1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2003 Battery: why does my car keep dying?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Cara, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Cara

Cara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I do not make sure my 2003 Prius gets driven every week, it is dead within two weeks. I have come back from several trips only to call AAA because my car will not start. It used last two to three weeks. It seems to be dying in less than two weeks now and most recently, just 5 days later it was dead again. What is going on? It is time to sell this thing for parts?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very likely just a bad 12V battery. 12V batter isn’t that expensive and it will get bad with age. So if you can’t remember when it was last changed, it’s probably time to replace it.

Cara likes this.
  3. Cara

Cara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. Cara

Cara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a much better deal. The dealership here is saying $400 for the battery and $103 for labor which seems overpriced to me. They recommended I disconnect the battery before trips because the onboard computers will drain even a new battery within five days. That also seems a little off. I'm not so sure about this dealership.

6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The actual battery shouldn't cost more than around $250, and a professional shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes or so to install it. Maybe add a few minutes to make sure it's working afterwards, but it sounds like they're charging you close to double for the part and an hour's worth of labor.

Cara likes this.
  7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, way too high at the stealership. My dealer sells the Toyota battery for just over $200, not a bad price. It's more like 45 minutes for the first-time DIYer, with the need to disconnect a few boxes at the battery and a piece of vent tubing, and get it back in place correctly.

Many local shops and mobile places are trained for the Prius, and can offer a good price. My wife had to get AAA to do ours once on the road, basically free labor included with their mobile service.

8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That kit that Jimbo linked to is the easiest solution--you pay extra for the convenience so it may be worth it. It's a great it!

As far as getting it installed, it's just a basic shade tree mechanics task. Find a guy in your neighborhood and ask him or her to change your battery if you don't feel able to do it yourself. Instructions do come with the kit, tho.

If you were here, I'd be happy to show you how to change the battery and supervise while you did the swap.

#8 Brian in Tucson, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. Cara

Cara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone, I took in it to get tested at auto-zone and the battery is apparently bad. I saw the one I can order online for $200 from the post above. I have a friend who said he would put the battering in but does anyone know anywhere I can get a cheaper battery or is $200 as good as it gets?

10. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically, you could use a mower battery from Walmart, not sealed and not deep cycle but a lot cheaper. It would help if we knew what size the posts are on you current battery, they can be either about 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch. You can get the Optima D51R at Amazon for about $173, but it has the smaller posts and doesn't include the smaller connectors like the kit does.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be warned that some are recommending you sacrifice you and your passengers safety for money. Never a good deal. Buy a battery that protects your loved ones!