1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius 08: truestart battery drains when going into accessory mode and warranty eligiblity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pri4u, Mar 5, 2020.

1. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello,

I have an issue with my truestart battery that was purchased in 2013, and still in it's 7th year warranty.
    Basically the first time I noticed the issue was about a year ago, when I went into accessory mode after some time (less than 30 mins), the dashboard died, and I couldn't do anything. Had to jumpstart. After that incident, I went to pop boys, to measure the 12v battery in the back, and they said that it appears to be still good.

Fast forward to couple of weeks ago (I haven't been really going into accessory mode since then) I accidentally pressed the on button, without holding the brake paddle, so it went to accessory mode, and almost died instantly. had to do another jump start.

A week after, went to pep boys to measure the battery, and the measurement tool showed 247 and the red color, which means the battery is bad and according to the pep rep it needs to be replaced. see picture:
    (where description says "first measurement showing 245 and red color at pep boys, meaning battery needs replacement.").

In the following week, I was trying to figure out which battery replacement should I get, before I realized I still have a prorated battery warranty when I spoke with the toyota dealer. But what they told me, which I want to confirm with you guys, if it makes sense, is basically if I don't want to pay their service to check the battery for $169, I need to bring only the battery from my car, which then they will test in their machine, and once it's confirmed to be bad, they will give me a replacement battery for a prorated price. Does a person who has warranty for a battery, really needs to go through the hassle of taking out the battery from his car, only to prove to toyota that the battery is bad, so he can avoid the expensive service fee of checking it for $169 (which costs more than the prorated amount of the battery)?? Can't a toyota dealer confirm the battery is bad for free under the warranty?

Other than going to accessory mode, I don't have problem to start the car and drive for my daily commute.
    I ran the computer diagnostic while driving, and it shows there 13.8-13.9v. See picture in:
    (where description says "computer diagnostic screen while driving.").
    Also, I went last night to another pep boys again, this time they used a different machine that gives a receipt print out, and they told me the battery is good.
    see picture:
    (where description says "second measure at another pep boys. battery seems to be good.").

So at this point I'm a really confused. I've been told by a toyota dealer service adviser that suposedly the prius should be able to handle up to 2 hours of accessory mode, and an older battery 30 mins or so (is that right?). But can it really drain after less than 5 minutes and consider it not to be a problem?

I'm just trying to understand, if at this point, I have a case for a replacement battery? I just don't want to go through the hassle of taking out the existing battery, take it to Toyota dealer, only to get denied by them saying the battery is still good? how do I prove to them that the battery drains instantly in accessory mode without my car and avoiding the $169 service fee to check the battery? (which pep boys do for free).

Please advise what should I do. My battery warranty expires in September of this year.

Thank you!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Not sure why you feel the need to "hang out" in accessory mode (been there, done that, learned my lesson), it serves no purpose, period (personal opinion). If you want to keep your battery in a healthier state (between replacements), either leave it in "ready" or "off" modes.
    The vehicle will start and stop as needed when in "ready" mode, especially when using the radio, AC, heater or charging your phone/toys.

If your battery is seven (7) years old now, and if you feel the dealer owes you a prorated discount (is that 10% off ??) towards a new battery, then go for it, but I would remove the battery and forego the minimum diagnostic fee, unless you're feeling lucky and want to gamble $169.

A new battery shouldn't be much over $200 at the dealer, with or without installation. You can also find one for less at an auto parts store.

If you don't have to use the vehicle for important reasons, or you're retired, just replace the battery and don't hang in "accessory mode".

You might want to follow this thread, or do a 'advanced search' for other options : Think my 12V Battery is dead, Best deal on a new one? | PriusChat

How many hours per week do you drive?

3. pri4u

pri4u Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. The prorated price is 25% off the MSRP. I talk with another dealer they offer the labor for $70 of replacing it and/or $70 for running a diagnostic on it. I guess my best bet is to take it out and bring it to the dealer, but then they might recharge it and won’t see a problem. I drive about 8 hours a week on average.
    I haven’t really hanged in accessory mode, I hit it by mistake as I wanted to close the open windows, and by the time I realized that it died on me. I guess another option is to buy the small jump start device.

btw do you know if I buy a prorated battery, do I get a new 7 year warranty on it?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual (more info), Policy 4.11, “Service Part Battery Warranty Coverage,” says the discount is 50% of the current MSRP, from 25 to 48 months, or 25%, from 49 to 84 months.
    The dealer’s offer to test the battery at no charge is consistent with the TrueStart warranty, which according to the policy, doesn’t cover labor after the 24-month free-exchange period.
    Toyota requires dealers to use one of the Toyota-approved 12-volt battery testers (Midtronics NVS8150, GR8, DSS-5000, or DCA-8000) and to include the tester printout, as proof that the battery was defective, with any warranty claim. Nothing else is likely to convince the dealer that Toyota will reimburse the claim.

SFO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tl;dr

SFO likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "245" is likely Cold Cranking Amps, which is low. My old battery, the one I'm still keeping around the garage, shows 270.

New, they're rated for something like 325m and tested will typically show around 375, definitely higher than rated.

Never, ever, "hang out" listening to the radio in accessory, it just can't take it.