1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 12V Battery went dead in 20 hours, Fob key won't unlock door

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by sgpriusdriver, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, just a defective.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In READY mode - you can lock with the key. But probably not the most secure way of living. And you can then only Unlock with the key.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is not true for US models. By default the front lights are supposed to turn off after 30 minutes. I never tested that. I changed the setting to turn the lights off immediately.

William Redoubt likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could be wrong, but believe it's so that stopping any system while moving might endanger life or property leading to more attorney bonus payments. :eek:

kithmo likes this.
  5. sgpriusdriver

sgpriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still havent figure out what was the reason as to why I wasn't able to unlock the door during zero battery state at my home. Funny thing was I had two other person(one maintenance crew and one tow truck driver) who didn't managed to unlock the door(tried all sorts of twisting and wrangling etc) when the pirus was parked at my home. But once the prius was towed to the workshop, the mechanic onsite was able to unlock the prius with zero battery state by twisting the same fob key counterclock wise with near zero effort.

The failing battery is scheduled for replacement later in 7hours time.

Today I last used the prius at around 9pm. At around 5:30am today I went to the car to check out the voltage of the failing battery(I have a 3way cigarette socket with built in voltage display), it was reading at a precariously low 11.4v which is around 10% SOC for a typical battery.

#25 sgpriusdriver, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  6. sgpriusdriver

sgpriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like there's some firmware/safety differences between the US models and my Asia Right hand drive model.

My prius will beep loudly if you forget to switch off any of the front lights when you try to lock the car.
    Also It won't allow you to externally lock the car(both key and door handle) when the prius is in ready state.
    Also it wont allow you to press accelerator and brake pedal concurrently while in D mode.

#26 sgpriusdriver, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine beeps too, but I generally use AUTO. Does yours have an AUTO setting for Headlights - mine turn off after about 30 seconds, not quite long enough to get the key in the house door?

And no, I haven't tried leaving them on for the 20 mins after which I suspect they'd turn off. I tried that on another car once - and had a neighbour knock on the door to tell me my lights were on.

But I can definitely lock or unlock the car with the key while it's running A/C on!!

They must have hundreds of different regional versions of PRIUS.

RCO likes this.
  8. sgpriusdriver

sgpriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does have auto for lights. It will switch off the light as soon as you hit the stop button.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 way socket with voltage display? hmm...

RCO likes this.
  10. Priifan

Priifan Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have not had a problem locking the door unless the key has walked off on its own, and can't be found in the car. That can be a real bummer if you can't walk (for two months I was rolling in a wheelchair up to the car in the garage and transferring into the drivers seat before driving off leaving the wheelchair for my return.) In order to get out of the car, I drove around the neighborhood looking for someone outside, and a friend bent under the passenger's seat and found the keys. Otherwise I could not have opened the door into the house and would have been stuck in the garage. That was getting scary as the minutes ticked by.
    Guess I will start a new thread of weird key fob stories so we can hear stories like:
    Who else has "lost" their keys in the car and can't lock up and leave it? (This has happened several times to us.)

RCO likes this.
  11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No fob or Prius content:

So back in 1965 I was at the Indy 500 driving my Alfa roadster (Guiletta Veloce 1300 Spyder) into the infield and I got my blanket out of the trunk and locked my keys in the trunk. Fortunately for me, the car had hinges that were external to the bodywork and, if you got behind the seats with the right tools, you could remove some bolts and remove the trunk lid enough to get at the keys.

So I wandered around asking folks until I found someone who had a set of tools and borrowed same. Went back to the car, unbolted the hinges, rebolted them and returned the tool.

Back to the car only then realizing I still hadn't removed the keys! Sheepishly returned, got the tools again to much laughter and went back, removed the hinges and got the keys.

And I swear I was sober. Now the night before not so much, the overnight parking line waiting to get in is a heck of a party.

And driving out of the Brickyard infield onto the city streets after the race was the only time in my life I had a cop wave at me to go faster when I was already at double the speed limit.

Priifan, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Follow me home lights are a bit pointless for me, I drive past the house door before I get out and I have a wall light on the side of the house. If I put the car in the garage, which is past the house, I would have it in ready mode whilst opening the garage so the headlights would still be on anyway.

13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmm. I reverse into my driveway with the car's rear towards the house door, so my headlamps shine into the house across the street. :cool::rolleyes:

#33 RCO, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    bisco, Priifan and kithmo like this.
  14. sgpriusdriver

sgpriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update, my prius battery got replaced. Now the car feels more zippy than before. Not sure exactly why the car "feels" better in acceleration but my guess is that the new battery stays charged and don't sap charging power from the Hybrid System as much.

Also it seems that my firmware got updated. Some new function that allows for control of popup notification like if you want to see the top display showing climate changes every time you touch the physical A/C buttons.

15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very likely - an update of firmware can change lots of little things. Thought it could possibly the faulty battery meant that the firmware wasn't working correctly.

My Ford FOCUS, after the 15,000km service was quite different in feel, seemed to be more torque and economy improved - I asked them later, and they said that it re-mapped the engine control computer, whatever that entails, they didn't have details.

RCO likes this.
  16. Archenemy

Archenemy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My battery died 3 times in less than 1 month after collecting my car..but i managed to open it with my physical key..

The 3 times it happened...i parked the car for more than 12 hours...

Suspect that our 12v battery is damn weak..only 45aH and 295 CCA...

I just need to know what caused the drain..since everything was off..

And im from singapore also..

17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seeing yours is not a Prius hybrid, it would need the 12v battery to start the engine.

With PRIUS, the 12v doesn't start the engine at all, it's the HYBRID battery does that - the small 12v battery only runs ancillary items.

18. Archenemy

Archenemy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is a 2016 prius....

RCO likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Alan's got a bit confused with his threads there. He'll be back to normal when he's rebooted himself! ;)

bisco likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He had his car listed as "Other Non Hybrid" - which meant it wasn't a PRIUS. I notice he's changed it - which changes the situation entirely.