1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006 - engine light on with error code P0A80

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sunshinenext, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Sunshinenext

Sunshinenext New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi Everyone,

My Prius 2006 is recently started showing check engine and red triangle lights on. Intermediate it also shows brake system warning light on. When checked for the error code at Toyota dealer I was told error code is p0a80 with detailed code as p3000-123. I am also noticing traction issues sometime when I try to stop/reduce speed.

Dealer told it needs hybrid battery replacement which will cost around $3500. Not sure if dealer inspected the battery manually with any voltage/current measurement.
    Before going for battery replacement which is going to cost very high I wanted make sure it is really battery issue and nothing else.
    So, I trying to get answers for following points,
    1) Is traction issue and hybrid battery failing (as per error code) is related?
    2) On web I read about some references to traction battery. Is traction battery and hybrid battery same?
    3) Does cost estimate of $3500 is realistic? Is there any other cost effective option? I read/experienced dealers are most costly option for repairing and maintenance . I find it hard to make decision whether it is worth to put this much amount for 13/14 years old car?

Appreciate in advance for any suggestions/inputs. Thanks!.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

shop dealers for the best price, it's competitive,

look around for hybrid shops that can install a battery, they might be a lot less expensive.

a member in chicago just got one at his dealer for $2,150.

there are companies that install 'refurbished' batteries, but beware, there are a lot of scams out there.

how many miles on her?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least you got the location right this time:p.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i only need to be hit upside the head once, in most circumstances. there are too many kens here :cool:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not enough Ray's(y).

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or bisco's :cautious:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Whatever happened to your alter ego: @brisco :whistle:?

bisco likes this.
  8. Sunshinenext

Sunshinenext New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your reply Bisco. Miles are 132000.

bisco likes this.
  9. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The P3000-123 is actually a code that refers to an abnormal signal from the HV battery ECU. (FYI, HV battery or Hybrid battery and Traction Battery are synonymous.) That does not necessarily mean the ECU is at fault, it may still be the HV battery that needs attention, but there should be other codes that more specifically identify modules that are failing. If you have a brake system warning light on your dash, there should be separate codes for that, as well. Did the dealer read the codes for you or did you simply ask the dealer what the P3000-123 meant? If you read that code with your own device, it may not be fully compatible with the Prius hybrid system. You need to get all the codes that are being reported, either by paying the dealer to do it for you or by using Techstream and a Mini VCI cable.

When you say you are having a traction issue when you reduce speed, do you mean that you occasionally notice a momentary loss of traction when braking, especially when traveling over a rough surface, which may be accompanied by a flashing Slip Indicator Light? If so, that is a known characteristic of the Prius' braking system, and is not generally anything to worry about. If the light comes on at other times or stays on, that would indicate there may be a problem with your braking system (usually an expensive fix) or it may be related to the speed sensor at one of the wheels, but you need to have the codes read to know for sure.

As @bisco noted, $3,500 for a new installed traction battery is probably on the high side, you should be able to do better by asking other dealers for their quotes, but if it turns out you also need a new brake actuator, as indicated by the brake system warning light, you may want to rethink repairing the car at all.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes. When the traction battery has failed the braking system is also impaired and you will see the VSC and BRAKE warning lights on. P0A80 is evidence that the traction battery has failed.
    2. Yes. The traction battery is the high voltage hybrid battery.
    3. Call other Toyota dealers in the area. In the Los Angeles area my daughter just paid $3K (incl sales tax) to have the traction battery replaced on her 2007 Prius.

Do not be tempted by the choice of "remanufactured" batteries which are the result of collecting a bunch of used battery modules. You'll be lucky to get 6 months to a year of service from that option. As to whether it is worth spending $3.5K (perhaps lower if you call around and/or negotiate with the current dealer) on your Prius, you need to consider whether the car is in basically great condition or not, apart from the battery failure. Good luck with your decision.

Raytheeagle and davecook89t like this.
  11. Sunshinenext

Sunshinenext New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Davecook89t for your reply. Toyota dealer read the code when asked so. This was all he got with his tool.
    I am seeing traction issue sometime without skid light on.

12. Sunshinenext

Sunshinenext New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you Patrick. This will help. I will check with same or other dealer for better price.