1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2008 wiper arm removal tool?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priuses4All, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It IS very frustrating, when something that should come off won't come off.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since it appears that our group cannot help you with the name of a suitable tool, maybe you need to go back to that mechanic - or else an auto glass shop whose employees remove wiper arms daily, and ask for help. You can then see what tool is used, and buy a copy of that tool for future use.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you removed them in the past to do the mesh work?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP had a mechanic remove the wiper arms once before according to post #3.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, thank you. i'll bow out of this conversation and all the best to the o/p.(y)

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have you just tried using penetrating fluid and wiggling the pivoted wiper arm up down and side to side? It’s better not to remove the nut completely. It may take some time getting it off but slowly it should loosen when doing this. Removal tools will pull from the sides of the wiper arm and if wiper arm would be so stuck that it wouldn’t come off by wiggling removal tool would break the arm before pulling it off.

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had Prius wiper arms that don't come off easy. I've never needed a puller and I've removed 100's of arms. After you remove the 14mm nuts I just "whack" the oval shaped part of the center arm assembly and it comes right off the drive splines. For the drivers arm I just lift it off the glass and wiggle it a bit. I wonder if the OP is in a salty part of the world or someone used locktite or similar during a previous repair? Makes no sense.

valde3 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Priuses4All

Priuses4All Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to thank the group for the suggestions. As I wrote earlier, I would definitely go back to the mechanic who, with difficulty he said, removed the wiper arms -- if only he had not retired and closed his business. Also, yes, I have tried penetrating fluid, wiggling, prying, and wacking.

I plan to take the car to some auto glass shops. That sounds like a good idea since they often have to remove wiper arms. If I learn of a wiper arm removal tool that fits Prius like mine, I'll post the information.

Again, many thanks for the group's suggestions.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the specific tool doesn't exist 'cause it's an issue that doesn't normally arise; really seems like someone's applied loctite or similar to the connection.

Good luck, and when you have the wiper arms off, wire brush the faying surfaces and maybe apply thin amount of anti seize.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Acetone removes glue

11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you truly cannot get it off (carefully) cut off the arm with a sawsall then buy a used wiper linkage and arms from a recycler. There is almost no demand for Prius wiper mechanism's. Adopt A part in Denver has dozens of Prius wiper linkages for $25 each. I'm sure you can find them cheap close to you. Used arms shouldn't cost all that much either.

valde3 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you near ohio? bill the engineer has a sweet sawzall.:whistle:

13. TreeHugger1

TreeHugger1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just this week, I had the very same problem except that it was with a 2012 Prius V. I applied blaster lubricant, wiggled the wiper a lot, but it didn't seem to budge. However, after waiting a while and performing two more rounds of blaster + wiggling, it finally came off - suddenly, without any give indicating it was ready to let go. So, I can only suggest patience and repeated application of penetrating lubricant.
    When I put it back together, I applied some purple ceramic brake lubricant in hopes of facilitating the next removal.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What state are you in? Road salt might be a factor. A thin coat of anti-seize in the knurls (apply very sparingly, with an old toothbrush or sim) might help for next time.