1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Oil Change Interval Revised? Not yet... (closed)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sphyrna, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With some new 2010 Prius owners being charged $100+ for an oil change due to the 0W-20 synthetic oil requirements, we have some good news. PriusChat forum member Sphyrna has posted a document provided by his dealership in Miami showing that the 2010 Prius oil change interval will be changed to 10,000 miles instead of the current 5,000 miles. The document appears to be a training material for dealerships and contains other pages showing that the 2010 4 cylinder Camry, the 4.6L Tundra and Sequoia, the FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, and Scion XD are all also included in this oil change interval update. While Toyota officially has said that no updates have been made to the oil change interval policies, these documents look pretty official and I'd say it's only a matter of time before Toyota confirms this change. Most likely they are training dealerships on it now and then they will issue a software update to keep your car from reminding you to get service every 5,000 miles. The cost of the 0W-20 oil change has been a source of heartburn for a lot of 2010 owners, so it's great to see Toyota changing their tune. Thanks, Sphyrna, for the great news tip! Be sure to hit the "Thanks" button under his post in the comment thread. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

119 people like this.
  2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is great news! How will Toyota broadcast this news that the OCI is now 10K miles?

3. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great news but is this from dealer or from Toyota? If not from Toyota i'll stick with what Toyota says.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. I wonder if Canada will follow suit.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is from Toyota, see the attached powerpoint presentation my svc mngr showed me. According to my dealer it also applies to Canada, because it should apply to all listed 2010 models. I would check with your local dealer, just in case.

1 person likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    YES!!!!

That agrees with the oil testing results!!

YEAAAAAA!!!

Now if they'll do:

• 5K - transaxle oil change
    • 50k - transaxle oil change for NHW20
    • 30k - transaxle oil change for NHW11
    • Type WS - NHW11 after first change (Ok, I can hope!)
    YES!!!

Thank you Team Toyota and the Japanese engineers!!!

I have no idea about the ZVW30 transaxle oil change since I'm at ~4,100 miles. Yes, my first 5k ICE change will also include a 5k transaxle oil change and BOTH samples will go to my oil testing service. Depending upon some regression testing, I may choose to do another transaxle oil change at 15k.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting statement in the document you provided: "The owners manual will be amended to require the use of SAE 0W-20 oil if the vehicle is factory equipped with synthetic oil."

I believe my 2010 was "factory-equipped" with syn oil. How and when will this amendment happen? I still have some time before I would hit my second 5K (thanks to two accidents since my first 5K change!), but plenty of other folks are likely up against it now (or even past that point).

Are we to go right up to 15K on the odo before the next oil change? I'd love to, but not until I get some kind of notice from Toyota.

8. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got mine changed at 3,000, so am also wondering. Our dealer is having a new owners get together on Tuesday evening. Guess I will ask if it doesn't get mentioned.

9. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good news but I'd like it if we all heard it officially. Kind of annoying too that the little service passport thing will be wrong, and I assume my car will beep at me at 5k intervals and I'll have to manually reset the oil change warning?

EDIT: The language of "will be" makes me concerned that page is more about future models or something. I'd sure like something official that says "this is the new oil change schedule for your car" considering warranty, resale, etc.

10. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking the same thing. For US Prii, I hope there will be some sort of recall to reprogram so we don't have to reset the oil change system as mentioned on page 428.

1 person likes this.
  11. IraS

IraS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The powerpoint presentation says the service interval is extended to 10,000 miles. It doesn't say that the first service interval stays at 5,000 miles.

Since I only have about 1,300 miles on the car, will I need to have it serviced at 5,000 miles or 10,000 miles?

Can we get some kind of official word from the Prius Team about this issue? I suspect most dealers won't know about this change, and I wouldn't rely on them for information anyway.

12. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is surprising, happy, and confusing news.

Surprising - did anyone here expect this? I mean we were all complaining, but... nice.

Happy - huge $$ savings. But UNhappy - dealer service departments.

Confusing - Doubting Thomas - sure would be good to get confirmation from Doug's team.

I only have 2800 miles on mine (9 weeks old). but already have the 0w20 oil and filter at the ready. Will probably do an early 1st change as some of you had done. Then go to 10K interval if the good news is true.

13. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would they re-word it to be 10k miles or 12 months?
    It will probably take me 1.5 years to drive 10k.

I pick up my plates tomorrow, I may ask if they know about this.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The change interval should be:

• 5,000 miles - first change. This will remove the manufacturing left-overs; the initial initial 'lapping' by-products; and any leached elements from the case sealing compounds.
    • 10,000 miles - the subsequent changes will remove the combustion contaminates; condensed water; and stress sheared by-products.
    Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  15. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same here. I always change my other cars every 12 months; I never get to the mileage limit.

16. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess it's needless to say since you are so good about sharing info with therest of us but... please keep us informed as to the transaxle oil test results! That should be interesting!

17. Prius978

Prius978 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will the firmware for the reminders be updated to 10K?

18. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can imagine how I felt when the svc mgr informed me, I actually said to him "No, no, I have a 2010, it's 5K miles." And then he showed me the document I posted above. (sorry about the quality, I did all that from my phone cause I was excited to share the news:D)

It blew me away. I definitely never expected this. If Dianne or any other dealer is out there who can corroborate this info, we'd all appreciate it!

19. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know I didn't even think to ask, but I'll call tomorrow and see if they did anything to update mine in any way. I doubt it.

I was actually thinking on the way home that maybe the reminder was ALREADY set to 5k for the first and 10K afterward - the afterward matching the rest of the world - by mistake at the factory! And this change is to make the requirement match the notification system. Wouldn't that be something! Has anyone driven 10000 miles on a 2010 yet who can tell us one way or the other?

20. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This agrees with what the svc mgr told me (verbally) at Royal Palm Toyota. I know the document doesn't officially come out and say this, but I think it's a good practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.