1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Oil Change Interval Revised? Not yet... (closed)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sphyrna, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is not yet official if it ever will be.

The following applies:

1. According to unnamed sources....

2. Speaking on the condition of anonymity.....

3. It is rumored......

2. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    SET may have some commercial latitude, but regarding warranties, specs, etc. it follows Toyota 100%

3. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know where you're coming from. I guess you're just trying to be funny. How does any of that apply? All sources have been named, the document in question was shown to me by my service guy - who was named, was photographed by me at my dealership - also named, and shared with you all. No one has claimed anonymity, I've gone back to the dealer out of my way to verify with them and they reconfirmed it to me. The PriusTeam has not denied it. This is not a rumor. This is not a hoax. It may be a dealer completely misinterpreted something, but I doubt it. These guys have been nothing but professional and were very cautious with the cash for clunkers for example, not over-promising and not doing a single deal until the 24th of July.

I'm not going to repeat all the names here, if you want them go back in the posts and find them yourself.

I have about a month before the car gets to 10,000 on the odo and if by then I don't have a new page from Toyota to replace the OCI details in the manual or something to that effect, I'll go ahead and do a 5K mile interval oil change. Though I'm pretty sure I'll be doing my next oil change at 15K under approved guidelines :rolleyes:.

4. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Well, you are right that it isn't official yet, but none of the rest actually does apply.

5. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just went in for a 1K mile oil change & asked my service manager about any changes and he hasn't heard a thing. This is a dealer in Maryland. I guess it's wait & see.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We'll all be hoping for the same!

7. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whoa..... Easy bud. I haven't said anything about your Momma. No need to take it personally. It's an oil change and will not define your life.

I posted in jest because this is going the way most new things go. Someone breaks the news, others say they know nothing about it, someone else says they heard it was true, someone says their dealer says they have heard nothing, official Prius team says says they know nothing about it...yet. Pretty typical. If I were a bettng man I would bet on it being officially confirmed by Toyota in the near future. Until then the verbal games will go on.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The most credible signs I see about this is that first A. The prius team did not "deny it" but said patience.
    Second B. Danny posted it which makes me think he knows something too..... he doesn't post lightly unless he at least thinks its a go.. of course his sources could be wrong too... but at least his sources are better than most of ours!

The thing I question the most is that no one has produced a phone number for anyone to call and verify from these dealers that say its a go.... so until that happens, they are not a viable source. Seems it should be extremely easy to get a phone number as long as we know which dealer. But even they are not the voice of Toyota.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whoa kids. If you won't play nice, I'll take away the toys for awhile

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which toys..... daytime or bedtime?

11. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I PM'ed toyotechwv the phone number and he said he'd call this afternoon and get back to us. He's the only one who asked for the phone number. I requested other dealers call as well figuring they all had each other's number on some national directory or something. But the dealer's name is spelled out in several of my posts here, if anyone wanted to call they can easily find the number, website, etc. on google.

12. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The shop manager at Koons was aware of the new changes but it's officials as yet in each part of the USA. It seems different regions will be official over the next several months. He didn't know why Toyota was doing it this way but until it's "official" in Virginia they still will change the oil according to the warranty. And that goes for everyone. Until it's official it's has to be done that way. He mentioned that it is that 10,000 between changes in Japan and has been from the start with the new Priuses.

Steve

13. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, the name of the dealership was given so I doubt it would take long to get a phone number. But I don't blame the OP for not providing that, it's not his/her duty to do so and I doubt a bunch of random people from the forum flooding the dealership with calls would be either helpful to us anyway.

I don't really doubt the OP is correctly passing along what the dealer is saying. The question to me is whether the dealership correctly understands what they are being told.

14. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You will have trouble taking our toys since we are all unidentified sources using screen names. Remember it took over 30 years after Watergate before we knew the identity of Deep Throat. :p

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

:D As always every thread has to degenerate into something related to s*x or end up with a reference to Hitler.

Been using the nom de plume below for 60 years....\/\/\/

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Now this sounds very interesting, provocative and actually has the ring of good corporate infighting, which makes me believe it moreso.

Let's go back to the SET situation. SET is NOT in anyway related to Toyota except being the single biggest customer. It can do as it wishes in marketing the vehicles and often does to the chagrin of many buyers. SET is a very successful operation. SET due to its size has a lot of clout and a lot of direct contact. Maybe SET sees what Toyota requires in Japan on the new Gen 3's with 0w-20 and ....

SET says..."Hey why not do that in the US also?".
    Toyota Corporate demures..."That's not the standard in the US....and besides we've already printed tens of thousands of Service Manuals".
    SET says..."So...?"
    Toyota Corporate: "Well that's not they way we do things, each market is independent from the others, JDM from NA from Europe."
    SET says: "So...?" "So if you're not going to change the OCI's to match those in the JDM.....then we will."
    Toyota Corporate: "Whoa, whoa...wait a second..let's discuss this and think about it for a while. There are other considerations [ such as all those dealers who do actually charge for and look to profit from the OCI's ] Are we stabbing this group in the back? Plus we don't have any input from any other region except SET."

In tomorrow's episode of 'Days of our Prius'.....

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think you've got it.... what would the world be like without politics?

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The bedtime toys. Don't worry, I'll be sure to play with them too

19. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can I ask why a 1,000 mile oil change? I got my 2010 IV and was told 5,000 miles for the first oil change. Did i miss something? Thanks.

20. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You didn't per se. It's just that some of the guys on here did an early oil change and had their oil sent out to a lab for testing. They were all coming back with very similar oil conditions that show that an early change to get out the factory oil with such impurities might be a good idea. I guess I am just being precautionary.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...8719-first-oil-change-results-1100-miles.html

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.