1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006, bank 9 failure and ready for repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Peterhans, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ran a test on the autobahn and reached speeds of 160 km/hr. No error codes resurfaced. The only problem was shutting the hatchback door on a weak battery and required another boost.

nancytheprius likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get that 12v charged up/replaced asap... I always say the first step to fixing a hybrid pack is making sure 12v is healthy because lots of anomalies occur with hybrid pack work occur when it's not.

alftoy and Peterhans like this.
  3. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found the magic menu and the 12v was fine. Leaving the hatchback open slowly drained the 12v battery. Thanks for the information.

4. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the final cleanup and check my work with the bank 9 failure. Everything looks good, cleared codes, P3000 and all clear. I was amazed that the dashboard was all clear after battery pack installed and quick test. All banks are performing together using hybrid assistant to evaluate the work. Next, update the procedure with bolt size and torque. Cleaning the bus bars with vinegar and table salt was not productive.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a quick update. Everything is back in its place and super. The secret menu was a help where the 12v can be checked. Using Hybrid Assistant, checked the data and image of the 14 blocks. All 14 blocks are functioning together like teamwork. Beforehand, one bank did not cooperate. This was discovered using Hybrid Assistant. Another app that has much data is Car Scanner. This app has much data and was easy to work with. Still updating the procedure and I am sure can help someone. Will do a summary soon.

alftoy likes this.
  6. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is a final summary that caused a bank 9 failure. Encountered the red triangle with check engine light. This became a shock and not knowing what to expect. Took the car to a shop and charged me 23 Euros to get two codes: P3000, P0A80. The result from the shop is unknown error. Got an OBD2 adapter and performed much research including finding apps that will work with the adapter. After much consideration such as repair price and whether to perform the repair, I found an excellent training video of which I created a procedure. Surprisingly and to my neighbors, they became interested in the challenge and the procedure worked well. Of course, made corrections along the way such as mm size. Of course, there is a two-man rule because of the weight of the battery pack. Also, measured VDC and found the module that required replacing. Checked the work using both apps, drove on the autobahn to help balance the load and charge the battery, and cleared any open codes such as P3000. The uploaded files are the procedure and a Toyota document. Good luck and hopefully useful. My main decision for going this route is Toyota charges 2500 Euros for the battery and 1000 Euros for labor. My standard mechanic has great anxiety working on hybrid battery. The shop where I got the codes was uncertain what the problem is or where to go next. There seems to be a common P3000 hybrid battery problem and uncertain of the repair.

Attached Files:

alftoy likes this.
  7. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope that the procedure with other docs will help others to make a decision. Next, will be reviewing obd2 connections or other reliable obd2 with a good app. There is much to learn.

8. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybrid battery voltages and it is amazing how so little of vdc can cause a problem and headache. In this case 1.2Vdc was a problem. From what I read, the inner banks would fail first and in this case, module 9b was the problem. See the uploaded file and vdc data. Hope this helps.

Attached Files: