1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2007 Smoke in Cooling Inventor wire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bobtale, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Bobtale

Bobtale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just had the Cooling Inventor replaced and for two weeks it was working perfectly. Yesterday while driving, the engine completely shut down. Had to tow the vehicle home. After investigation, found that AM2 Fuse was damaged. Today had it replaced, but immediately smoke came from Cooling inventor cable going from inventor to fuse box, and another AM2 fuse damaged. It looks like the wire is damaged. I would like some inside info. as how to replace the wire, and if it is the wire and nothing else. I am not getting any codes at this point, and the engine turns on normally. But Coolant system is not functioning since I have unplugged it. Any Idea how to manage this? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Bobtale, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you see the actual wire that's damaged? If you can't see damaged wire, chances are, you may just have a bad pump that has shorted. If you didn't get the replacement pump at the dealer, you may have an inferior part. And if you did get it at the dealer, that failed part will be under warranty

strawbrad, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Bobtale

Bobtale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JC91006, Thank you for your reply. I smell and see smoke coming from the wires going into the fuse box. Then the fuse burns out immediately.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is what happens with a shorted inverter pump, it does not mean the wires are bad. If you don't see bad wiring, then you just have to change the pump to an OEM pump from the dealer

5. Bobtale

Bobtale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent point. I ordered the OEM part, will replace and and update the result. Thank you so much.

bisco likes this.
  6. Bobtale

Bobtale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @JC91006 Your suggestion worked perfectly. Replaced the inverter pump with an OEM and vehicle is back to normal condition. Thank you so much for your expert advise.

JC91006 likes this.