1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006 - new owner - what to check/service?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terki, Jun 7, 2017.

1. terki

terki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Dears,

I'm a fresh-baked owner of late 2006 Prius. I've bought it from a Berlin based person and it was mainly used for short in-city trips.
    The mileage is quite low at 81000 km. The car looks like new, all systems are running fine, steering, brakes and suspension is also fine.
    I have only noticed occasional mild vibrations when I'm stopping the car [consumption bar goes to the top for 2-3 seconds and then you can feel vibrations until ICE goes out]. I have read on this forum that this is normal... not sure about that but right now severity is too low for me to act upon it.

The previous owner was maintaining the car in dealership, no repairs, I can see that at some point service tech. warned the owner about 12V battery [I need to check that].
    Question: what kind of service or checks would you advise me to perform after my purchase? I mean apart from usual consumables like filters oil etc...

Thank you very much for your time and sorry for this newbie question.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

we like to start with a tranny fluid replacement. an 11 year old prius with low km may be the perfect candidate for the pro long charger, something to consider to extend battery life.
    other than that, just follow your maintenance book.
    all the best!(y)

3. terki

terki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if there is any video showing this charger in action? Shall I get one with reconditioning option? Thanks!

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the water pump belt no matter how u think it looks. Don't check the 12 volt battery replace it. Who knows how long the car sat and the previous owners supposed usage will pretty much ruin it anyway.
    Hundreds of posts on this forum of jump starts gone wrong costing owners hundred of dollars in repair.
    Always keep the engine oil at the full line, check it first thing in the am before starting the car that will give u true Oil level.

5. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    As a 06 owner for last 2+ years... with 200K mileages on Prius

- Replace HV Battery with rebuilt from recommended mobile replacement place on this forum
    - New Optoma Yellowtop 12V battery from Ebay (self replacement)
    - Front Driver side Headlight assembly from Ebay
    - Front Passenger side HID bulb from Ebay (Phillips OEM)
    - Oil Valve to address a code from Ebay (easy to replace)
    - New tires (Sams Club)
    - New KYB shocks/struts (front replaced and back planning to do self replacement)
    - Wheel Alignment (next one after I replace back struts)
    - Driver seat padding ($20 from dealer)
    - LED bulb set from AutoZone for parking light
    - Oil changes
    - AC recharge (hybrid n11 oil + PSI monitoring adapter) Ebay

All combined I am at $3K in expenses - (2.5K hail damage refund). Most of all costs are unavoidable due to age and mileage on Prius. Now I don't have choice but to run it until wheels fall off. I have it where I like to ride and comfort for long trips except for road noise on some roads surfaces and crosswinds.