1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2001, brake light on and car slow down

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by try4141, Jul 1, 2010.

1. try4141

try4141 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi All,
    My Prius 2001 with 140k. Sometimes while I am driving, the brake light aumatically comes on and the car slow down by itselt. I have to stop the car, turn the engine off, then turn it on, then the brake light is gone and the car would run as normal. It happen less often before, like 2 months ago, but now it happens more regularly, say every 10-15 miles. Did not have the chance to read the code. What could be wrong? ABS, rear brake, regenerative sysytem, transaxle?
    Thanks

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Assuming the Gen1 Prius is the same as the other two models, the brake light is activated by a switch under the dash that is contacted by the brake pedal. But the brake light coming on would not cause the car to slow down unless you were using the cruise control? that same switch also deactivates the cruise control. But that shouldn't require restarting the car.

So I guess you are going to need to provide more information before we can make a guess, unless someone else has had the same problem.

RCO likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another question for clarity, are you talking about the brake lights on the back of the car or the brake icon on the dash ?

RCO likes this.
  4. try4141

try4141 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi all,
    For clarity, the brake light on the dash board is the one that is ON, NOT the brake light by the bumper. There is nothing wrong with the switch at the parking brake. When I was driving at 50mph, all the sudden I felt like the car is stopping and the brake light in on, after that the car will slow down. The car still can run but sounded very heavy, just like we are driving with the parking brake on. I have to stop the car, turn the engine off, then on again. Then the car can run normally. But the same thing would happen again after 15-20 miles or so.
    Thanks

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, that clears it up a bit, I thought you were referring tho the stop lights in the back. With out looking at the codes it would be hard to make even an informed guess, braking ECU perhaps.

I would suggest you read out the codes and repost your problem in the Gen I Prius Discussion forum: Generation 1 Prius Discussion - PriusChat Forums

6. Reza75

Reza75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi I have the same problem .did you find out what the problem is?please let me know if you know what's wrong and what could be the problem.thanks

7. Reza75

Reza75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi I have the same problem .did you find out what the problem is?please let me know if you know what's wrong and what could be the problem.thanks

RCO likes this.
  8. KDEN

KDEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

RCO likes this.
  9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, someone has to take the initiative to get their car to the dealer; if no other reason then to get an estimate. If the brake light on the dash is lit, you're looking at potentially everything connnected to the brake system starting with the master brake cylinder to a shorted wiring harness. Hope y'all find some answers here at PC, but the dealer would be my first stop.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

RCO likes this.
  10. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ooops, I see this is an old thread. I'm sure all is resolved by now.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

11. try4141

try4141 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

Sorry for late reply. I fixed the problem by changing 4 bad cells in the traction battery. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  12. PriusVT

PriusVT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, did anyone come up with a fix for the problem of the brake light (the dashboard indicator light-not the brake lights on the rear of the car) coming on while driving at highway speeds and engine sounding like it is revving? My 2001 Prius with 180K just started doing this. To get the problem to “go away†I have to stop the car, turn it off and then restart it. The car then runs normally but the problem reoccurs. I’ve noticed that the cruise control is no longer functioning. Also one of the cells in the battery is failing. Are these issues connected?

13. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you have a problem with the HV battery, then you have a problem with regenerative braking, which will turn on the brake light.

There is lots of information here on fixing your battery yourself, if you feel so inclined.

14. Knrruler

Knrruler New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    May i know how to repair battery ourself
    Thank you

15. Marc Pierre

Marc Pierre New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please give me details on how to go about fixing the car as you did, thanks

16. Marc Pierre

Marc Pierre New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    And how much did it cost you.

17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to rain on your parade Marc, but the OP was last seen on this site almost 4½ years ago!

Since he's not been back, in not sure if a poke @try4141 will work. It seems not to be recognized, so unless our esteemed moderator @Tideland Prius can help contact him, you're out of luck my friend.