1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2 gen help diagnose issue and estimates costs !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StanleyTailor, Jan 5, 2019.

1. StanleyTailor

StanleyTailor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello everyone!
    Thank you for your help in advance

i have Prius 2 Gen 2008 year
    im second owner
    i bought this car with 107,000 miles on ODO
    now it is 160,000 miles on ODO

ATTACHED PHOTO
    image1.png

ISSUE 1.

so from the left to right
    Red Triangle > Yellow Brake Symbol > Yellow VSC LOGO > Yellow Tire Presure Logo > on another computer monitor Red Battery Logo > Red Car with Attention Logo!

- So the basic OBD II checker from the store shows zero errors!!!!
    - All this VISUAL ERRORS LOGOS POPS UP IN ONE TIME AND STAY, BUT CAR DRIVES FINE!
    - I am driving this car every day and does not feel or hear any noises or suspicious stuff with this car

1) i do understand that Red Battery Logo showing that Hybrid Battery is on its end of Life Cycle and ready to be replaced or rebuild. ( Car drives fine showing 35 mpg in city cycle, and 45 mpg on Highway, but i feel that hybrid battery was much more better when i bought a car on 107,000 miles.) Right now i can refill the battery if i drive from the hill for 1 mile and it will charge to full from 2 bars

2) i noted that INSTANT MPG on Highway if the speed is 65 miles/hour WAS around 61-65 mpg on computer, and Now it is 41-45 mpg,

ISSUE 2.

Some Times Prius Starts without DASH DISPLAY LIGHTS, But only Computer DISPLAY WORKS GIVING THE MESSAGE " PROBLEM!" Car drives normally all features working.

- DASH LIGHTS, - it is the screen that is showing SPEEDOMETER, ODOMETER, GEARS!
    - After UNPLUGING 12v small nonhybrid battery from the CAR or 10 seconds and PLUG it back, Car Starts normally without any error message! and this happening Once in a week, some times once in a MONTH

recently i changed front left and right Bearings, Rotors, Brakes pads.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See the little car icon on the MFD on the right we call that the turtle and usually means the hybrid battery has failed.

The dash failing is a very common issue. Its referred to as the Combo Meter. Use search forum and search

combo meter

Few posters on here repair the combo board you just have to remove it and re-install it. Rebuild of combo costs $100.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with a check up of the 12v health. when satisfied with that, locate a tech stream diagnostic tool for proper code reading.
    if you are going to diy, get one yourself. if not, try luscious garage or other reputable hybrid shoppe

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Some of the basic OBD2 readers at the various auto parts stores aren't hybrid compatible, you might have better luck scanning at another parts store as they all use different equipment/scanners (even within the same chain).

If you like.. I would be happy to run an OBD2 scan for you.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe I should’ve left the Techstream laptop with you:whistle:.

SFO likes this.
  6. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you start the car, is the driver door open or closed? 8) You want it closed. You might also pull the obd bt device before starting.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Go to Lusciou's Garage (SF) or Art's Automotive (Berkely).

The car is telling you there is a serious problem, but you choose to ignore it.
    By analogy, your doctor tells you the labs show you have HIGH cholesterol levels, but you feel fine. You ignore his advice of lifestyle (diet & exercise) and medication, because you feel fine. You drop dead a few days/weeks/months later b/c of a thrombosis; happens.​

IF the HV Battery is bad, continuing to drive on a failing one will leave you stranded in the very near future.

If you want to retrieve codes, get Techstream ($22+ from Amazon). Techstream is the official OBD software written for Toyota/Lexus, and used at all Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Easiest to install on an obsolete Win32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7); Mac install possible, just search for it. You can likely acquire a windows laptop for free, by networking for IT contacts; these people will have obsolete equipment collecting dust somewhere, or will know another IT person who has a laptop. This laptop should become your Toyota OBD2 reader and only used for vehicle maintenance/diagnostic. NO email, banking, online purchases for security reasons.

Quality control of the cables is all over the place, since these are knock offs from Panda Land. You may have to return and buy again to get a working cable. Doesn't matter who you buy from, as all the sellers are most likley buying from the same one or two producers of the cable and hacked software.
    Amazon.com: mini vci techstream

9. StanleyTailor

StanleyTailor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HELPING ME!

I have another issue! Ive just checked this prius with CARFAX and found that previous owner ROLLED BACK ODOMETER for 150.000 miles! I have to admit that this prius with mine 160.000 miles is fake, real mileage is 310.000 ! I didnt check this car with carfax when i bought it! Because inside interior was almost like new without any tears and minor wear ! And I trusted the owner at that time when i bought this car at 100.000 miles! 1 year ago

So im very imressed that prius runs still good with real 310.000 miles!

Here is the report on carfax you need to see it!!! Im the last owner in the list!

C69B5350-9A87-4AAD-BBBE-AA03A7E3EB3D.png F8FE8B68-D40C-4A31-98F8-25F1514792A7.png

10. StanleyTailor

StanleyTailor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    UPDATES ABOUT MY ISSUE!

At last i seted up the techatream on xp32bit (86) and now i have some codes!

C1310 HV SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
    P0A08 DC/DC Converter status circuit
    P0A09 DC/DC Converter status circuit low input

After i reset all codes and drive for a two days TWO stays

- C1310
    - P0A08

RED TRAINGLE >> (!) >> vsc >> tire pressure

Stays on dash and red battery with car attention indicators on monitor!

No any codes anywhere else!
    All these inficators on dash had appeared just all together in one second suddenly!

I dont feel any problems in driving car! Only on highways on 65 miles speed i feel car is not stable!

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a two day subscription to the owners manual, and let the troubleshooting begin. all the best!(y)

12. StanleyTailor

StanleyTailor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    UPDATE good news, just found another menu in techstream which shows DTS CODES another ones
    c0371, c1271, c1272, c1273, c1274, c1275, c1276, c1277, c1278, c1281, c1346

13. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    crap, sorry for the multiple posts, comp froze on me.

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The HV Battery is dying (P0A08).

All other codes will likely disappear once the HV Battery is replaced.

Contradictory report. You say you don't feel any problems driving the car. BUT, you also report the car does NOT feel stable at freeway speeds.

The Prius needs both the gasoline engine and electric motor to operate properly. Since the HV Battery is dying, the electric motor is unable to supply the needed power to make the Prius run normally. The Prius is NOT designed to run on the gasoline engine alone; it is designed to run on BOTH (gas and electric). This is why you feel the car is NOT stable at freeway speeds.

If you have to pay for labor, I recommend you get rid of the car since it has 300K+ miles.

Future cars, pay the few dollars for a CarFax report, so you don't get burned again. Trust, but verify! This will serve you well in life.