1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2005 weird issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Strahinja Trecakov, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Strahinja Trecakov

Strahinja Trecakov New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last weekend was returning from Colorado to NM, and my maintenance required light went on. I have stopped at the first AutoZone to read whats going on. The little computer reported C1241 Low battery positive voltage or abnormally high battery positive voltage. Since I have not had any issues with the 12V battery, I just drove back. Once I got home, I have took the 12V battery off, tested it at Autozone and since they were saying its bad, I replaced it.
    Once replaced I hoped that required maintenance light will go off, however it did not. So I went back and they plugged the computer and it was again C1241. I told them that i just replaced a battery, so they took another instrument and ran it on the battery while connected. They told me that battery looks good, but its the starter. This made me think, that their tools might not suite hybrid cars, so I came home and started "troubleshooting".

I have checked all ABS relays, and they are all working properly. Then I check the LAN codes. The ones that I was able to decode are for radio/display related. The car runs good, and no i have not noticed any issues. Here is a list of codes.

EMV
    01-D5 190-2A-9
    01-D9 190-14-1
    01-DC 190-6E-F
    01-DC 1C6-B1-F
    01-DC 440-FE-3
    01-DC -B4-1

DSP-AMP
    01-D6 -14-3
    01-DD 110-C5-7
    01-DD 190-AC-6
    01-EO 110-9c-2
    01-E3 -57-F

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Longinus876 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you sure it’s the maintenance required? That’s just the 5k service reminder

3. Strahinja Trecakov

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I thought about that. But when its 5K service, it usually starts blinking when you start the car and then when you are close to 200M from 5K it becomes solid.
    I just read how to clear LAN codes(hold the button until it clears) and none of the codes came back. So I think I might be fine.
    Will restart the 5K reminder and see if it comes back.

bisco likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, the "LAN" codes from the touchscreen display are only for diagnosing the infotainment system.

C1241 is a code set by the brake control (ABS) computer- ecu. It basically says the ecu didn't like the voltage level it "saw" at one of its power inputs. Could be anything from the ecu connector terminal through relays, fuses, wiring, etc, back to the 12V battery.

This code has a "sub" code (or INF) in addition to the C1241, that can give more details about the fault. You can read the sticky thread at the top of this forum that reviews several scantool apps and devices.

As mentioned, the "maintenance required" light is strictly a periodic reminder to do routine service (ie, oil change and so on). An "active" ABS fault should turn on a bunch of other warning lights.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Strahinja Trecakov

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! There was no sub code for C1241. This is all the report that I got from autozone. If that is the case, then Ill replace the oil that is due in 500M and keep driving.
    upload_2023-3-1_12-15-7.png

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, it really means that autozone doesn't have a capable scantool that can read sub codes.

Anyway, if the only light on the dash is the maintenance reminder, then due the service soon and keep driving.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Strahinja Trecakov and bisco like this.