1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2 Head Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Zardoz, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really REALLY dislike the stereo on my 2017 Prius 2. Are there replacement heads around that actually integrate well into the system? I travel to different cities and miss the various "banks" of FM channel selections. On my previous Prius, I used Bank 1 (FM 1) for my local stations and Bank 2 (FM 2) for my out of town stations.

With the stock unit, when using the steering wheel controls I have to pass through stations that either are not available or in some cases VERY wrong content.

Thanks!

RCO likes this.
  2. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm curious to see what others have done and what options are available.

3. Brother A

Brother A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey @Zardoz!
    Here it is 2024 and I am having the same dilemma and found your thread. What was the verdict? I just had a long conversation with Best Buy today and seems that this Maestro ready Kenwood double din unit might do the trick - with all the necessary wire harnesses of course.

Kenwood - 6.8" Android Auto and Apple CarPlay Bluetooth Digital Media (DM) Receiver and Maestro Ready - Black
    Model:DMX7709S
    SKU:6516336

But I really would rather get one of the SONY units but not sure they will work with the Prius.

My main curiosity if the radio will loose things like notifications from the car that might normally pop up on the OEM radio.

Thanks for any feedback you have.

4. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed an Alpine ILX-F509 in my 2018 Prius 2. It looks like it was stock.

There is a new Sony that is 10" and costs less than my ILX-F509.
    It will work in the Prius. The key thing you have to remember is that when replacing the stock head unit, you will need to include a Maestro RR unit. The Maestro will handle interfacing with the car.

This is the new Sony in question: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV8500/Sony-XAV-AX8500.html?tp=5684

5. KRDucky

KRDucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not noticed any notifications specific to the radio. The only thing that I noticed that isnt there is the screen that shows where power is going (from wheel to battery etc). I have Zero regrets replacing the radio.