1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006, bank 9 failure and ready for repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Peterhans, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reviewing many posts and videos, I learned how to repair the hybrid battery pack. I ordered two tested and refurbished modules on eBay. The modules on Amazon did not exist or was junk. Surprisingly, could not find a hybrid battery supply house. Dealer wants 3500 Euros that includes 1000 Euros for labor. Not trustworthy. Anyway, the parts arrived, tested both modules at 7.39 vdc. Created a procedure to include bolt and nut size with torque settings. The first phase is the disassembly to the point where the hybrid battery can be moved to the work bench.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on getting started... Feel free to ask questions and make sure to provide regular updates so others can learn from you.

Peterhans and ydpplqbd like this.
  3. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

I inspected the refurbished modules and did not notice any specific part numbers. Also, there was mostly japanese writing on the modules.

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Possible to take a photo, any QR code.

Peterhans likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look closer, there's a serial number printed on every module and the first half dozen of those characters will tell you the year and month of manufacture once you translate it. It's how we determine if a pack is original or rebuilt.

Peterhans likes this.
  6. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good idea

7. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are the pictures of the purchased modules. The modules were shipped from the UK to Germany. The packaging could have been better than just loose modules.

Attached Files:

8. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Somehow, the 14mm bolts to the rear seats were super torqued. Required extra muscles. This is to move the rear seats slightly forward to allow access to the hybrid battery bolts.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually that's a sign that pack has been worked on before and mechanic used too powerful of an impact driver on those bolts...

Peterhans likes this.
  10. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is what I guessed. Thank goodness for my neighbor and even 30 NM did not work.

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One time I hooked a friend up with an 06 Prius that was dead and we got it for $600 and only problem was dead 12v. Then when I was prepping the vehicle I got real excited that those bolts were so tight. Once I got the pack serial numbers it turned out to be a brand new pack built in 2012. That was a great day...

Peterhans likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're interested, in the image 20220127_095614287.jpg, the top module with the serial number 124OGP03834XB4 was manufactured on 12 April 2013. the bottom one with the serial number 059NMG08681AB2 was manufactured on 5 September 2012.

Peterhans likes this.
  13. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I new that the modules are used and both measured 7.4v. I with help, disassembled the hybrid battery. Then moved the hybrid battery to the work bench. After disassembly, cover off, I measured the vdc on all modules. All modules measured 8.02 vdc or so. One bank 9 module measured 6.7vdc. I replaced the low vdc module with one of the refurbished modules. After assembly, measured the vdc from module 1 to module 28 +. I saw 0vdc. Discovered that the modules are split. Next is prius start test and final assembly. Anyone ran a test and measured from module 1 - to 28 + ?. For marking, I used 1a, 1b, ...to 14a and 14b. The failed module was 9b.

Also, took bus bars and nuts, placed in vinegar and salt solution. Surprisingly, not as shiny as shown on videos. Maybe something else is missing or requires longer time in the solution. Did not heat the solution.

Is the low voltage module now junk? Seems difficult to tear apart as the module is fully sealed.

14. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I notice is that whatever coating that Japanese manufacturers use to prevent corrosion on their bolts, it requires 3 or 4 times the torque to break it loose than what it was tightened to. If a bolt was tightened to 25 Nm, then you might need 75 to 100 Nm (or more) to get it to move at all- then it spins out with your fingers

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Peterhans likes this.
  15. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem was solved with a 1/2 inch drive and a muscle guy.

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The busbars and nuts will never get shiny just from soaking in a solution. If anything, the bus bars will become a dull copper color and the nuts may get blackish colored. If you want them to be shiny, you'll need to hit them with a wire brush.

Yes, the low voltage module is junk and should just be sent to recycling.

Peterhans likes this.
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should charge up the module you are using as a replacement up to the same voltage to match all the others. If you can leave the module for a week then do that and then after the week, check the voltage again (as well as your other 27 modules). If they are all about the same voltage +/- 0.2 V, then all is good. If the replacement module is a lot lower, then it is not a good candidate for a replacement.

Keep us posted.

#17 dolj, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Peterhans likes this.
  18. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am hoping that the replacement module will get charged by driving the vehicle. I do not know the spec for the 7.2v module but 7.4 is greater than 7.2v. Also, from another video, this is what was done. The next step is a basic test to see if the car will start. Also was initially fooled by checking the battery voltage of 200v. When the safety interlock is removed, then the circuit is not complete. Recording and updating the steps to the procedure.

19. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lesson learned. I should have disconnected the ground terminal from the 12v battery. Car would not start and the 12v battery measured 5v.

20. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ģot a super booster and this helped start the car. Surprisingly, all errors on the dashboard are cleared. For the vent tube, used some Vaseline to help with the installation. After almost everything was completed especially the hybrid battery, we did a test drive to charge up and balance the modules. Will do a final cleanup, update the procedure, and check the apps for final health check, etc.