1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2005 battery life and warranty in AZ

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Shailaj, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Shailaj

Shailaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of buying Prius 2005 with 107K. The only concern is its battery life. Wondering if this still runs few more thousand miles? and also wanted to know about battry warranty in AZ since I was told the warranty varies state to state. I learnt that warranty is either for 8 years/10,000 miles or 10/ years/150,000 miles. I need to know this ASAP. Need Help!!!!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 10 years/150K miles is for the CARB states. The 8 years/100K miles is for the other states.

Is AZ a CARB state? If not, your warranty is 8 years/100K miles.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bad news is that all warranties have expired for an AZ car of that odometer reading.

The good news is that there are a number of alternatives when the traction battery dies. You can buy a salvage battery for several hundred $s, you can buy a "reman" battery for around $1,300, or you can buy a new battery for around $2,200. (Plus labor, in all cases.)

I'd be more concerned about the transaxle failing, since the parts and labor cost associated with that replacement is much higher.

4. Shailaj

Shailaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Guys! Now I understand that AZ doesn't have more than 100k miles warranty. How about extending the warranty. Since I am buying this from private party can i still extend the battery warranty?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. Toyota's extended warranty option expires at 100K miles and you would have had to buy that coverage prior to 3 years / 36K miles from first sale.

6. Scdebaun

Scdebaun New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is a CARB state and is California one? :confused:

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    California, with its Air Resources Board, is the original CARB state.

Partial zero-emissions vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See the list of states in the cited document that have implemented California's PZEV standards. Residents of those states can potentially benefit from the Prius 150K mile hybrid system warranty, first implemented in the 2004 model year.

In order for a vehicle to qualify for the warranty, the state must have implemented PZEV standards prior to the sale of the vehicle in question. The vehicle must have been first sold and registered in that state.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    At 118,000 miles on our 2004, I can say the battery doesn't "feel" like it has a much overall capacity as it used to. That being said, I feel it still have some "life" left it in before we'll be replacing it. I would argue that the AZ heat probably does have some impact on overall longevity, but don't have anything substantial to back that up until we open the pocket-book ;)

Toyota "claims" the battery is designed to last 150,000 miles (or the average life of the car).