1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2007 halts while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kadir, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Kadir

Kadir New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius (2nd Gen) which has 220k kilometers (140k miles).

While I was driving in the motorway last week, it started not working properly. Firstly, the car gave "triangle of death" and engine icon as error indicators and then engine was shut down. I pulled the car to the side of the road and waited for some time and engine worked again. But ,it obviously lost the power. I barely came to home which was 3 kilometers (2 miles) away.

I read the error codes with my OBD scanner which shows C0302 and C0F0A codes.

To fix the problem firstly I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor (using a MAF sensor cleaner) as I thouhgt it was about engine not receiving appropriate oxygen feedback from the MAF sensor. Replacing and clearing the codes at first solved the problem but when I drove 10 kilometers (6 miles), engine shut down again. I waited for some time and started the car and barely come to my home.

Then I checked 12v battery in Prius' menu and saw that it has 11.5v which is low and the battery was 5 years old. So bought a new battery and replaced it with the old one. Again, cleared the error codes but after driving the car 5 kilometers (3 miles), same things happenned: engine shut down and waited for some time, engine works but has low power, barely want home.

After shutting down the engine and turning it on, there was another problem. When I press the gas pedaal, engine was not working all the time. I don't know the appropriate word for it, but engine was hesitating to go.

I checked inverter pump by checking the inverter water tank. The water there was moving so inverter pump is not the issue probably. Also, inverter pipes were vibrating.

What are your views in such a situations everyone?

Please let me know if I need to make more explanation.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a poor obd code reader for a hybrid.

With engine failures the car will be very unhappy and throwing many codes all labeled P as in power, The codes you listed are useless. The car will tell you exactly why it’s unhappy just need the right tool to harvest the codes. The inverter pump is my first guess but you say it has good circulation. sounds like it’s not getting fuel.
    You must get the codes read you need a hybrid capable code reader anything else is just a guess and waste of time.

where do locals get a Prius serviced go there and get codes read and listed in writing post them here then we can help you from there.
    There will be many.

Haveyou ever run out of fuel in this car?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "C" codes are chassis codes. Anything powertrain will be a "P" code. As mentioned, your code reader is not speaking Prius. Step 1 should be getting an accurate diagnosis, because until then it's just "his/her/your/my experience" guessing.

I'll be the first to admit, your symptoms initially made me think inverter cooling water pump. I've replaced a couple that were intermittent. Just because it has flow now, doesn't mean it has flow every time. Keep that in mind. Maybe you could get an app like hybrid assistant that will display inverter temp so you can monitor it when needed.

An engine needs fuel, fire and air. Perhaps one of them is missing.

It never hurts to make sure you're gassed up and the air path is clear.

My second "guess", because I have a couple of them in the shop, would be to swap out the throttle body.

4. Kadir

Kadir New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never run out of fuel but I dont know about the previous owner. I am using this car for more than 3 years now.

I have a bluetooth obd reader called "viecar" which I bought from Aliexpress like 2 years ago. But your comment gave me an idea and I installed maybe all obd reading apps and read the errors again. There were more codes waiting for me. This is the copy-paste of the report:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
    DTC report
    Selected brand: Toyota

============1==============
    P3013
    Raw code: 3013
    ECU: 7EB
    Toyota: High Voltage Battery Module 3 Fault; Battery block 3 malfunction

============2==============
    P3000
    Raw code: 3000
    ECU: 7EA
    Toyota: High Voltage Battery Fault; HV Battery Malfunction

============3==============
    P3000
    Raw code: 3000
    ECU: Hybrid engine system
    Toyota: High Voltage Battery Fault; HV Battery Malfunction

============4==============
    C1641
    Raw code: 5641
    ECU: Self-parking system

============5==============
    C1643
    Raw code: 5643

============6==============
    C1644
    Raw code: 5644

===========================

But now I do not get it. It shows that I have an error with the hybrid battery and self-parking system, why does this shut the engine down while driving and making it hesitant to drive? Or are these codes not telling the whole story again? Then of course I will go to a repair shop to read them with a pro scanner.

Now it is giving all the error lights in the dashboard as seen in the photo attached.

Attached Files:

5. Kadir

Kadir New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Actually the engine is working intermittently. Then could it be an intermittently wortking inverter pump? But does the engine immediately give the error and work intermittently as soon as the car starts as this happenned tonight while I had a test drive is inverter pump does not work properly?

By the way I also squeezed the invertor pump's hose connecting to coolant tank and it stopped the movement in the tank. But yes, it might be that it is stopping working while driving or not working efficiently enough.

As I also replied to edthefox5 comment, I will find a more capable obd reader and read the codes again if above codes are useless too.

how can I test this? I opened the air box while cleaning the MAF sensor. Do you mean checking around it?

This is also a good alternative for the cause of this problem.