1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2002 stopped, no restart, no scanner connect etc.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by redbarron55, Nov 5, 2014.

1. redbarron55

redbarron55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My 2002 Prius stopped while driving down the road and will not restart.
    The fule level is flashing and was ~ 1/2 when the car failed.
    My scanner will not read the OBDC2 (not connecting). The windows other than the drivers will not go up or down.
    The PRNDLB does not show gear.
    The 12 volt battery is OK, but the HV battery shown as blank on the energy screen.
    Any ideas? I read through some of the previous posts, but I haven't found a fix.
    I understand it could be the ECU or??
    What should I check?
    I hate to put too much into a 2002 with 190,000 miles, but it does still have value if I can get it running again.
    For example if I needed a rebuilt battery for 15-1800 I would probably go for it. So far the car has been 100% reliable.
    Thanks,
    JDB

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You'll want to get access to volume 1 (diagnosis) of the service manual. Easiest way will be the $15 subscription at techinfo.toyota.com, as the paper volume seems to be out of print now. You might find a used copy, but at techinfo you'll have all you need right away.

Compare what you're seeing to the "fuel-gauge diagnosis check" under "combination meter system" (page DI-661-1 in my copy, but your year is different so the pages might change). It sounds like you're seeing the first blink pattern (all segments, pattern #1). That would be a failure of communications between the various ECUs, possibly caused by a wiring failure or by failure of the Body ECU or Engine ECU. This isn't a common failure (I've been on this forum since 2008 and haven't seen it posted before), so there probably won't be a lot of threads here to help you ... it'll be a matter of studying the diags manual and using your head. Whatever it comes down to will probably not be an expensive fix.

Don't get started thinking it's your HV battery just because you've heard Priuses have one. That's a common jump people seem to make, but there's nothing in these symptoms that point to it.

If you're using a scantool that isn't known to communicate with all of the Prius ECUs, you probably should get your hands on one that is. You can find threads here about that.

In your case it's possible, even with the right scantool, you won't get information because of the communication problem. In that case, many of the ECUs have an alternate way of displaying codes by blinking lights, which doesn't require the OBD-II bus to work. That's very well covered in volume 1, plus there are a lot of posts in this forum about it.

However, most of the lights that blink are on the combination meter, so the communication issue you seem to be having might block that too. But that would be a useful result; it would tell you something.

The Body ECU has its own fallback where if it can't communicate with the meter to flash codes, it flashes the dome light instead. So I'd go ahead, get a jumper wire, try the test mode, and see what you see. It will probably tell us a lot.

-Chap

WHCSC and bwilson4web like this.
  3. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the info. Years ago I downloaded this, but I can't find the file on my old computer.
    I have owned this Prius since 2003 and 15,000 miles. It now has about 190,00 miles on it.
    The traction battery has not been replaced as yet.
    I mentioned it since I have considered what I would do if it needed replacement. If and (or) when I get the car fixed I would invest in the battery since it has been 100% reliable up til now and it provides good economical transportation to and from work.
    I think that this will be somewhat of an Easter egg hunt and require some digging to find the problem.
    There will be some cost in driving my 1990 Chevy Suburban instead of the Prius.

Thanks,

JDB

4. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This afternoon (shortly before dark cut off work) I did the following.
    Replaced the 12 volt battery (since everyone says to check it first and I have a new Odyessy battery.
    Opened door and got the dome light on and the dash door open icon.
    The drivers door window will go up and down no others from the drivers door.
    Added 5 gallons of gas in case it was really empty (was at 1/2 when the car quit.)
    tomorrow I will try more troubleshooting on the wiring and power to the ECUs involved.
    I will also check all of the fuses etc.
    This is a definite case of S.A.R. (Sumpin Ain't Right).

Jump right in if you have some suggestions. I read the diagnostic on opening the door, switching ign on off 10 times etc, but it is too complicated to follow in the dark. I think I will short the pint tomorrow instead!

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Once you find the problem, you'll be entitled to the whole pint....

-Chap

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the OBD bus is not working:
    • check fuses - not just inspect but ohm them out
    • use 'flash' techniques described in the diagnostic manual to check each ECU
    • reseat connectors - inspect and reseat
    I hope it is not a broken wire in the harness . . . those are the pits!

Bob Wilson

7. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the help. I am still trying to make sense out of the instructions from Toyota.
    I thought I would start by checking all of the fuses and then find the ECU and clean and reseat the connectors as suggested.
    I don't understand the flashing of the ECUs but I will read the manual more as I work and maybe I can figure it out somehow.
    Thanks again.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I don't think Bob meant "flashing of the ECUs" in the way sometimes meant (storing new software in their flash memory) ... just telling the ECUs to flash lights to tell you what's going on. That's easy, you put one jumper wire between the Tc and CG pins at the diagnostic connector, turn the key ON, and (normally) lights all start blinking the codes from their assigned ECUs, all as described in the various volume 1 chapters where it says "in case of not using Toyota hand-held tester".

In your case, with a suspected comm problem, the blinkage might not all happen (because the lights are mostly in the combination meter, and the other ECUs need to communicate with it to make the lights blink). The Body ECU has its own fallback method: normally it blinks out its codes on the door-ajar light, but if it can't contact the combination meter, it blinks the dome light instead.

If it were me, I think I'd start by trying to get codes before trying to dig out fuses, clean ECU connectors, etc. Even uncovering all the ECUs in the car is a chore, and knowing what codes you get (or can't get) could narrow it in a way that saves you a lot of time.

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got out this morning and started checking fuses and found the 15A. fusr to the AM2 circuit blown. I swapped it for the dome light and this got me the car ready and it started and ran for a very little while intil the fuse blew again. Does any one know what this circuit feeds?
    I am going to search the manual for some information.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think I am on the trail of the problem.
    I replaced the fuses (after fetching some driving my 25 year old suburban) and the fuse did not blow in ACC and I checked codes successfully with my scanner. No codes set.
    I started the car and the fuse did not blow but after running for a little while I noticed some smoke wafting from the front left of the engine compartment.
    Looking down I coud see smoke coming out of the cover for the HV cooling pump.
    I assume that the current had dropped since the resistance was such that the fuse did not blow but it was enough to "let the smoke out" of the pump.
    It looks like I need a HV cooling pump!
    Anybody have the part number handy?
    I think I will call the Toyota dealer to get a price.
    Wish me luck.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK the local dealers have plenty of pumps for the GEN 2 prius, but have to order the Gen 1 part.
    Since I can't get one today I have ordered one off the net fo a little less money.
    The part number I got is:
    G9020-47022
    I guess that the pump blew the AM2 fuse before I got a high temp alarm on the inverter.
    The scanner showed no codes when I got the AM2 fuse replaced.
    Today I will get the old pump out by loosening the bumper cover and left headlight.
    When the pump gets here I will be ready to install it and button up the car.
    Thanks, for the help guys.
    I will report back in when I have the pump installed.

12. redbarron55

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Installed the new HV Inverter pump, bled the air out of the system and going again.
    Again the pump shorted out and blew the AM-2 fuse and the car stopped.
    No communications with the CPUs and the scanner would not connect, but it would power the scanner.
    I replaced the fuse and got no codes cranked the engine and the fuse blew again and I saw a little smoke coming fron the pump (Luck me!).
    I ordered a new pump from Marin Toyota over the internet. ( By the way they were very slow to ship and lost the first pump somewhere).
    Put the pump in this morning and now running good!

Thanks for the help all!

JDB

13. RW5207

RW5207 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So are you saying you replaced the pump twice?

Russ

14. Ezekiel Corella

Ezekiel Corella New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im experiencing the same type of issue, while driving my car shut off and didn’t turn back on. The red triangle popped up and saying main battery. I left it for 10mins or so turned it on and even drove it around the block. Idk what is the issue with it ! Anyone please help !!!

15. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Check your inverter coolant reservoir with the ignition on but with the engine not running - don’t crank it. If you see no turbulence, then you need to replace the inverter pump just like the original poster did. The system will shut the car off to prevent the inverter from overheating. Good luck.

Raytheeagle and Brian in Tucson like this.
  16. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and it has been hot for the past week, so this issue would be more likely to raise its ugly head. I'd probably just plan on
    acquiring a new inverter coolant pump.

Raytheeagle and tada like this.
  17. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW: any owner of a Gen I Prius with more than 200k miles should consider replacing the inverter cooling pump (part #G9020-47022, about US$120) when convenient, as a preventive maintenance item. As many posters have indicated, this is a "can't get the car to go at all" failure mode. Consider this: assuming an average speed of 30mph, 200k miles is 6700 hours of operation. Computer hard disk drives have a 50% failure rate by 10,000 hours (the B50 Weibull life, or "average" life") so... how lucky do you feel? I have had two inverter cooling pumps fail at about 250k miles (and 15 years), fortunately in situations when limp-home was an option. Of course, keep the operational old one as a spare, "just in case"...

18. Newbyowner

Newbyowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2003 that did basically the same thing. I went to pick up my daughter & the car was running fine I waited for several minutes & decided to turn the car off to wait instead of leaving it running. When she came out to the car it would not do anything everything was gone! I had intended to fix it & even bought a used inverter /converter unit since that was what I thought it must be. Battery was showing good & the one in the truck tested where it should be also (dealership assured me it was the small battery so I tested the voltage) I had just had the steering column nut changed & the steering got very bad afterwards so Toyota ended up changing the rack & pinion. I have not been able to even attempt to fix it because I can not lift the unit & now my son-in-law who was going to help me can't due to an accident at his work. I loved the car but it has been sitting for a while now & there is no way I will ever be able to do the work required even if it is the fuse & the pump needs to be changed the dealership is 45 minutes away & from what I read it would not make it that far without stopping again. Just would like some opinions on whether to junk it or see if I can sell it? Which do you recommend. I live in Florida near the Villages. I really hate to junk the car as I loved the way it drove & the mileage it got but no one around here will work on the hybrids

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you say you can't lift the unit, are you talking about the inverter assembly? Maybe that isn't what you need.

There are posts about how to find out whether your cooling pump for the inverter is working ok. If it isn't, it won't be that hard to lift ... more like the size and weight of a puppy.

20. Newbyowner

Newbyowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My book said you had to remove the inverter for that also but I have no way to drain the air from the pump. I do think the pump may be the problem or was starting to go out as I could not see the water bubbling around like it was supposed to but I drove it for a while after I read that that might be a problem so when it totally stopped I assumed the inverter burned out. I am no where near a mechanic but had up until that time with clues online & following the book managed to keep it running with little problems. I most of the posts I had found either did not know or said it was the inverter so I bought another inverter (it is in my shed) but was never able to get it changed. This op is the first I found that said it could be something else. I am not sure which fuse it referred to but will try to figure it out & see if it will come back on long enough to check. Like I said I loved the Prius & would love to get it fixed but even if it is the pump I would have to have it towed to the dealership because I can't drain the air from the pump or at least not the way the book said to do it. Is there a link to an easier way? & if it is noot the pump then I should scrap it?