1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2009 with 100K miles: buy or pass?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Fijoy Vadakkumpadan, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Fijoy Vadakkumpadan

Fijoy Vadakkumpadan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

My friend is selling his Prius 2009 with about 100300 miles on it. It's a standard hatchback, and he said he will have it pass the state inspection and emissions tests (we are in Maryland) before selling. He is asking $9500. He also said that 2 recalled parts are being replaced currently at the dealership.

The car apparently has been in an accident, and my friend had to replace the rear door on the driver side. He claims that the accident was not a major one, and that the exterior and interior of the car are in excellent condition.

I have never owned a hybrid vehicle. Would you have any advice on whether I should seriously consider buying this car, especially since the car has so many miles on it, and it has been in an accident? Is the price he is asking too high?

Thank you,
    Fijoy

2. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No I don't think the price is too high for a 2009 with only 100k on it. if repairs after wreck were done well i don't see a problem. Check to see if all maintenance is up to date.Sounds good to me...

3. wpaxt

wpaxt Junior Member

Amazing car, and not a bad price if the car is mechanically sound. Friend or not, I would have a mechanic check it out before talking a deal.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dang, 100k on an '09? That's a lot of miles quick but, shouldn't adversely affect the car. $9500 is a good price if the car runs, looks and drives well.

5. Fijoy Vadakkumpadan

Fijoy Vadakkumpadan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The KBB is indicating a value of $9050 assuming that this car is in very good condition. That's why I'm wondering if $9500 is too much. Do you all think that KBB undervalues in this case? I wouldn't say the car is in excellent condition given the accident.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KBB tends to overvalue, if anything.

7. Shibby

Shibby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seems like a good price to me. In June, I paid $8,500 for an '08 with 156k on it.

I recommend running the VIN through Toyota Service History.