1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 08 makes noise when brake pedal is pushed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Priuslover123, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Priuslover123

Priuslover123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi how to fix it?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very odd.

Be aware the G2 suffers from the abs module failure which is very expensive and makes a barking sound. If it fails your brakes should be really bad stiff pedal and poor braking and lots of codes on the dash.

I have not suffered this yet so please use the search forum tab up top and search

abs module

and see if that's what you have going one. Very expensive repair.

Priuslover123 likes this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No fault lights on? Read the codes with Toyota hybrid capable scanner. But yes bad ABS module is a possible cause.

Priuslover123 likes this.
  4. Priuslover123

Priuslover123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have changed a bearing recently and put abs sensor loosen. After that abs lights began coming every bump on roads. Since I tighten it up lights never came back, so no lights. Also needed to drain caliper cause it stuck. I nocked piston back with a hummer and installed it back.

#4 Priuslover123, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't really understand what you did. Reading the codes might still give you some information. Also if anything that you did could cause there to be air in the system bleeding it with a computer might be needed.

6. Moses Bruh

Moses Bruh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    just wondering, wouldn't the pedal be more spongey/soft if the brake was going bad (loosing pressure)? i have the occasional brake bark but no where near as non stop as the videos above, i noticed my braking feeling better when the pedal is stiffer(but can still be depressed all the way down).
    @OP, i would first try to check all your fluids and 12v and stuff, the usual checks for gen 2 prius issues. Then lastly best option is to check for any codes via techstream, possibly even use it to bleed the brakes a bit.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don’t know much about abs issues but I do know if a brake caliper piston gets stuck and you hammer it back that caliper needs to be replaced.

Not sure why no one can post the mileage on there car on a CAR REPAIR FORUM.

But I guess shouldn’t expect much from a 5 word post.

Moses Bruh likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Depends completely on where the pressure is being lost.

The brake system uses the pressure to assist you. The pedal is a lot harder to press (and the car a lot harder to stop, but you still eventually can) if that pressure upstream of your pedal is lost.

The extra scary times are if something fails to hold pressure downstream of your pedal, so the pedal is squishy or goes to the floor and you wish you were slowing down.

Any brake system is complicated enough that it can have different kinds of "going bad" that you would notice in different ways. And the one in the Prius is even more complicated than that, which is why it's not a bad move to be sort of familiar with the diagrams in the New Car Features manual, and to pay close attention to whatever diagnostic codes the system gives you, if any.

#8 ChapmanF, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    davecook89t and Moses Bruh like this.
  9. Priuslover123

Priuslover123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring