1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 in Collision

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by erinmck32, Oct 12, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    why are you dealing with your insurance co? isnt the other lady's insurance company paying you for car and rental?

1 person likes this.
  2. pinzvidz

pinzvidz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your insurance company do a "new for old" benefit? What I mean by that - in Australia for example, with Toyota Insurance, if your new Toyota is totaled in the first 3 years, they arrange to give you another new Toyota, same model and all (if available). Naturally in that case the policy finishes and a new policy would need to be commenced for the new car.

Yeah but she still would've had to make the claim with her insurance company regardless. She just doesn't have to pay an excess, as the other party is at fault.

1 person likes this.
  3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Glad that nobody was hurt...and that it was totaled...

1 person likes this.
  4. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great point (and glad no one was hurt). Dealers always try to sell this to cover the loan in the event car was totalled. They wanted $600 and my credit union was $300. Both ONLY cover the loan; they have nothing to do with getting a new car.

So I asked my Allied insurance agent about it (first time ever) and it was ONLY $30 a year to add it. Not only does it pay off the loan, but gives me a new car replacement the first 3 years and then coverts to gap coverage for the loan the next 3. At year 7, no longer offered. My loan is 4 years.

I expected the dealer to be a rip-off but was surprised how much the credit union was charging. Guess they have to recoup $ since I have a 3.5% fixed loan with no prepayment penalty (received extra .5% off for green car) :D

1 person likes this.
  5. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i just came from a black car

my advice

don't pick black

it shows the dirt and scratches way too much

1 person likes this.
  6. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So glad no one was hurt.
    I hope everything works out with the insurance. I cannot imagine what a pain it would be,

Those photos make me want to cry. We also have a black Prius.

1 person likes this.
  7. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    RE: Insurance

We have been hearing that it is common these days for insurance companies to expect you to haggle with them, so they start by saying they're going to cover as little as possible (what a crime, considering what people go through in the first place to have to be coming to their insurance company!!).

So, for example, even though the other party was cited, and her insurance company is accepting full liability, they are trying to tell us that they are only going to write us a check for the cost of a new Prius minus $1,000, which is what they consider a month's depreciation to be. To answer this point first, it's just ridiculous. Our thoughts: "Let me get this straight. Your customer collided with our car and caused us the trauma and headaches of all of this to start with AND you're telling us we're going to be out $1,000 because of it?!" Plus, the stress of relocating a hard to find car to start with, redrawing the loan, etc. If they can find us a 2010, black, III Prius that is one month old and in perfect condition (no accidents or repairs), approx. 1,500 miles, FINE, we might consider taking it. Anyone think this is possible???

Second thing, they paid for a car rental for us for THREE DAYS and are cutting us off. Husband and I both commute an HOUR to work in OPPOSITE directions, which is a primary reason we bought the car in the first place. Luckily (sort of) I've been on maternity leave until tomorrow anyway, so I've been able to arrange whatever local rides I've needed to get groceries, etc. But what are we supposed to do now -- decide which one of us is going to go to work each day as we now only have one car? No, of course not. We're going to have to keep renting a car until we a). settle the issue with the insurance company, b). locate a new Prius expected to arrive at a dealership in a two-hour radius sometime soon (which took us over a week to do last time making constant calls), c). redraw the loan, d). wait for the Prius to make its way to the dealership after we've found one coming in (which took two weeks last time). The rental is going to be at least $100 weekly for the cheapest compact available.

Basically, we're looking at a ton of stress on top of an already stressful situation, and about $2,000 out of our pocket to boot, all for an accident we did not cause. Perhaps to some, this is too small of an amount to get bent out of shape about. We're a new family, have been saving for the car, our first house, and a baby, which all just came within the past four months ... Besides, even if it were $50, we're just so mad that we're being treated this way.

Tomorrow we're talking with a supervisor and hoping to get somewhere with her.

Sorry for the rampage, but it relieves stress! I hope all of you are doing well and staying accident-free!! :)

8. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Glad it was totalled. I don't think they can perfectly repair a car after an impact like that. One of my BIG concerns about dealing with a repaired wreck is that when future problems inevitably arise, the dealer will likely say it's not a warranty issue with the manufacturer, it's an issue with the repair shop. And naturally, the repair shop will point their finger the other way. That would be one heck of a lousy situation to be in.

