1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius : 2008/120k/$4.5k or 2014/70k/$12.3k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mayank Jain, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    SECTION 1
    Some context about my needs
    1. My family : Me, my Wife & our 4 year old Son
    2. Driving is not my hobby. I don't like driving to office (prefer taking the office shuttle everyday). The car comes out of garage on weekends for local errands.
    3. A car for me is A=>B instrument. It needs to seat my family & should not be shabby (torn, smelly, etc).
    4. My expected miles per month : 500 miles/mo (80% of the time) (50% split between highway and city)
      1. Yearly expected mileage : <10k/yr
    5. Luggage space is important
    6. Mileage is important as I want to keep overall cost of ownership low
    7. Total budget : 8k-12k (12 is max) before taxes.
    8. I am not an auto geek (first time car owner). So I am not very comfortable in DIY stuff.
    9. I am new to US
      1. Living in Cupertino, CA
      2. No credit score
      3. Got Driving permit (not got the license yet)
      4. I bank with a reputable credit union in Cupertino : and have a pre-approved loan at 3.24% APR

NOTE
    Since I am in California, the hybrid warranty is 10 years / 150k miles

SECTION 2
    I have 2 active deals which I like
    1. 2008 Prius with 120k mileage at $4k-4.5k, very clean carfax, 1 owner, regular servicing at every 5k miles - being sold by a colleague (I don't know him personally)
      1. Has no warranty
      2. But since I don't need to drive much, do I really need to worry about it?
    2. 2014 Prius with 70k mileage at $12.5k, very clean carfax, very clean carfax, 1 owner, regular servicing at every 5k miles - being sold by a dealer
      1. Is well covered under warranty
      2. Expensive for my needs

Which one should I buy? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy the 2008 and put aside $2500 for a new battery when needed. That'll bring your total cost to under $7000 and the car should last you several years if you drive less than 10k a year

JimboPalmer, Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Grit and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd vote for the 08.

Prius in general is reliable. In this scenario you would save plenty since up front cost is minimal and you would get a reliable and spacious car.

I'm sure your colleague would let you take to a mechanic to give the final approval and worth it.

At 120k. Ask if brakes have been changed, serpentine belt replaced, spark plugs, etc but of course mechanic would check this.

California has many prius so there is plenty of good resources if needed.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    6,000 miles a year? buy a gasser.

6. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes : Both cars are bought in CA & have remained in CA. Confirmed through carfax.

7. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would like to be fuel efficient and be able to resell the car in 3-4 years.

8. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the guidance, I hear you. I am also inclining to this option as the additional 8k saved can go towards cars maintenance & even adding a few after-market changes like a backing up camera.

If the car was recently serviced and the owner is willing to show me those records - do I need the mechanic visit? Wouldn't his servicing inspection found any potential problems?

Thanks a ton!

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2008 should have a backup camera.....unless it's the base model, which won't have the backup camera or SKS keyless functions.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood, just beware of the many expensive pitfalls of a used hybrid. all the best!(y)

11. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Details from today...

2008 was too shabby to buy at 4.5k and needed lot of repairs. I offered 3k, seller declined, no deal.

2014 model was well maintained but the dealer did not want to negotiate even a dollar. Also, first they lost the key, then found it, then the car wont start, they jump started it. Eventually, i walked away.

I'll keep hunting.

Thank you everyone for the help.
    PC forum rocks!

RMB, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $3000 for a 2008 with 120k is pretty low. What was wrong with it?

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Above are compelling reason to agree with Bisco; buy a gasser.
    Sure you'll save money in gas if going with a prius, but only if you keep it in the long run, but you plan to you'll sell it in couple of years. Savings on gas won't kick in until many years later. The hybrid battery loves to be charged, ideally on an everyday basis. Driving only on weekends then you'll have to buy a trickle charger for the 12v battery. Buy a beater for $2,000 and move up on cars later, in my opinion ;);)

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if you could find a plug in prius (1st gen, not a prime) for about 10K. I’d look at those too, you could probably plug in to help with your short trips and still get good mileage on the longer ones. I’d think there would be more available in CA too.

RMB likes this.
  15. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Comes down to what you are comfortable spending. Obviously the 2014 is going to be more modern and all around nicer. But it comes at a cost of $8000 more than the older 4k prius.

Based on your driving I predict you will have 0 issues with the older prius for 4k. Let's put it like this: a year ago I bought a 2008 Prius with 140K miles and then sold it at 190k miles with zero issues ever.

Then around 6 months or so ago I bought a different 2008 Prius with 145K miles and I currently have 167K miles on it. So I did 22,000 miles in the last 6 months with zero issues.

Go with the 2008. I drive at least 50K miles a year and I have yet to run into a major problem. It's getting to the point that I hope for a hybrid battery failure one day LOL. Gets boring never having to fix your car!

Mayank Jain likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got directed to this thread from the other thread of the OP's.

Hey, I'm a Prius enthusiast and supporter. But given these parameters I think I have to agree with Bisco, why buy a Prius? The GREAT advantage of a Hybrid is efficiency and gas mileage, but with so few projected miles? You just won't get enough to really justify the investment.

And maybe more importantly, I always felt like The Prius, as a Hybrid was better as a daily driver. I want to be charging and discharging that Hybrid battery daily.
    A Prius that ONLY comes out of the garage on weekends and for (short trip) local errands? Seems counter to what the machine is actually optimally designed to do and how it should best be used. What I liked about the Prius? It was a machine designed to be driven. Loved long road trips, loved the savings I got, using it everyday.

If all you want is weekend and errand transportation, with room for a family of 3 and luggage? At least considering some Non-Hybrid options I think would make sense. Especially when it seems your over all driving mileage per year is so low.

If you really want to get a Prius? To have a Prius? That' great too....you will still get Hybrid efficiency. I never tell someone simply sold on getting a Prius....absolutely do NOT get one. Wanting one is enough. BUT...
    But if you are talking short trips....only on weekends, I'm afraid your follow up posting might be about how you are disappointed you aren't getting that 50 mpg average.
    Short errand trips? You won't.

You might at least look at other vehicles that would meet your parameters without having Hybrid Synergy Drive.

17. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've finally bought a 2012 PiP, advanced, 100k miles, $12,700 out of door price.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congratulations! please keep us posted on your experiences, all the best!(y)

Mayank Jain likes this.
  19. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well done! I hope you enjoy it

Mayank Jain likes this.
  20. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle: