1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2009 Package #5 Out the Door Price 24,500 can I do better?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mariapxccm, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mariapxccm

mariapxccm New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting offereed 24,500 for a 2009 Prius can I do better? This price included taxes, tags etc;

Appreciate some help got a couple of days left to negotiate

2. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the taxes, plate fees, rebates in your area? Can you break down the numbers so I can see what the exact selling price is?

3. mariapxccm

mariapxccm New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply!!!

Price 24,289
    Rebate (-1000)
    Tags 62.75
    Taxes 781.02
    Processing fee 349.

OTD Price 24481.77

4. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VA is a different region than me, so I took out dealer advertising and finance credit amounts. Invoice is about 24,300 (mine is 24,976). I would say that is a decent price. It gives the dealership about 300-400 worth of profit.

5. mariapxccm

mariapxccm New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again for your reply!!!!

6. NavyScotty

NavyScotty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maria,
    1. Use Edmunds.com as a resource for getting accurate prices for your area. Read the articles they posted on "how to buy a new car" and "confessions of a car salesman".

2. Use CARFAX to scout your local area for good low mileage one-owner Prii. They have a great used car search funtion. You may not actually want to buy them but they are good for leverage.

How?

When talking with your dealer, use the Consumer Reports (TM) magazine article describing how Prius has the greatest 5 year reliability of any car out there and nearly the lowest average maintenance cost (not repair, don't let them pull that on you). They already know this and frequently use it as a selling point. Time to turn it on them. Point out that since there is nearly no difference to you to buying a low mileage used vehicle versus new, you're going to go buy the used one. HAVE A NAME OF A SALESMAN and the dealership with a good used Prius. Do that one to two days before the end of the month I.E. tomorrow. If they have had a bad sales month, they toyota dealer will take a hit on $$$ to make the sale.

On the last day of the month, my dealer dropped by $2000 to make my sale. They called me on the last day begging to make the sale asking what they can do (thus the free leather too). It takes a cool hand to do this and you have to be a ball buster. They will call in the "hired gun" manager to close you. Keep telling them that because Toyotas are such great vehicles that you have full confidence buying used. I kept referring to a Lexus dealer with a low mileage package 6 Prius on hand. They knew the car and knew Lexus had had it for a while. (No one goes to a Lexus dealership looking for "an economy car") so they knew Lexus was desperate to unload it. I even had the Lexus quote ($21,400 for a 14k mi car) in hand.
    I did this and walked out with a 2008 Prius Package 5 with free leather upgrade for $22k (before tax,tag, title). Yeah, I had to go to a "new" 2008 vice a "new" 2009 but it still had only 200 mi on it when I took possession.
    Honestly, you're doing pretty darn good, but go bust their balls. Out the door, it was $23,600 for me. AND if you live in the States you get the taxes back this year... better for you.
    And good move going with the 2009. Why wait and pay more for the 2010?? Get that zero% they are offering now too. Wish I had gotten that.

GOOD LUCK!

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a Damn Good Price!!!

DO IT!!

I wish I paid that!!

8. mariapxccm

mariapxccm New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again all for your replies....Game on! Can't wait to own my first Hybrid!

9. guarexa

guarexa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    maria althought thats a great price..and as late as last november would have been a steal.!

your 2009 vehicle will greatly depreciate as soon as the new 2010 comes out.
    if you are going to spend that money , i would spent it on a new 2010.

however, prior to making the same jump you are thinking, i did a lot of searching on autotrader and cars.com for a low mileage 2009-2008-2007 prius fully loaded and in a 100 miles ratius, and you would be surprised the bargains you would find. even on craigslist

I found mine in PA, 2008 loaded with 15k mi for under 18k about a month ago,
    when the new model hits its bound to go lower.
    just a thought
    used ones from the dealer also carry a longer warranty so ask for that too.

10. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only if it is certified which costs an additional amount. When certifying a vehicle, you are basically buying a powertrain only warranty. But, instead of it being tax free as a service, you are paying for it in the selling price of the vehicle. The good side of certifying is that you are guaranteed to not be buying a lemon, accident car, etc.