuse.

Hard to replace. If that fuse is bad you probably damaged the Inverter too.

valde3 and andrewclaus like this.
  6. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh ok, yeah I have a cheap one from HF. I'll go ahead and use that. Walmart doesn't carry those meters in store in seems.

Yeah, I don't know what he did honestly. My father said he hooked his battery up to a positive pin on the hybrid, and hooked the negative lead to my cars frame. Hopefully it didn't mess up the hybrid battery.

Yeah, it's possible. I get it checked every few months, and they keep saying it's in perfect condition. So i'd be surprised if it suddenly went bad out of nowhere. But hopefully it's not it.

7. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My buddy tested the battery from the front, and from the actual battery in the back (the start battery, not the hybrid). He got 12.3 volts or so, which is what it's always been.

8. JoeDoe

JoeDoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did this ever get resolved? If so what was the solution. I am having the same exact issue you described. Please advise. Thank you.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although not mentioned in the thread, this was obviously a failed inverter cooling water pump that blew the AM2 fuse in the underhood fuse box. Very distinct symptoms and relatively common in the 2004-2009. Been involved in a few of them. Not sure if the Gen 2 correlates to a Gen 3 though.

On a Gen 2, the pump is directly behind the driver side headlight. It sometimes shorts electrically and melts some rubber on the bottom of the pump housing, which produces the bad smell. It can be disconnected at the actual pump, or by disconnecting the single wire plug located directly above and to the left of the fusebox cover. Then you can replace the fuse and drive the car. Just keep it relatively slow so the inverter doesn't get too hot. Get pump replaced asap.

#9 TMR-JWAP, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021