1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2008 gas door not closing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Allia, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Allia

Allia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    so a while ago (several months) i let my boyfriend use my prius 08 touring (salvage title, rear ended, i dont know if that matters) and while putting gas for some reason the gas door stopped closing so now i drive it around with the gas door open. I put duct tape to close it and it kind of ruined the paint in that area. I went to the toyota dealer and the receptionist guy said that it would probably cost a lot to fix because they it's most likely the cable that connects the closing mechanism thing fell somewhere in the back end of the car and they would have to take the whole back part of and it would cost a lot to fix (a mechanic didnt say this just the dealership receptionist guy so im not sure if he's right or wrong). I couldnt find any post about this on google so any insight on this problem for me would help.

Anyway my questions are:
    Is there some kind of video or repair guide i can watch to see what the problem is and how much it would cost to fix?
    And is it worth fixing or should i just leave it as a cosmetic defect?
    Another concern, it's been very rainy where i live, could that damage my car with the gas door open and all?

Thanks and sorry for the bad grammar

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the rain won't hurt any thing. i would start by examining the locking mechanism. have someone pull the handle while you study the catch at the door. there is a part on the body that should slide in and out as they pull and release the handle or button, i forget if the '08 is mechanical or electric. if it's not sliding, it might just need lube. or it is possible that the cable became detached.

Danny3xd likes this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you push the door closed does it go in all the way (to position that it would normally stay)?
    What does the gas door release leaver feel?
    Loose and doesn’t even really go down by itself?

Your second picture doesn’t show area under the gas door rear the gas cap. There should be a pin that locks the door shut.

If the pin doesn’t stick out try to push the pin in a bit. If it then jumps out, test that the pin goes in when you pull the release leaver. If it does then use some oil on it and it’s fixed.

If the pin sticks out, test that it goes in when you pull the release leaver. If it doesn’t go in when pulling the leaver then there’s something broken which needs to be replaced.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe try a little silicone spray. Very sparingly, just trickle a drop into the mechanism, try to avoid overspray onto paint because it makes repainting difficult. Silicone lube is very clean, not sticky, attracting grit.

5. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gas doors on these cars must have a high failure rate or I am just lucky enough to own 2 out of 2 Prii that have this problem. It could be a regional issue as well as I am dealing with long winters and many sub-zero nights, road salt, sand, etc, etc...

Not sure if this will help you but the problem with both gas doors in my case seemed to lie in the "hinge" mechanism which over time distorted and became subject to rust. Lubricating the hinge did neither helped nor prolonged the integrity of the gas door. It had been difficult to close for a while prior to that event although it did close. The door of my '05 (255,000mi) eventually fell off as I was driving down the highway but luckily, I heard the bang and was able to retrieve it with only a few chips on the edge where the door hit the pavement. For now, the door remains off.

The 2008 had an issue when I first purchased it used in 2013. I realigned the door and it has been fine ever since that time but I suspect that within a few years, the hinge will eventually fail and break off. (currently 123,0000mi).

I notice that your gas door is missing a bit of paint on the outer panel edge (hinge side). It looks as though the door is hitting and rubbing against the frame when it is fully opened. If so, the door is not properly aligned...

6. Allia

Allia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for the insight everyone
    I think the cable got detached that's why it won't close
    I think i'm just gonna leave it alone for now, it's not worth fixing because it's just cosmetic to me unless there's an easy fix for a detached cable or some kind of video guide

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like your duct tape idea. maybe velcro.