1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 II at $10,790: Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Samuel Wiedmayer, Nov 19, 2016.

?
  1. Toyota Prius 2010

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Honda Insight 2010

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Find Another Prius

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Samuel Wiedmayer

Samuel Wiedmayer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone,

I am bringing this question to people on this forum in hope to close the deal on my first Prius (yay!). Let me get started by first telling you my story:

I'm 22, and I just got a full time job about a month and a half ago following a college education. I have been driving around a really terrible Olds 88 (1998) and everything seems to be falling apart on it. The heat doesn't work, it randomly dies every now and then, coolant leak that has been (supposedly) repaired many times but is not, gas leaks, etc. With winter coming, I recently I started looking at cars as it is time for me to purchase a vehicle. I have been particularly geared towards hybrids because well, I care about the environment and think they're really cool - gas mileage is a bonus. I have a down payment I can put down of about $4,000 and make around $1,500 a month. I mainly commute in the city, but about 30 miles on the highway once a week.

Anyways, I found a Honda Insight 2010 w/ 118,000miles at a Toyota dealership that I can get for $7,215. Initially, I really liked it and was ready to buy it. I asked the dealership if I could try out a Prius just for kicks. He pulled up a 2010 Prius w/ 79,000miles and I took it for a drive. Let me tell you, I was impressed. Everything about the car I liked more than the insight. The only downside is that as of right now it's $10,790 with a one year warranty. I hope to talk him down to $10,200. If I could do that, would this vehicle be worth the buy? Would it last me a while?

KBB: Dealer: Suggested Retail Price - $10,402
    Fair Purchase Price - $10,188
    Private w/ Excellent Condition: $8,863

PROS
    -Excellent condition
    -1 year warranty
    -It's a Prius!

CONS
    -Could get the insight for $3,500 cheaper (but with 40,000 more miles)
    -Who knows when/if the battery will die during my use with it

OTHER NOTES
    -Both cars are in excellent shape.
    -I live in Michigan where it snows a lot.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! have you shopped around at all? my daughter has a 2008 with 80,000 miles, i expect it to last a long time. there are rare expensive occurrences though.
    my opinion, the prius is a better car and worth the extra money, but from what i have read, the insight is a good car albeit a few flaws.

3. BethPet

BethPet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2014 trim level 4 and I love the car. And we love in Northeast Ohio... So we know snow. I drive 47 miles each way to work, so I go through tires like people change shoes. I currently am on my second set of tires. The OEM tires lasted 42k, so I replaced them with Michelin Premier... I am at 77k... Love the car!!! My dealership tried to get me into the new model, but I know how awesome my car handles the weather... I will be keeping my '14 for a long time! Good luck!

Pixel XL ?

4. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have shopped around a bit, mainly searching through inventory's online. For the most part it seems that unless buying from a private seller, hitting that $10,200 mark would seem to be the price you pay for. Anything else I've found has over 100,000 miles or is pretty expensive.

I'd be willing to look a bit more, but winter is coming and I need a car soon. I was hoping that after confirming the deal is sound with folks here, I could make the purchase

5. BethPet

BethPet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We love in Northeast Ohio, and live there too!!

Pixel XL ?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. BethPet

BethPet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I made a typo...

Pixel XL ?

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the price seems good to you, and you have taken a good long test drive, are comfortable in the seats and with the gas mileage, go for it.

9. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply Bisco.

I think it's an okay deal. I just wanted to make sure it's worth it. Will it last me over 6-7 years? Would I be better off with the insight at the much lower cost? Should I instead look for an older Prius with the same amount of miles? Is it this deal particularly good because of the warranty? Any feedback is appreciated.

10. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had 3 prius. An 04, with 180k still wonderful car nothing major. Just brakes front and back once. Rotors once and struts in rear. Other than that it was a great car and still getting 45mpg. I have 07, done nothing needs nothing with 68k. 2011 just did brakes and that's it but has 75k. I live upstate NY and trave frequently to the city 140 miles round trip. They perform in snow and if you put on either good all weather tires or snow tires. They do well. The 3rd gen will do slightly better in snow but if you give me a 2gen I prefer it more. Has more space for driver and passenger I feel. Don't really like the sky bridge on the 3rd gen. I think 2 gen more reliable also. That's my opinion of course. Also if you get the 2gen you could get for same money as insight and low mile and fully loaded looking around of course. Buy private and once you feel you found it then take to mechanic or Toyota dealer and you would save all the dealer fees. Hope this helps you out.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Great advice, thanks!

It's just difficult because of my time restraint at the moment. I know this car is reliable, has been inspected thoroughly, and is protected via a 1 year warranty. I am not really sure if I'll have time to shop around and find a Prius worthy of buying since it started snowing here in Michigan today.

Definitely worthy advice though, i'll look into it!

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't drive much, don't buy a prius at this time. Making $1500 a month isn't all that much to be able to comfortably afford an expensive hv battery repair.

Use the $4000 and buy a Used Civic, Corolla, CRV. You won't have payments and it should be reliable until you are stable in the job market. You really don't want the stress of payments this early in your career.

You can go for a nice used prius when you have a little more money saved up and your job is stable. That's the smart way to do it.

Snow, Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for the advice.

That made me really sad, but you're probably right. I was just really committed to wanting a Prius, and honestly still am. I still have a few days to think.

14. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

To add, I was planning on taking great care of this car and having it last me at least 7 years. Therefore, I thought it might be worth it at this point. Rather than buying a Civic/Corolla and only having it last me 5 years or so at most.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will need to spend good money on a new hybrid battery $3000, when it gets to about 8 to 10 years old. Not to mention unforseen brakes, tires, steering, electrical, AC issues.

16. Veliksam

Veliksam Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would offer the dealer $10k flat including tax and tag transfer.

I bought my Prius C2 on the 29th of September. Found it online from a Nissan dealer, they were asking $10950 for it, 2014 with 36k miles and in very good shape.

I was originally shopping for a Yaris but at the last moment on the day I was going to go buy it, I found my C2.

So I called the Nissan dealer and told them that I have $11200 in cash and that I'm about to go spend it on a Yaris, I told them that if they want to sell me the prius I will do the deal that same day, they said they'd get back to me in a few minutes.

Few minutes later I get a call and I heard the words "you've got a deal". They even sent someone from their dealership in Tampa to come pick me up in Orlando.

So in the end the actual price of the car turned out to be $9500 which is almost $1500 less then what they were asking and I got a Prius instead of a Yaris for the same money.

Moral of the story is you should always try your luck if you get a chance.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

JC91006 likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't underestimate the reliability of the corolla /civic. These are very reliable cars that will go over 200k miles as easily as the Prius will. And the gas mileage in a corolla or civic will be in the 30s, so good especially given the driving so are suggesting you will be doing.

It sounds like you really want a Prius. And if the discussion point for you is something that lasts 7 years vs. 5 years and the difference in price is about $6k, then you appear comfortable with accepting a car payment early in your working career.

I would suggest as @JC91006 and look for a low price corolla / civic as they are out there and would avoid a car payment so saving for the next car or other things in life might be money well saved rather than spent.

All the best(y).

18. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Veliksam!

I could try that, how exactly should I word it? Should I just say that I have similar choices from other sellers that are offering it for much lower? As is right now, it's $11,708.44 with little negotiating. All i've said is "could you go a little lower?" $1,708 is quite the price cut, i'm not sure if they would go with it. It's possible I suppose.

I really like the Prius, but I understand the point that JC91006 made. It is a 2010, and it might need a battery replacement soon even though it doesn't even have 80k miles on it. Do you agree with that at all?

Which brings another question to mind: Does the battery usually go bad at 8 years because usually the miles have been racked up at that point, or does it go bad simply because of age?

19. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. Samuel Wiedmayer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Ahh, the discouragement is painful. I was so set on a Prius :/. Points taken though, I'll look into it.