1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2008 Won't Start with Key in Slot.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Georgy, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello everyone, when I put my key fob in the port. I can't start my car. By switching the key button, I can start the car with my key on my hand. I don't know if the port is the problem. Did someone had the same problem I am having?

Also I will like to know if someone ever use two key fob in the same Prius 2nd generation. I want to know what happen if one key is in the port with the car in ready mode, if the other key can lock and unlock the door.
    Thank you

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe the key is not programmed to work in slot. Or maybe somebody put the key in new case and forgot to swap the chip.

You can't use the buttons on the key to lock or unlock when it's in ready. But you can lock it and then use mechanical key to unlock it.

3. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I discovered that when I changed the case, I forgot to swap the chip. Now I am trying to order a new chip .
    Car Key Chips 4D67 / ID67 Transponder
    I don't know if it will need something to be done like programming it or something.

I brought the car to some electronic guys to put a remote starter on it. They couldnt do it because of that problem. I let you know when I changed the chip.

#3 Georgy, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2020
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have another key? A working key? Without a working key (one that also works in a slot) it might be hard or expensive to program a new key (or the new chip in the key).

5. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have my master key, original one that does not have a chip. I will replace the chip but I will need to program it. I have techstream TIS. I am reading how will the procedure be. Registration Code or Reset code. I am trying to figure things out .any help will be appropriated.

I have my key code with me. I heard that if you lost all your keys, you will need to reset the code in Smart Key/Utility. So I must fully understand all those options to know what I am doing .

Do you know about key programming?

https://obd2expresscouk.bcz.com/2016/01/14/toyota-smart-code-reset-and-smart-key-programming/

#5 Georgy, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2020
  6. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have finally programmed the remote. I got a good chip from someone who had a an aftermarket used key (it used it for a 2009 Toyota Prius). I discovered that the board of the OEM key was different with the aftermarket one. My OEM key can be reprogrammed. While the aftermarket blank key can be program only one time.
    Here are steps to program a new or used key (OEM) lost or stolen, with techstream 04-09 Prius

FROM IMMOBILIZER/UTILITY
    -- Immobilizer ECU needs to be reset from Immobilizer/utility (you will need a pass code to do it, it takes 16 minutes)
    -- transponder code needs to be registered Automatically after the reset

FROM SMART KEY/UTILITY
    -- Smart key ECU needs to be reset (you will need a pass code also to do it, 16 minutes)
    -- Smart code resgistration needs to be done. Just follow the steps on techstream. If you have a new blank key or a used oem key, it will work.

To get a pass code, I bought 5 tokens in the pass code calculator website. It costs me $25.

Now I will find where to install a remote starter tomorrow on my Prius.

#6 Georgy, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    The Prius Guy likes this.
  7. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I finally programmed the key

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you use Mini-VCI? What website did you get the code? All worked first time?

#8 valde3, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  9. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes I used MINI VCI with Techstream. I will provide you the website. Everything is working fine. I paid someone to also install a remote starter on it. I gave that car to my wife. She likes it .the car is over 285000 miles. It's still running like new because I am mechanic. I take care of it a lot.

10. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is the website where I calculated the passcode. I paid $25 for that.

PinOnline Software

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just really wanted to ask for others. And at a dealership you don't need to use website like that.

That seems to be a pretty common problem. I already posted a link to Prius 2008 Won't Start with Key in Slot. | PriusChat as somebody had the same problem. And I think they would appreciate the link. And the knowledge that it works.

#11 valde3, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  12. Georgy

Georgy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In case of a lost key chip, here is the procedure to program your key. First you must order a new chip 4D67. After you have a good chip, connect mini vci to the obd2 port. Open techstream after connected the Mini vci.
    ----go to IMMOBILIZER then UTILITY. There you will need to RESET THE IMMOBILIZER OR TRANSPONDER ECU. When you do it, you will be asking to provide a Pass code. It's a security point with Toyota s car. To get that code, there is a software calculator that do it. Techstream will provide you a long coded code that you will use with your VIN to calculate the passcode in an online approved website. But if you want to do it yourseft at home without using a website, you will need to purchase a specific key that calculate the pass code with a free software. That key is expensive, few hundreds dollars. So it's better to purchase 5 tokens (website code that will allow you to instantly get a pass code). It will cost you $25 for 5 tokens.
    After you get the passcode, you put it in techstream as required. Then it will takes 16 minutes to reset to TRANSPONDER. After that you will automatically be asked to register your chip at Step 4 and 5. Just follow the instructions. It's easy.
    Then after you register the chip or the transponder code, you can use the key in the slot to start the car and drive it, but the smart function won't work .
    To active the smart Key function, you must
    ----go to TECHSTREAM then SMART KEY, then UTILITY, then RESET SMART CODE or SMART ECU. That will also take you 16 minutes or least. After that, You must now choose UTILITY/SMART CODE REGISTRATION. Follow the instruction, after you register the code for the smart function, you are done. But you can't reprogramme an after market smart key. Only OEM can be reprogram. If you used an aftermarket key, it must be a blank key.

13. fernelius

fernelius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, also, put a new case on my circuit board but failed to move the chip. The chip is long gone. I do have a fully working master. This key works fine except it doesn’t start the car in the slot. If I order a 4D67 chip, can I use the first part of the chickendance to program it for use? I’d like to be able to use the slot in the dash as a backup in emergencies.

Edit: My apologies. This is on a 2009 Prius with SKS.