1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2 versus Prius 3 pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by southjerseycraig, Jul 31, 2017.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the type of battery. I doubt Toyota would but in a bad battery and sell them in their cars. A lot of EVs have lithium ion batteries and they haven't had problems with their batteries. Currently, lithium ion is the more popular battery choice in electrified cars and will become possibly cheaper than nickel because there will be more and more EVs. I guess there is a piece of mind with the Nickel though.

RCO likes this.
  2. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me put it this way: if the Two had the lithium, and the Three had the nickel, I would not pick the Three for that reason. That's because I agree with you that the risk of the Two not lasting is not worth the extra money. OTOH, the presence of the lithium battery in the Three is not a substantial advantage over the nickel in the Two, and so the presence of the lithium battery is not a reason to pay extra for the Three. I hope that makes sense.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I got the first part, I know I got the second part of it.

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I wouldn't care what battery I have in my car (I have a lithium). You'll be fine with either battery, but most EVs are using lithium batteries, so the price on those are likely to drop. Having a lithium in the Three is not a reason to pay extra. In the end, whatever is in your budget is good. Neither battery is a deal breaker for any trim. It's just the way Toyota decided to package their batteries to allow all Prii except the Two Eco to get the same MPGs.

I found this article: http://europe.autonews.com/article/20151128/COPY/311289998/why-toyota-offers-2-battery-choices-in-next-prius

It says the lithium weighs less than the nickel, so in the higher trims they can pack more tech in like the sunroof, HUD, and 17" wheels. They have similar performance. Now, it makes sense how the Two Eco gets higher mileage; better aerodynamics, lighter lithium battery pack, and less equipment.

#23 'LectroFuel, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    pilotgrrl, RCO and southjerseycraig like this.