1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2008 Aftermarket Stereo Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Artis, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Artis

Artis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm considering swapping out the OEM stereo head for a new unit on my Prius. This would be done on my 2008 Prius with JBL amp and no NAV. The motivation is add blue tooth audio and an integrated USB capability. The unit I'm considering is a Pioneer AVH X5600BHS with PAC TATO JBL amp interface and PAC SWI-RC steering wheel interface. An appropriate installation kit with 68 ohm resistor and perhaps a parking brake emulator (at 58, I have learned not to watch TV while driving so I don't need that bit of wisdom from the unit).

With that bit of background, I would appreciate any advice or comments relative to the following. These are items where I've not found a great deal of info in the other similar installs I've researched up till now. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone might offer.

1. I would like to retain the back-up video when in reverse on the MFD. I do not need to move the video to the new head unit and hopefully this would eliminate the need for 12v - 6v conversion with fuse introduction and plug adapter. Is this possible and if so, how?

2. I think I'm stuck with having to abandon the OEM hands free calling feature in favor of the new units capability. Else I'll be stuck with blue tooth conflicts. Does the PAC SWI-RC SW interface accommodate the steering wheel controls for bringing up the "Contacts" menu" and call termination button? If not, does another SW interface controller perform that function better?

3. Does the MFD retain its function aside from the audio controls post aftermarket head end install? By this I mean the fuel consumption, batt versus gas status graphics etc.

4. While I've done this type of work on an F-250 (my Prius backup) and Toyota 4R, I've not tackled it on a vehicle where so much functionality is tied into a device like the MFD. Given this, does anyone have other pitfalls that I should watch for? For example, running the remote Blue Tooth mic wire is something I hate doing due to the column air bags. I'm always wary I'll catch one of those in the teeth while doing the work. A means to use the existing mic would be very cool.

My apologies for the long post and endless questions. However I do appreciate any advice which might reduce the surprise factor associated with the install.

On a side note, I've owned the 2008 Prius since new. Its about to turn over 100K. It faithfully does its job which is to take miles off my beloved but diesel swilling F250. The stereo upgrade is intended to introduce a bit newer technology for the next 100K.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    1 replacing the head unit shouldn't affect the back up camera
    2 I don't know abou the pac interface but the metra axxess did allow all the steering wheel buttons to work with the new head unit in my non jbl '04
    3 the mfd was the same except it would say audio off if I hit the audio button on the mfd. everything else worked fine.
    4 if you can solder and read a wiring diagram, I'd bet you could use the existing mic.
    good luck with the improved stereo install.

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :coffee:

I got no advice or expertise to offer, but I look forward to hearing about your progress in this thread. Something I'm considering as well.

Cheers.