1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2008 shut off while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Minie07, Nov 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Minie07

Minie07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all, I am new in this forum. I hope I can get some help from you guys. I have 2008 Prius. The milage is 144K. My car started acting weird lately. It's been 3 days that I have been experiencing this issue. The first problem I noticed is that the AC was not blowing as cold as usual. When I first start the car it blows okay but after driving for about 15-20 min it starts blow not cold, not hot but something in between. Also I noticed some type of smell coming out from AC. I have been driving same car since 4 years and I knew there is an issue in somewhere when the AC acting weird. But there was no sign on the dashboard so I thought thats not a serious issue.
    Today I was driving with 45mph and suddenly the car slowed down and shut off. It did not give me any sign or warnings at all before it shuts off. But when it slowed down I heard the beep noise and all warning signs turned on. I was panicked and parked the car on the side. It turned back on and I drove back home for about 5 miles without an issue.
    Do any of you experienced same/similar situation? It really did scare and panicked me. I would appreciate if you guys can help me.

Note: Last year October I had engine light on and I had get my 3 way coolant valve to replaced at Toyota. Since then I did not have any problem with my car.

Thank You

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You most likely have a inverter pump failure, they fail around 100k miles of use. You previously probably had a recall on this pump around the 50k miles range.....and now the failure at 144k miles.

There should be a code for the failure P0A93. Another way to check is to open the inverter coolant reservoir cap, take a peek in there while the car is READY, the coolant should have movement. A failed pump would have the coolant that has no movement.

A dealer will charge about $500+ for this repair, if you try and DIY, you can buy the pump and coolant for around $100-$150. Many local shops can do this repair for less than the dealer. Maybe if you list your location, someone can recommend a shop for you

Minie07, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Minie07

Minie07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for your informative post. I will check it today. I live in Los Angeles. Do you have any shop recommendations for me?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Armstrong auto service in Rosemead

Raytheeagle likes this.