1 person likes this.
  9. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Keep yours safe!!

As for insurance, the one mistake we definitely made in all of this was to call Nationwide's "call center" to "order" our insurance, rather than making a good contact with a local agent and possibly paying a little extra to be able to work face-to-face with someone. We will be switching after this is all settled.

10. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I completely agree. I'm definitely thankful we didn't have the additional headache of having to argue with the insurance people about whether or not it was a complete loss.

11. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Haha ... Well, we originally searched for a blue because it was the compromise color for us. However, it was just too hard to find, so we went with my first choice - the black. Guess we'll see what we can find this time!

12. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a long story. We're dealing with hers because they are the ones ultimately paying for the damages. However, we may need to get our agency involved again to go to bat for us against the other company. We'll see.

13. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would NOT waste my time talking to the insurance people at all! Spend your time doing a couple of things:

1) start a daily journal. Document as much detail as you can about every impact (pun intended) of the accident to you and your family.

2) shop around for a good lawyer who specializes in accident claims. Careful, this is where you can find some unsavory types, so ask friends, relatives and interview a few attorneys. You should be able to get 30 minutes of free time with a good lawyer to determine who you want to hire. They should not charge you up front - they'll get their fee after the case settles.

3) have everyone in your family who was involved in the accident go to your family doctor for a check up - there may be hidden injuries or problems that have yet to surface.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  14. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ugh, what a pain. I would be SO frustrated if I were in your shoes. I hope you're satisfied with the car when you get it back, finally.

15. erinmck32

erinmck32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is great advice ... As we have a phone call scheduled tomorrow with a supervisor from the ins. co. anyway, we're going to see whether there's any chance they're already willing to back down from their current stance without us having to go to further lengths, and without getting into a protracted discussion about all the details. They already are 100% aware of exactly what we want them to do.

However, if we strike out with that, they've been informed that we'll be getting an attorney involved. We're going to go ahead and start talking to some friends and family to get a reference for an attorney in the meantime ...

(I would love to find a company these days that doesn't have to be bullied into giving customers what they've paid for.)

16. phartin

phartin Cookie Monster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's standard for insurance companies to only give you three days worth of rental to get a new car if yours is totalled. However, you could certainly go to small claims court to recoup the extra rental cost since the car is not readily available at dealerships.

I would suggest you get it in writing from a bunch of dealerships as to whether they have the same car in stock and how long they would expect it to take to get one. That could be used for evidence if you needed to take it to court to get payment for the extra rental car expenses.

P.S.: You're not allowed to get your new car before I get mine back. That would just be uncool. :tongue1:

1 person likes this.
  17. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did the same thing and when I bought my car, used the switch over to find a new agent. I asked a friend who they use and ended up with state farm. I feel much better about them. They sent me a free coffee coupon and my friend one... then they sent another for my bday! The customer service at that level is better for sure, I haven't had to deal with any claims so can't speak to that personally, but I dealt with a call center claims adjuster with my last insurance and it was difficult. They kept transferring me to different adjusters etc.

That's good information that it's standard practice, at least it doesn't feel like they are trying to manipulate and cheat you specifically. Oh wait.... that's what insurance companies do...

1 person likes this.
  18. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  19. wjterry

wjterry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You probably already have an attorney, have him/her make a few calls. I've heard the insurance companies seem to listen better when someone (an attorney) other than the policy holder calls. If you're within "a few thousand" I'd think the attorney could help the company decide to go ahead and total out the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  20. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm sorry to hear about your car. I was traveling down rt.66 in va. last week and a truck tore out a big chunk of a gray 2010 Prius. I felt so bad for them.
    I heard about someone that ordered a new Prius in June and it finally came in. They had to turn the car down because the dealer wanted a lot more money for the car. You may want to check on that, and don't sign off on the medical until everything is worked out. Were you sore the next day? You probsbly took a harder hit than it seems. You may need to consult a lawyer to see what your rights are. If you let your insuance handle the claim, you may end up paying a deductible.

1 person likes this.