1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2009 slip indicator light when going about 60mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Shaden, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Shaden

Shaden New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I did Steering wheel front direction for my 2009 Prius, since then the Slip light keeps peeping and lighting.
    Since I saw a lot of people here having the same problem, I realized that it might be a problem with the tires.
    Can you tell me what are the best tires for this car type? Thank you.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't really matter as long as they are all the size. It is preferable for them to be the same make and type, too.

If your tyres are the same size and type, then you need to read the codes and look at the freeze frame data to work out why the slip light is lighting.

3. Shaden

Shaden New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tank you for the response, it’s odd because the peeping stops when I move the steering wheel a quarter to the left , before I did the wheel front direction it was always sliding little to the left side not perfectly straight, could that be the problem? What are the wheel front directions for this car type? Is there specific numbers?? Thank you!

4. smcgk

smcgk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Came here with the same issue, except it came on totally out of the blue. My tires are all the same and in great shape, and I had them rotated but it didn't help. How do you read the code with something like this that only flashes for a few seconds? Should an auto shop be able to read it like they would a check engine code? Thanks!

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it only flashes randomly every now and then, there might be nothing wrong. That's what happens when VSC is doing its job.

But, if there is really a problem, then yes a capable scanner that can read the brake system/HV Control system ECUs is what's required. Something like Techstream.

6. Brittney

Brittney New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever figure out what happened? We can’t go over 60 mph and the slip lights come on.

7. smcgk

smcgk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did ultimately bring it in, and apparently they'd need to replace my entire hydraulics system to the tune of $2k to fix it. So, that's not happening unless it starts to feel like a safety concern.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might have some kind of problem with the ABS wheel speed sensors that makes the ABS/VSC ecu think that the drive wheels are spinning faster than the rears. Or you could have mismatched tires (different circumferences) that cause the same thing.

Having a scantool that is capable of looking at data from the ABS system (such as Techstream) would help immensely.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sounds like the stuff dealers say when they have other customers with appointments for easier jobs and they don't feel like the effort to find out what's happening with your car.

If they read trouble codes and didn't give those to you, you should insist that they do; then post them here.

Besides just reading trouble codes, Techstream has a utility called ABS History that can give you the details of what was happening the most recent four times the ABS or traction control (same computer handles both) kicked in.

10. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So as you know I’ve been having abs svc ! Lights come on after replacing wheel bearings (abs 32/36 vsc 43, ! 34) Before I did that I had a horrible sound and the same traction control light at 60. Well I ordered new sensor on the chance they could’ve been damaged. So I reset lights and all seemed good til my morning commute , the same abs svc ! Came on and the ride felt rougher (like I got some crap bearings). I didn’t get to pull the codes this time. After work the lights are off but I didn’t reset them and now the traction light is coming on after 69 again. My ride is definitely not as smooth as the first week of new wheel bearings, it feels like they’re altlready failing again or something. Vsc and ! Is back on (kicked on after 79-80 no more traction control light. The lights just went off again and only kicked on at 83 mph.
    i don’t know how long it’ll take me to dig up techstream, but my current OBD can do freeze-frame data. What would I be looking for and how do I take freeze frame data? Does it take the data itself when it detects something weird?

I should get an alignment after replacing wheel bearings shouldnt I?

#10 Gino Veltri, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023