1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2003 with 12v not charging and door ajar show as open

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Paul Huynh, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Paul Huynh

Paul Huynh New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a Prius 2003 with 122k
    My inverter water pump making noise it running but i do not see any coolant movement. Does this mean it a bad pump and need to be replace?

My door ajar warning light stay on all the time. I have check door sensors and the trunk lid sensor they all seem to be function. Does anyone know where the wiring for the door ajar end up to the ECU maybe i can just short or by pass it? This maybe the cause of my 12V battery keep getting drain

I am just starting to getting into prius ... they are so cool but please be patient with me as i am no expert.

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Welcome aboard.

Yes, inverter pump needs replacing. do it sooner than later as it will damage the inverter which is not cheap.

As far as the door ajar sensor. We need more information, was it every in an accident? The sensor may be stuck or corrosion has caused the senor to stay on. I would take each sensor/switch out and clean with contact cleaner and look for obvious damage.

Paul Huynh likes this.
  3. Paul Huynh

Paul Huynh New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As far as I know and see the car have not been in an accident. I bought the car used with the problem just trying to fixed it and put her back on the road.

Draco is there a way to close loop let the car think all the door are close. I am not too worry about the door ajar warning light as much as it draining the 12v battery.

Any help would be very thankful by this newb

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Classic Prius inverter/transaxle coolant loop is especially difficult to purge air out of. If you hear the coolant pump motor running then it is possible that all which is required is to get air out of the system. Note there are two bleed valves in front of the inverter. Consult techinfo.toyota.com for the correct bleed procedure which involves running vinyl tubes from the bleed valves up to the reservoir opening.

Yes, that certainly is not helping the 12V battery. The quiescent resting current drain should be around 0.03A or 30 mA for Classic Prius. You might want to obtain the electrical wiring diagram for your model year at techinfo.toyota.com so you can obtain relevant schematic diagrams and determine the location of the body ECU.

Several years ago, Toyota started selling a Panasonic-brand 12V battery for Classic, which has substantially more Ah capacity (around 45 or 50 Ah IIRC) and was physically much larger, compared to the original equipment GS Yuasa battery which was rated at around 28 Ah.

5. Paul Huynh

Paul Huynh New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So i bleed the line today when i got home... and for sure the pump is bad... so i place and order for a new pump and now come the witing game for new part to come.

Still trying to work on the door ajar issues... and hint would be great

6. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Remove this and inspect the wiring and mechanism

[​IMG]

Paul Huynh likes this.
  7. Paul Huynh

Paul Huynh New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Found the issue.. at least for now... One bad door switch... and also today my horn when off on it own .... after i replace the fuse that was missing from the hood... I think the last owner was just hiding all the issues from me... test the horn relay ... and it bad so i order a new one to replace it.... I think that may also cause my 12v to be drain...... Cant waint until the relay and invert pump to come now... time to replace it all and test her out.... i cant wait to her on the road again.

8. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh great.

Hmm maybe he swapped the Bad Pump Relay and the Horn Relay awhile back. The relays are the same and some will swap them because the pump is used allot more than the Horn. But it appears POS did a cheap and dirty.

9. Paul Huynh

Paul Huynh New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    back to square one... it still not charging the 12v while i am driving around town today. I am still waiting on new relay to be ship in. Do you think a bad relay would cause the 12v not to be charge? I already swap the hybrid inverter from another used one on ebay. I will have to take their word it was working when remove from their part out car.

1) Hybrid inverter is replace (done)
    2) Inverter Pump is replace and working good now (done)
    3) Waiting on a patch of relay to swap out (soon to be done)

I drove around for a good 20 mins today and no fault code yet

10. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh my,

How do you know it is not charging the 12v? I assume you mean by "it" as the HV Battery? I am trying to understand how you managed to observe this event without a Mini-VCI with TIS or a diagnostic tool telling you HV Battery is not charging the 12v Battery.

Please clarify.

Inverter Swap, I did not know that was an issue. Okay. STOP replacing parts unless you verify the component is the culprit, you are completely wasting time and money.

Pump, good, we knew that failed.

Patch of Relay, I am not sure what that means. sowwy.

If I were you, I would pull the 12v battery and have it checked out at an auto parts store to insure it is holding a charge,load test it and that the cell/s are not damaged. When/if you put it back in, make absolutely sure you put it back properly. + to positive and - to negative, in that order.

Just trying to help :)

#10 DRACO, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016