1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2008 alarm going off randomly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dana Hartshorn, Jun 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dana Hartshorn

Dana Hartshorn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Is there a way to disable the alarm on the Prius permanently? It goes off for seemingly no reason and my neighbors are getting really frustrated. The car is parked quite far from the house so I cannot hear it go off. I would love to just completely disable the alarm to avoid further issue.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it use the car horn?

3. AceDeuceCoupe

AceDeuceCoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I have similar in 2007 and it's the HORN that is so problematic to neighbors.
    Over the many years, I have gotten SO many great info assistances here, but it's remarkable how through many threads I've read on this, that there is not someone, somewhere, that knows just how to DISABLE the alarm. Not DEBUG it, but just turn it off. Significant numbers of owners have said they have no need of the alarm, and once it happened to me, I tend to agree.

I tend to think that the pulling of the HORN fuse might be most appropriate.
    Since 2007 I've never used the horn once so if it's choice between losing that and pissing off dozens of neighbors......

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose it might be in the service manual

5. AceDeuceCoupe

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ..... And yet no one ever posted how to do it or for those that HAVE said Service Manual to maybe look it up for those of us that have not!??

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is odd, i don't recall ever seeing a solution to this problem. all the threads seem open ended.

7. AceDeuceCoupe

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, Bisco, same thing I noticed......open threads, never a solution......That's kinda why I jumped in.
    But of course Gen 2 are now WAY out there on the lifespan curve, so maybe not many of the old timers still check.

bisco likes this.