1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2001 Exhaust issues, not sure where to post.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Drag31, May 17, 2014.

1. Drag31

Drag31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First off I wanna say, I'm sad I didn't know about Priuschat sooner.
    I got my first prius (though be it used) about 3 months ago and I love it, it's the best car I've ever owned.
    I come to you fine people with a problem, I was driving home today and my prius become suddenly very loud as if the muffler had come off. I stopped the car hoping it was something simple I could see, but I couldn't see a thing. Until i got home set up some boards and drove up onto them- I took this photo (without climbing under bc the thing is up on some boards).
    [​IMG]
    I've little to no knowledge of cars- but I can follow directions very well.
    Can anyone identify the part by name and or part number?
    Anyone know a ballpark of what the replacement will cost?
    Is there any short cut i can take such as a liquid weld product or having the part professionally welded back into place?
    Where should I be posting this?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi....your in the wrong place to post a repair question for your car. Go to the Gen2 Forum and then when you open that up there's a G1 sub category. Its small and hard to find. You'll see it...post there and you'll have better results with replies back.

Not familiar with the G1 chassis but the muffler post catalytic converter rotted off. And to make matters worse looks like the end attachment on the cat is quite rotted too making it very hard if not impossible to attach new muffler. Hopefully a muffler shop can rig something up as cats are quite expensive. Muffler cheap cat expensive.
    So take the car to the local muffler shop. Not much left to jb weld.

You didn't post where you live or home many miles on car but looks like up north car. Lots of rust. I'm afraid your going to learn about cars with this one.

While up on the muffler rack duke the muffler guy a few bucks and ask him to look if there's any thing really scary in the front or rear suspension or brakes that needs to be addressed too. I imagine the brakes are very bad too.

Good Luck.

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My recollection is that the gen. I has a one piece stainless exhaust. How good/bad is the rest of the car?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes looks like one piece to me also as I see no clamps. Expensive.

5. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A