1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2 UK engine noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by james909, Aug 30, 2018.

1. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. My car (2005, 117,000 miles) has started making a new noise. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what the problem could be?

Many thanks.

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Check your serpentine belt, sometimes when they are in need of replacement they make a cracking noise.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very odd noise it’s out of sync with the rev of the motor like it’s just something loose in the motor clanking around
    If it was me I would check the oil level and the coolant level.
    Don’t bother checking the white overflow tank for coolant level take off the black plastic cover that’s covering the rad by taking out the 6 screws and open the radiator cap. Coolant should be at the top of the cap.
    If low you have a leak and then

Get a flash light and look closely in the front of the engine check is the belt there like hc said and then look very closely for dried red specis that’s leaking coolant from a blown engine water pump.

padroo likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My guess would be the water pump also but isn't there a tensioner for the water pump could be the bearing is failing. It only has one belt so I would remove it and start it up and see if the noise goes away. Only do this for a short period of time.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Water pump and/or belt tensioner is my vote. This is easily verified.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

yes thats a good suggestion but the noise is out of sync with the engine revs to me but who knows. The belt trick is easy and takes the pump and tensioner off the table.

Hope the OP never ran it so low on engine oil it threw a red triangle of death cause that will make alot of noises lol.....

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once all external noises are eliminated like the water pump and tensioner the noise has to be internal if I din't miss something.

8. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and thanks for your help. There has been dry crusty pink coolant around the water pump for a few years and the Toyota dealership did suggest replacing it but that was two years ago and it wasn't make a noise then so I didn't. I've just topped up the header tank with 500ml of coolant.

I've not had the red triangle but it does use oil. About 1 to 1.5 litres every 8000 miles. I check it every now and then and had to put a litre in the other day because it was at the bottom of the dipstick. After that top up it was up to the higher dimple on the dip stick.

The plan is now to take it to a garage and ask them about the water pump etc but I don't like guessing whereby they do work that doesn't fix the problem. It's not throwing any codes and drives well with good mpg, about 53 city at the moment.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Weeping water pump means it’s blown.

Checking the oil every now and then leading up to no oil on the dipstick means the engine is damaged.

Higher dimple on dipstick means that’s the full line and that’s where the oil should be at all times.

10. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello again. So if I remove the serpentine belt then start the engine if I don't hear the noise then I should replace the pump and belt. If I still hear the noise it's something else.

11. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could I just hand turn the belt and listen for a noise without removing anything?

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Geez. Just replace the pump and be done. Do you want a cheap part to be the cause of leaving you stranded some time in the future? The water pump is telling you to replace me soon w/ the dried coolant on the outside! You clearly like to push your luck, two years later, with the audible clue telling you to replace me yesterday. This assumes you diagnosis is correct: engine not on, sound disapears.

Loosen the belt and spin the water pump and belt tensioner bearing by hand. One or both will likely be binding and you will feel it. All three of these parts (pump, tensioner, belt) are cheap, esp since they last so long; cost per mile will be bery low.

bisco and edthefox5 like this.
  13. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update - I took the car to the garage and the mechanic stuck his hand down and there was loads of lateral play in the water pump. Replaced it and the belt for 130 gbp plus lent me a car for the afternoon which I think is a great deal. The noise has gone now. Thanks for all your help and hopefully others will benefit from this thread. The garage is Nest Autos in Eccleshill, Bradford, England.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.