1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 compatible 15 inch steel wheels for Winter Tires ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by iFreedom45, Aug 20, 2009.

1. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the Skoda Octavia 1 steel rims as winter option. The center hole is slightly bigger, but not a problem to center via carefull tighting of wheel nuts. I used the older nut set from Honda car. Used tires are 195/65/15" - quite good diameter match to 215/45/17". Before this, I asked the local Toyota, as no original steel rims avail. for PIII. They recommended 16" steelies, pz419-g0690-za and 195/60/16 tires

2. Mooseman2409

Mooseman2409 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gislaved Nord Frost 3..great swedish tire

3. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone tell me whether the nuts on the standard Prius wheels will work with steel wheels? I installed a steel wheel this evening, and it does not look right. It looks as if the wheel is steady in place, but the washers are useless. See the photo.

The white stuff is a result of stretching the contrasts so that you can see better on the photo.
    [​IMG]

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Their are fine. The lugs were design to work with both mags and steels (your spare is a steel wheel).

You might consider some cheapo hubcaps to cover them. I might do that myself if I can find some decent looking ones.

1 person likes this.
  5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wouldn't hubcaps trap in the dirt and salt (depending if your region uses salts) snow pack would probably destroy it just as fast...

6. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why buy new steelies when you can get OEM 15" alloys off of ebay for a bit more money?

I got the 6 spoke version of the Gen 2 Prius. I like them better than the Gen 3 w/o the hubcap. Message me and I'll point you to the ebay retailer I got mine from.

7. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now you post this:eek:

Have my black steels and tires sitting and wait at local Honda dealer
    SIL is the service writer there and got me a deal on snows

8. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I got my multifit steelies from Discount Tire, I ended up getting another set of lug nuts. I can't remember if I had conical and I got acorn or the other way around. Regardless, my mechanic and I felt the seat wasn't sufficient with the ones originally on the vehicle. I have the 17" wheels, though, if that makes a difference.

1 person likes this.
  9. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I visited the dealer yesterday. He said:
    1- I should replace the nuts with ones that have a better contact surface with the wheels.
    2- If I dont replace the nuts, it will damage them (rust due to salt) in the long term.
    3- The washers not being of any use, they will be noisy when the car is moving.

I think arguments 1 and 2 dont hold because:
    1- The nuts he said I should use for replacement had the same amount of contact surface with the wheel than the nuts used for the alloy wheels.
    2- If I had chosen to keep the alloy wheels and just mount winter tires on them, the nuts would have been exposed to the salt anyway.

I have a bit of doubts regarding argument #3. Do any of you have experience with nut washers being noisy when installed on steel wheels?

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    None. If there was, I wouldn't be able to hear them over the roar of the studs.:)

p.s. I think your assessment on point 1 and 2 are spot on.

1 person likes this.
  11. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally swapped my snow tires on today. As mentioned previously, I bought some 15" Gen 2 alloys off of ebay. They are of the 6 spoke design. I can confirm that they fit the 2010 Prius V beautifully. There is no offset problem, hubcentric, and center caps are interchangeable.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks all for the info. We're scheduled to pick up our NEW 2010 Touring package Prius (sim to V in the States? Has the 17" rims), this weekend, and just looking out the window I see the North Shore mountains have a fresh dusting of snow, about 1/3 of the way down...

15" gen II alloys sounds particularly promising: I would much prefer to be purchasing 195/65-15 snows.

Hey, my new avatar looks good! Not in our hands yet, still in the showroom...

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! The Touring model looks fantastic.

Similar on the outside but not on the inside. The V has leather, heated front seats, power lumbar support, Plasmacluster ionizer filter and water-repellent front glass.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks. We picked it up last night. Got to bed around midnight. Awake at 4:30am, to erhh... check out a few things. Have the fever ;)

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the club. A year later and I'm still have the fever.

16. Cito

Cito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Picked up a gen 3 version IV two weeks ago and am looking at a possible snowy winter. I traded in a Gen 2 and installed snow tires on it every Dec. and pulled them off usually in March. So as not to change rims/tires twice annually, I purchased a set of steel wheels of the same size from Discount tires and had the snow tires installed on them, They came with another set of nuts and all worked very well the winter tires were Michelin Ice X and seemed to be very good tires in all the winters I used them. To make it all look better, I also have a set of hub caps for the steel wheels.

Now, I was wondering if I could install the same rims/tires on my new Gen 3 and just ignore the tire pressure warning light for the winter (or maybe turn it off somehow). Apparently from the above I should have no problems putting these wheels on for the winter. Am I correct?

This car is a heck of a lot more complicated that the good old gen 2.

17. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even my Toyota dealer told me I can install winter tires WITHOUT the sensors. I just have to sign a waver document for them releasing them of any liabilities due to this choice of mine.

18. Much More Better

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct. I just took my rims and tires (then mounted on another set of rims) and asked the shop to mount my Nokians on the Prius 15" rims. TMPS issue did not come up as they have no clue what car I will be using them on. Then I DIY'ed the swap last week so I never got the run-around and liability issue that other members have reported.

Having said that, there is an advantage to swapping rims yourself: If you take the wheel off every once in a little while, you don't let the wheel cease onto the hub.

19. SECONDHANDPRIUS

SECONDHANDPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a set of older but like new take off Subaru Impreza WRX 15" x 6" Steel Wheels 6'' wide 5x100 Lug Pattern I'm hoping these will work for snow wheels for my Wintercat XT P185/65/15. Anyone using something like these for snow wheels?

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One that does work, worked for us, is 15" Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-0247. Actually just put them on again, last weekend. And while the alloy nuts will work, they stand out, don't look right. I'm using utilitarian open ended lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007. If you want covers it might be p/n: 42621-AB110.

Not sure, but I believe this is all for 2005 and up Corolla.