1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius #1 Seller in Japan

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw a show last night that had a laser mounted to a tank that could destroy a mine or other suspicious object. It was controlled by joystick and I believe it was 2 kw. I think the NiMH battery is 3 KW isn't it? If so then.....again never in anger and only for good.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2kw sounds a little low for a mine-killer...
    There's a bit of a difference in how power is measured (and delivered) in optics though. The 3kw of electrical potential in your battery is released as electricity, and a little bit more gradually than a laser pulse would be.
    You can also add lasers to the things that the FCC and/or BATF will not likely 'approve' for use by private automobiles.(I wonder who would win that turf battle?)
    We squids use airborne lasers for (marine) mine detection, but I haven't seen a laser mine killer yet---although that does NOT mean there's not one out there somewhere!
    I guess the environmentalists would like the lasers to kill mines better than teaching a sea lion to do it, although I expect we'll catch grief for blinding fish or killing some silver-sided snail darter thingy.

Ya just can't win sometimes. :(

3. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course, but the Prius will be particularly susceptible. ;-)

4. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I've always thought that the whole EMP thing is rather exaggerated---like the Y2K bug, or 1 droplet of Anthrax being able to wipe out all life in the US east if the Mississippi.
    We've seen the latter 2 and I remain unimpressed.

However (comma) if someone initiates an EMP strike in this part of the world, Priuses are only going to be as vulnerable as any other microprocessor controlled device---heck, even my Harley has an ECU.

We're probably going to have a few other little problems to deal with in addition to non-mobile Priuses though...:cool:

5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Indeed! All modern vehicles (from the last 20-30 years) would likely be rendered nonoperable in one go for starters.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^^^ And that includes diesel engined vehicles, buses, trucks, trains etc.

Most vehicles from before about 1980 should be ok though. The simpler the better.

Hey maybe this is a business opportunity? You could have an EMP proof range of goods for the erm, concerned citizen? Charge over the odds for some old car, wind up watches, push along lawn mowers. Even if the product turned out not to be EMP proof who cares, it's not like they're going to sue you as a lawsuit would be the least of your worries if the was an EMP.

7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^haha, nothing like making lemonade out of potential lemons. ;D

8. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm digging a bunker under my house with a garage for my Prius to sleep in...how deep do I need to go?

9. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Orlando???
    You go deeper than 6 feet, and you're going to be under water....:D