1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 NAV Screen Quality

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hb06, Jun 1, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good thought, Dave. I hope this is the case. The rear-view camera resolution is very high.

Yes, it may be the same one. Do we know whether the height is the same, also? Perhaps it is just the different placement, but the 2010 Nav screen really does seem wider to me.

In any event, I have no real concern about the apparent lower-quality resolution, because I think the other advances with the Nav make up for any such "loss." By having the street names called out, I don't need to see the screen as much. It is considerably safer to have the names called out than to spend so much time trying to interpret the screen as you are driving.

2. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    4.3" screen? Too small for me.

1 person likes this.
  3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    screen not wider. only appears that way because screen is shorter... 3 3/4" verses 3½"

i think the screen being set flush instead of the backset on the classics has given the illusion of being bigger

4. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone viewed the NAV screen with polarized lenses. On my satellite radio the screen has a rainbow effect and is almost impossible to read. I was wondering if I'll have the same problem on the 2010 Prius.

Thanks,

Rich N.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    LCD works on the principal of polarized light. It's expected that tilting your head will cause the screen to darken at certain angles.

HowStuffWorks "How LCDs Work" if you're curious.

1 person likes this.
  6. chrisfenwick

chrisfenwick New Member

Model:
    V
    I can tell you without a shadow of doubt the screen is lower resolution than my 2007 that recently suffered a sudden and unscheduled meeting with a camary... (BTW, i'm convinced the technology, airbags, crumplezones and seat belt arrests, saved my life).

I'm a video editor who stares at pixels all day long and the 2010 screen is a real disappointment to me, it looks WAY worse than the 2007 did. My wife actually pointed it out to me, (she's a bit of a resolution expert herself, being a photograher).

It is true, if you know nothing else you'll be impressed with the 'magic finding mappy thing' in your dash. You'll love how you never get lost and you'll be enamored with knowing the name of a street before get there, BUT... it clearly is not the same quality as the previous model and that is disturbing.

What other 'short cuts' were taken with this car to save a couple bux? Seriously? I'm very much concerned considering my 2007 was robust enough to save my life. Will this one?

And, as others have stated... you're already driving down the road doing something else... yea... DRIVING... do you really want to compromise the resolution of your NAV system? I don't!!

I may sound like a snob, but, despite all the deals that are available right now, today on 2010 year end clearance... I may wait till 2011 to see if they fix the screen.

But think of this... if they do suddenly improve the screen on the 2011 and its ONLY the 2010 that sucks... don't you think EVERY OWNER of a 2010 will come in and complain and ask for a repair???

I seriously think Toyota boned this one up bad...

PR nightmare if you ask me... (oh yea... then theres that brake thing.)

7. begin2trade

begin2trade New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any update on the 2011 Prius Nav Screen quality/resolution?

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Given the absolutely beautiful NAV screen in the upcoming Prius v, it's shocking how bad the current Prius NAV screen is.

9. begin2trade

begin2trade New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

So no, the Prius Gen III's NAV screen still sucks and there's no way around it?

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2011 owners should chime in and confirm, assuming they've seen the 2010 screen. Maybe it'll get a better screen in 2012 as the 2012 Prius v's screen absolutely blows it away and it won't make much sense for them to retain the much inferior screen.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think you'll see an improvement until the Entune systems are available, probably starting 2012. For now we're stuck with a lower res screen than one was able to get in the 2006-2009 Prius. Did it save money for Toyota? Yes. Do I like the decision? Heck no, it definitely looks cheap. Even when using the radio, the buttons for presets etc look so Commodore 64ish to me.

12. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yup my 2007 Prius had a much nicer screen. And I like that the animated hybrid display was shown on it rather than the cheaper monochrome display we have now.