1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2 versus Prius Bumpy Ride?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by fredm, Jul 16, 2017.

1. fredm

fredm New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the 2017 Prius 3 (non-touring) a smoother ride than the 2017 Prius 2? I will have to test drive the Prius 3 again, but it seemed to be smoother.

I have two experiences with a Prius 2 and both times it seemed like a bumpy ride. When I was out of town recently, I was able to rent a Prius 2 for a couple of days. While there are many things to like about the Prius 2, I thought the ride was bumpy. I assumed that even though it had 10,000 miles it may have been handled roughly by other renters.

Today, I went on a test drive of both the Prius 2 and the Prius 3. I was leaning toward the Prius 2 because of the lower price. But it just did not ride as smooth as the Prius 3. The salesperson thought it was not possible. So I was not comfortable buying today.

I can tolerate some bumpiness, I can't shell out big bucks for a perfectly smooth ride. But this difference between the Prius 2 and 3 seems odd. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat Fred. In my opinion there is very little difference in ride quality between the two different models. However, I strongly suspect that the harder ride from the 2 was due to over-inflated tyres. Softer than recommended gives a smoother ride but reduced fuel economy, whereas over pressurising (sorry, UK spelling) improves fuel consumption. The downside to higher pressure is you feel every little bump in the roadway.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Differences may have been tire pressures and tire brands. From factory the tires are inflated very high to avoid flat spots. The dealer Prius 2 may not yet have been prepped and the pressures lowered to recommended.
    Some people here have taken delivery where the dealer forgot to lower the pressures.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.